Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Climate Change - IPCC Report

We’re all doomed.

Well if we don’t collectively as a species make changes to how we live we are. Not sure I trust world leaders to take this seriously enough to stop climate change hitting the tipping point. I won’t be around to see the worst of things but I worry for my children and grandchildren.

http://www.ipcc.ch/pdf/session48/pr_181008_P48_spm_en.pdf

Comments

• Lot of hot air comes out of this forum. Comment not aimed at anyone in particular.
  • The Earth changes.
    We adapt.

repeat to fade.
  • I've started by buying a small South facing vineyard on the South Downs.

That's the kids and grandkids sorted.
  • edited October 2018
    There is an interesting Horizon programme which pretty much killed any possibility i might have entertained that human induced climate change isn't happening. I think you can get it on catch up. Frightening that so many people in power don't give it the priority it deserves and even try to debunk it. We will probably be alright, but I fear for our Grandchildren and children!
  • I suppose it is British nature to make light of a serious situation.

A few mild winters and warmer summers might not impact us so severely - but the hundreds of millions of children living in poverty who depend on our plant to survive are owed a fighting chance by those who can adjust their lives accordingly.

Sadly though, it's too late. You only have to look at the ivory trade to see some of the populations 'couldn't give a fuck' attitude to see a real life example of living for today and not tomorrow.

With most of the middle east economies propped up by fossil fuel and the millions in poverty dependant on single use plastic for food, cosmetics and vital supplies - they'll be World War 3 before any of the recommended actions by the IPCC are implemented on a scale to make an impact.
  • When people start dying in their tens of millions then the elites responsible for all this will probably lift a finger. Obviously by then it'll be far too late
  • Unfortunately people often take a position on what is best for them - often without realising it!
  • Sponsored links:

• Lot of hot air comes out of this forum. Comment not aimed at anyone in particular.

In that case the takeover & Brexit threads are a great renewable energy source and we should all go there.
  • Leuth said:

When people start dying in their tens of millions then the elites responsible for all this will probably lift a finger. Obviously by then it'll be far too late

This may have sneaked to the top three of the "@Leuth being over dramatic" posts.

How about over population being one of the main causes of climate change?
  • I suppose it is British nature to make light of a serious situation.

A few mild winters and warmer summers might not impact us so severely - but the hundreds of millions of children living in poverty who depend on our plant to survive are owed a fighting chance by those who can adjust their lives accordingly.

Sadly though, it's too late. You only have to look at the ivory trade to see some of the populations 'couldn't give a fuck' attitude to see a real life example of living for today and not tomorrow.

With most of the middle east economies propped up by fossil fuel and the millions in poverty dependant on single use plastic for food, cosmetics and vital supplies - they'll be World War 3 before any of the recommended actions by the IPCC are implemented on a scale to make an impact.

You'd better live up to your name then ;)
  • Addickted said:

Leuth said:

When people start dying in their tens of millions then the elites responsible for all this will probably lift a finger. Obviously by then it'll be far too late

This may have sneaked to the top three of the "@Leuth being over dramatic" posts.

So the tens of millions of people dying will be a good thing. Gotcha
  • Leuth said:

Addickted said:

Leuth said:

So is not over population a major factor in climate change? Neither are a good thing.

Just for reference;

• 55.3 million people die each year

• 151,600 people die each day

• 6,316 people die each hour

You should be writing a strongly worded letter to the elites responsible.
  • Leuth said:

Southbank said:

Well the IPCC may be right, but now that the BBC have banned anybody who opposes them from appearing we only have their word for it. Personally I would like to hear some critical or dissident voices before I make my mind up.

"Yes, my car is parked across these railway lines, and I can see a train coming, but I'd like to hear a dissenting opinion before I drive away"
    When I ask somebody if it is raining now I get a fact. When I ask if it will be raining tomorrow I get an opinion.
  • Addickted said:

Leuth said:

Addickted said:

Leuth said:

So is not over population a major factor in climate change? Neither are a good thing.

Just for reference;

I'm talking about people dying in mass famine/drought events, obviously

The vast majority of people on Earth contribute very little to global warming. Earth can theoretically support a population of over 10 billion humans. But when a majority of agriculture is either cattle or cattle feed, and when wealthy nations insist on meeting their energy needs by releasing millennia of accumulated carbon into the atmosphere...well it suits certain people to blame the equatorial masses, doesn't it? Oh, it'll be terribly tragic when they all start dying, won't it? I suppose there'll have to be some sort of dashed migration crisis. The Jerry can take them all, they seem to like it!
  • Sponsored links:

• Leuth said:

Addickted said:

Leuth said:

Addickted said:

Leuth said:

Just for reference;

I'm talking about people dying in mass famine/drought events, obviously

The vast majority of people on Earth contribute very little to global warming. Earth can theoretically support a population of over 10 billion humans. But when a majority of agriculture is either cattle or cattle feed, and when wealthy nations insist on meeting their energy needs by releasing millennia of accumulated carbon into the atmosphere...well it suits certain people to blame the equatorial masses, doesn't it? Oh, it'll be terribly tragic when they all start dying, won't it? I suppose there'll have to be some sort of dashed migration crisis. The Jerry can take them all, they seem to like it!
    Do you write Boris Johnson's speeches by any chance?

• Addickted said:

Leuth said:

Addickted said:

Leuth said:

Just for reference;

I'm slightly confused at the point you're making. That because of over population millions more people dying would reduce global warming?
  • edited October 2018
    Lots of scepticism on this thread which frankly astonishes me. Perhaps expert opinion really does mean naff all to us Brits.

The IPCC are essentially saying that unless we reduce our carbon emissions to ZERO by around 2030which is in just 12 years then the increase in global temperatures will hit 1.5 degrees. We currently sit at 1.0 degree. At that point we reach tipping point whereby we will be unable to reverse the damage.

Doubt there will be many experts that contradict this latest wide ranging study.
    Surely we have to be concerned?
  • So are we going to limit population growth ?
  • So are we going to limit population growth ?

I mean, how would we go about that?

Promote global women's equality including reproductive rights, birth control, education etc, through aid and diplomacy? Or some sort of wacky chemical-castration water-supply hi-jinks? I guess now I've said it it's been said #steriliseafrica
  • I've told my children to buy hilltop land
  • Good effort,we live 600M on the top of a cliff ---- got to put the resale price up surely
  • I remember seeing a show, where it was explained (by someone who actually studies it) that as countries become more developed, and have better education, equality and less child mortality, that kind of thing, the number of children tends to decrease, to close to two. This is happening in Europe and increasingly in many other countries (Bangladesh happened to be an example where this is starting to happen). Will take a lot of hard work, and time, but this is where the world seems to be heading.
  • McBobbin said:

I remember seeing a show, where it was explained (by someone who actually studies it) that as countries become more developed, and have better education, equality and less child mortality, that kind of thing, the number of children tends to decrease, to close to two. This is happening in Europe and increasingly in many other countries (Bangladesh happened to be an example where this is starting to happen). Will take a lot of hard work, and time, but this is where the world seems to be heading.

If the seas rise five metres there won't even BE a Bangladesh! Happy days mate