Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Banksy.

Self shredding art. Brilliant.
Not sure if the buyer at over £1m will be happy though.

Comments

• I'm sure that a) Sotheby's knew and b) the buyer would not be obligated to buy afterwards, although I'm sure that little stunt boosted the value.

Other than that though, yeah, brilliant.
  • From the pictures it looks like it was still in Sotheby's possession on the wall - so doubt the buyer will have to pay. Doubt they knew about it - they are a very staid organisation. I guess the shredder was hidden in the frame and operated by someone at the auction remotely. Good publicity though.
  • My mate from Bristol is adamant that Banksy is actually Robert del Naja (3D) from Massive Attack.
  • I'd still want it and would try to put it back together again

Would clearly show as being shredded but you'd have the sole Banksy like that
  • Brilliant keeper
  • cafc-west said:

From the pictures it looks like it was still in Sotheby's possession on the wall - so doubt the buyer will have to pay. Doubt they knew about it - they are a very staid organisation. I guess the shredder was hidden in the frame and operated by someone at the auction remotely. Good publicity though.

I worked in one of the other major auctioneers in 2009, and quite simply there's no chance they wouldn't have known. More for the purposes of ensuring it isn't a fraud more than anything. Their reputation is at stake and in ensuring the provenance, they would reveal any battery packs or power supplies... Unless it's been dumbed down significantly since then. It's a nice story but it's all hype, much like the modern art world!
  • Frame it as a shredded piece and its probably worth double.

Genius though
  • Frame it as a shredded piece and its probably worth double.

Genius though

Agreed, I am sure this increased the value.
  • cafc-west said:

From the pictures it looks like it was still in Sotheby's possession on the wall - so doubt the buyer will have to pay. Doubt they knew about it - they are a very staid organisation. I guess the shredder was hidden in the frame and operated by someone at the auction remotely. Good publicity though.

Conspiracy time - Southeby's and Banksy colaberate and get a stooge in the crowd to outbid everyone. As the hammer falls, the picture gets shredded, it gets re-framed as a shredded piece and sells for £3m, everyone's a winner.

You heard it here first folks
  • Sponsored links:

• It’s definitely increased the value, overall I think it’s a great “stunt” that I can’t see anyone having a problem with... except maybe the seller?
  • cafc-west said:

Conspiracy time - Southeby's and Banksy colaberate and get a stooge in the crowd to outbid everyone. As the hammer falls, the picture gets shredded, it gets re-framed as a shredded piece and sells for £3m, everyone's a winner.

I don't think Banksy was the seller, if I read it right.
  • cafc-west said:

I don't think Banksy was the seller, if I read it right.
    That's the problem with conspiracy theories mate
  • My mate from Bristol is adamant that Banksy is actually Robert del Naja (3D) from Massive Attack.

Not him, del Naja is a miserable prick.
  • Vandal!

Tsk.
  • Quite inspired.
  • edited October 2018
    Need to update my avatar!
  • I'd happily shred everything he ever did.
  • Pringle said:

I'd happily shred everything he ever did.

Not if you had paid good money for it!
  • Sponsored links:

• edited March 2021
    shine166 said:
    just fetched 14.4m and all the money going tonthe NHS 
    Never thought I'd see Banksy subsidising the government.