Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Only a matter of time - We're a massive sleeping giant

I still believe it only a matter of time before we get ourselves back to the Championship and think it's a case of when and not if we get to the Championship. It may be next season, it may not be next season but I am convicned that we will get there, even if we have to wait for Rolond to go.

So we find ourselves in a second stint in League 1. We are now in our 3rd year in this stint. We had a reasonable crack at the play-offs last year but fell short in the end. We have got ourselves back to the Championship before and I cannot see why it can't happen again. We have had some big names in this league (in the Premier League years) like the two Sheffields. Wednesday twice. Forest, Norwich, Leeds, Southampton and Blackburn. Most of whom got out within 3 years though Sheff U needed 5 or 6 years. Coventry have been down a little longer but they will probably go up at some point eventually. Portsmouth are on their way back. Wigan who were tradiotanally uptil the mid 2000s a lower league club who rose have pulled themselves back up into the Championship. There are other names who I am sure I have missed out.

While we are outside the Championship we will always be a massive club for that level we are in. We are a massive sleeping giant. Mainly down to Roland this time.

Had we had the right investment back in January 2014, would we have been able to make that big step up into the Premier League? Possibly. If not I feel we could have been minimum a little what like Derby have been in recent years and I still feel if gotten right we can be minimum a bit like what Derby have been, challenging.

We will have to be patient and we will have some setbacks on the ways like yesterday (6th October 2018) but this massive sleeping giant will rise again and get back into the Championship.

Comments

• What’s the longest shittest spell we have had in the English 3rd tier ....
    We may be in it , time will tell
  • We've got out of it after 3 years twice & straight back up once while I've been supporting us.
  • Too many mentions of “massive” for my liking.
  • As long as you have an owner who has no interest in football or our results then you're f***ed!
  • The last time we were a giant, Hitler still had plans for world domination.
    We are now a third tier club that struggles to beat Wimbledon and Gillingham.
    Enjoy the odd win but don't get ahead of ourselves until the new era starts.
    We got too excited after 4 wins and too down after two defeats.

We are in Limbo land and we could turn into a pygmy or average size but a giant is unlikely as we are feeding on scraps.
  • When are people gonna realise we are no longer the big club we used to be. We’re not a sleeping giant, this is our level otherwise we wouldn’t have been in it for 3 years. We do of course have Roland to blame for being here, but if we were still a big club we wouldn’t be drawing games with Accrington Stanley
  • Bollocks really.
  • Sponsored links:

• Giant ? nah
  • Giant ? nah

But sleeping yes...
  • When are people gonna realise we are no longer the big club we used to be. We’re not a sleeping giant, this is our level otherwise we wouldn’t have been in it for 3 years. We do of course have Roland to blame for being here, but if we were still a big club we wouldn’t be drawing games with Accrington Stanley

We're not a sleeping "giant" but by comparison with the rest of the division, we're still a massive club, second only to probably Sunderland

This in itself means nothing in the short term, but in the long term teams tend to end up at their natural level. Bournemouth won't be a PL side forever, for example.

Accrington are doing brilliantly at the moment, but that time will pass eventually. You look at teams like Yeovil who had a brief spell in the Championship, and are now 15th in L2.
  • No way should this club or its supporters accept League 1 as our natural level of football. Even if we ignore all of our history (which suggests mid table championship as our average), our stadium size (and cost) dictates that we either move up divisions or perish.
  • Not buying giant or sleeping tbh...

Declining due to our yellow toothed, grave averse and parcimonious Belgian owner, hoping not to go the way of the Dodo sort of football club... yes.
  • There is always what is known as "potential" for every club.

We are pretty much just the same as everyone else in that sense.

Palace, Bournemouth, wolves + a load more and the list goes on. We are one of those. They are currently, somewhat, "over-achieving".

Our training grounds top notch and the valleys a decent stadium.

That's about it.

Let's fast forward 20 years. Awww wow, where will we be????!!! Anyone's guess

Probably league one :-)
  • Comatose would be a better description.
  • Thought this was a Sheffield Wednesday thread
  • We shall remain where we are until Roland departs.
    I just cannot see us getting any level of success while he remains.

Under Duchatelet we will become a Saturday afternoon coffee club. That's our future in the big scheme of things if things don't get sorted out.
  • Sponsored links:

• Used to think we were a sleeping giant.
    I think the feeling passed in about 1970.
    Currently we are more of a punch-drunk pygmy.

We're not a sleeping "giant" but by comparison with the rest of the division, we're still a massive club, second only to probably Sunderland

I think Portsmouth and maybe Coventry fans might argue about that one.
  • Dave2l said:

There is always what is known as "potential" for every club.

We are pretty much just the same as everyone else in that sense.

Palace, Bournemouth, wolves + a load more and the list goes on. We are one of those. They are currently, somewhat, "over-achieving".

Our training grounds top notch and the valleys a decent stadium.

That's about it.

Let's fast forward 20 years. Awww wow, where will we be????!!! Anyone's guess

Probably league one :-)

Via a sustained spell in the Premier League followed by a bad fall ;)
  • Sleeping giant probably means different things to different people. My interpretation is a big club that has taken a tumble but is almost certain to bounce. This has traditionally been because they have big crowds that may diminish when times are harder but do not fall away significantly. I would put clubs like Man City, Newcastle and Sunderland is this category when they have dropped as far as League 1 either now or in the past.

As for Charlton, our place at in the Premier League is becoming a distant memory. The money that comes to clubs in the Premier League means that those that get there can stay there for a while, but they are likely to tumble back down in the fullness of time. I don't myself count clubs like that, which include Charlton, of course, as sleeping giants.

We weren't far off League 2 a couple of seasons ago and clubs like Leyton Orient and Blackpool have shown how far you can fall. We might have generally been stronger than Leyton Orient, but they are good example of how a bad owner can take you into obscurity. Things look a little better this season, but we are hardly on the way back. You wouldn't bet your home on Charlton not being in League Two within three years while we have the current owner. At least, I wouldn't!

This in itself means nothing in the short term, but in the long term teams tend to end up at their natural level. Bournemouth won't be a PL side forever, for example.

Accrington are doing brilliantly at the moment, but that time will pass eventually. You look at teams like Yeovil who had a brief spell in the Championship, and are now 15th in L2.
    Portsmouth and Coventry fans would disagree.
  • The money involved in football changes every few years. The money available to premiership teams just for being there is staggering atbthe moment, compared to the rest of the leagues. History tells us that this money is only going to increase over time.

The longer we are out of the prem, the more difficult it will be to get back into it, unless some serious investment occurs. I just can't see it and maybe if we are sold, all we can hope is that we are challenging for the Championship each season and then maybe we might get there. I just hope we can be proud of our club again, even if we are in league one.

Palace got in there and are making it stick. More money each year, ground improvements etc.... it's very depressing.
  • Not so much sleeping as punch-drunk from the blows landed on it by incompetent management.

Until we are owned and run by people who understand the industry, have a sensible plan for investment and growth, and recognise the important part fans play in the success of any team, we will never fulfil our potential.

Roland Out - and Today would not be too soon!
  • We have always sold our best players, Len Glover, Derek Hales, Paul Walsh.etc to Scott Parker.Jonjo Shelvey, the list goes on!
    Until that stops we will always be also rans!
  • Tbf we got in the play-offs last year and lost two incredibly tight games by a single goal. Play-offs are a lottery and if we had got to Wembley one game from promotion. Win that and we are up. Then if Bow could have been clever with what he had and in the market then maybe we can hang on in there and the name Charlton having up again could have attracked the odd better name. Even with the nutter above. Blackpool and Coventry have proved having dodgy owners promotion canbe achieved. Abliet from League 2.
  • We have always sold our best players, Len Glover, Derek Hales, Paul Walsh.etc to Scott Parker.Jonjo Shelvey, the list goes on!
    Until that stops we will always be also rans!

Every club is a selling club - Man U sold Ronaldo for Christsake! I guess it's just a matter of who you sell and when...