Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

WW1 St James’s Park

edited October 2018 in Not Sports Related
I know there are plenty on here that have a great interest in WW1 etc so I thought I’d give a pointer to what’s going on in St James’s Park.

Comments

• Is that Exeter or Newcastle :wink:
  • edited October 2018
    @Paulie8290 I think you are trying to be over smart...please note that this is under not football related. Nice try but could do better :wink:
  • Neither Newcastle nor Exeter play at grounds called St James's Park anyway.
  • edited October 2018
    Solidgone said:

@Paulie8290 I think you are trying to be over smart...please note that this is under not football related. Nice try but could do better :wink:

1 thing I have never been acused of is trying to be over smart, I cant even make smart half the time haha
  • Not sure what's happening with those photos. The thumbnails are the right way up, but when I click on them they go all antipodean. Is is a remembrance of Gallipoli?
  • @Stig Fields of battle and Lands of Peace. I didn’t have time to stop long and just thought you guys that have an interest in WW1 would already know about it. Sorry about the Aussie style snaps. Haven’t a clue why or how that happened. Maybe it’s a sign...?
  • Is that Exeter or Newcastle :wink:

There’s a blue sky, so I’m guessing it’s Exeter.
  • Its an exhibition by photographer Mike Sheil, it really is quite stunning, it was here in 2014 and has been to New York, Sydney, Dublin, Belfast, Paris, Ottowa and Kansas City before returning to London for the Armistice centenary.

Mike is an award winning photographer who now, having retired from that industry, works as a battlefield guide and has travelled the globe taking the shots.

Its completely free to view, had several million viewers so far and it has been very well received so do go and have a look if your passing.
  • http://www.fieldsofbattle1418.org/

Was this at the Guildhall a while back? I think Mike Sheil gave a talk @SE7toSG3
  • Sponsored links:

• Regarding WW1 the Peter Jackson film 'They shall not grow old' will be shown on BBC on Armistice day - the century old footage which has been colourised is supposed to be very impressive.

Also a limited cinema release.
  • Yes Ben its the same one, he has two installations travelling concurrently, Chicago is open the same time as St James's.

Mike works as one of my guides and has been to the Valley with me, it was Mike who got the Loos Football for us when we unveiled the memorial back in 20whenever a few years back.
  • SE7toSG3 said:

Yes Ben its the same one, he has two installations travelling concurrently, Chicago is open the same time as St James's.

Mike works as one of my guides and has been to the Valley with me, it was Mike who got the Loos Football for us when we unveiled the memorial back in 20whenever a few years back.

November 2014.

Thought it must have been the same.
  • Watched an item on the news about war graves this morning.
    Apparently there will be an apology.
    Some people may be interested, even shocked.
    Will say no more to avoid the usual pile on.