Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post match views: Charlton v Coventry

Comments

• Options
    4 defeats before Christmas,automatics, nah not unless we go on an incredible run, playoffs, maybe / should be, another season of missed opportunities and what might have been, more likely, just go please Roland!
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    The Reeves sub looked daft at the time.

Dijksteel needs to shape up. I don't really buy the whole "he's a defensive midfielder" thing. Full back is the easiest position of the lot....all you need is a positive mind set . We get a throw just in their half and he's looking backwards. If and when we either get players back or we switch to Mark Marshall, then he needs to be loaned into Div 2 or non league.

Fosu flatters at home. His away record is excellent but only has one goal at home and doesn't create a lot. He was clogging it up today. Have him as sub and start Ward (who looks good to me).

Overall....some of the ball winning and passing was fine.....but when it came to killer balls, Cov did it when it counted (the ball for the winner was superb). When we did it (Solly cross for Taylor) we didn't put it away.
  • Options

Scoham said:

poor selection .. our defence is useless at Scunny and is retained en masse a few days later .. I assume Solly was a fish out of water at left back .. Bielek was on the bench, why didn't he start ? .. at least we are not alone .. Posh thumped at home as were Donny, who'd'a thought the Gills would win at Pompey .. still all to play for

You assume wrong. He was fine, did a decent job as he usually has done at left back.

However neither Dijksteel, a defensive midfielder, or Solly, on his wrong side, offered much as an attacking threat. Solly used his left foot at times but mainly came back on his right which sometimes slowed the attacking down. That’s where we missed Page.

It was obvious we needed a second goal and didn’t get it. Nearly won at the end through Ward, instead we missed and straight after that Coventry scored.

Got to be better at both ends. First half we had a great chance blocked/cleared (Grant and Fosu?) and another, a Taylor header he didn’t get enough power or direction on which was saved on the line by their keeper.

Taylor had a good game, both creating chances for other and looking to score himself.

Aribo seemed to disappear as the game went on, almost forgot he was playing.

We looked good on the ball, tried get in behind and put in different types of crosses but we didn’t do enough to win the game. Being only 1-0 up meant the game could go either way. Had we got that second goal I think we’d have been fairly comfortable, well as much as a Charlton team can with that score line anyway.
    so .. Solly couldn't get forward, couldn't use his left foot, slowed the attack down and wasn't a 'fish out of water' .. he's playing out of position what did you expect .. a terrific player for us BUT he's NOT a left back ..i.e. a fish out of water .. what about the rest of my post ? .. why no Bielek ? ..
    He did get forward, but not in the way that a natural left footed left back would. I said it sometimes slowed down the attack, not every time. It was his excellent cross that Taylor should have scored from.

He had a decent game, describing him as a "fish out of water" suggests he struggled and shouldn't play there again.

Scoring 1 goal and conceding 2 wasn't down to Solly. Others missed chances, made the wrong decisions, had crosses blocked, made mistakes defensively etc.

With Bielik back Bowyer has the option of a back four of Solly Bielik Pearce Sarr, which would be more balanced.
  • Options
    The penalty looked a bit iffy. There were other chances we should have put away. Just hit the target - surely a professional footballer should be able to do this ??
  • Options
    PWR
    Played some great stuff, at times. Penalty timing was perfect - great time to score. Couldn't see anything but a win. Aribo, Cullen and Reeves working well together - even the defence doing a reasonable job and Taylor and Grant with a good understanding. Second half their manager decided to change things and bought on 2 big, strong attackers and they went for it and succeeded. For me taking off Reeves was a big mistake. The midfield became unbalanced and it only helped them. Reeves was having a good game and poor George wasn't really ready for it. He looked a bit tired and off the pace. Could feel the equaliser coming but the winner was a real kick in the teeth. Long journey home...
  • Options
    Scoham said:

Scoham said:

poor selection .. our defence is useless at Scunny and is retained en masse a few days later .. I assume Solly was a fish out of water at left back .. Bielek was on the bench, why didn't he start ? .. at least we are not alone .. Posh thumped at home as were Donny, who'd'a thought the Gills would win at Pompey .. still all to play for

You assume wrong. He was fine, did a decent job as he usually has done at left back.

However neither Dijksteel, a defensive midfielder, or Solly, on his wrong side, offered much as an attacking threat. Solly used his left foot at times but mainly came back on his right which sometimes slowed the attacking down. That’s where we missed Page.

It was obvious we needed a second goal and didn’t get it. Nearly won at the end through Ward, instead we missed and straight after that Coventry scored.

Got to be better at both ends. First half we had a great chance blocked/cleared (Grant and Fosu?) and another, a Taylor header he didn’t get enough power or direction on which was saved on the line by their keeper.

Taylor had a good game, both creating chances for other and looking to score himself.

Aribo seemed to disappear as the game went on, almost forgot he was playing.

We looked good on the ball, tried get in behind and put in different types of crosses but we didn’t do enough to win the game. Being only 1-0 up meant the game could go either way. Had we got that second goal I think we’d have been fairly comfortable, well as much as a Charlton team can with that score line anyway.
    so .. Solly couldn't get forward, couldn't use his left foot, slowed the attack down and wasn't a 'fish out of water' .. he's playing out of position what did you expect .. a terrific player for us BUT he's NOT a left back ..i.e. a fish out of water .. what about the rest of my post ? .. why no Bielek ? ..
    He did get forward, but not in the way that a natural left footed left back would. I said it sometimes slowed down the attack, not every time. It was his excellent cross that Taylor should have scored from.

He had a decent game, describing him as a "fish out of water" suggests he struggled and shouldn't play there again.

Scoring 1 goal and conceding 2 wasn't down to Solly. Others missed chances, made the wrong decisions, had crosses blocked, made mistakes defensively etc.

With Bielik back Bowyer has the option of a back four of Solly Bielik Pearce Sarr, which would be more balanced.
    Solly's difficulty was that the midfield diamond formation was far too narrow. So many times he'd find himself with the ball out on the wing but completely isolated. The only players ahead of him were Coventry defenders and his only support available by playing back in to the middle which was crammed with Coventry players. How many times in the first half did he end up faffing about with pointless passes on the halfway, unable to work the ball through Coventry's midfield?
  • Options
    @blackpool72 good post mate
  • Options
    J BLOCK said:

If we had Amos we would be in playoffs right now, end of story.

Lack of depth costing us again, like it has done every season under this prick. Solly at left back and not a decent goal keeper in the building.

Lucky to get playoffs.

100% Roland out.

But he's conceding lots at Millwall!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2018
    Got revenge on them guys and girls

• Options
    cabbles said:

Thanks.
    It was an honest opinion.
  • Options
    Boycotter so only seen clip of 2nd goal where I criticised Steer and Pearce. But in retrospect Djiksteel was 1 on 2 with no support in the frame and when the cross came over, nobody between the crosser and Pearce. Precious few red shirts in shot. In retro seems organisation failures although no excuse for Steer.
  • Options

cabbles said:

Thanks.
    It was an honest opinion.
    Thing is though mate the tactics are down to bowyer
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    I never mind losing.

I am a Charlton supporter and used to that feeling.

I finally thought that with an old player back in charge, choosing his own type of player albeit under strained financial circumstances, I could put the horror show of Monsieur Roland Dipshit to the back of my mind...

Hell no. What is happening here? are we that perpetually cursed as a club that we continue to repeat the same mistakes? Seems so. Put your hands up if you thought at 1-0 up with 10 minutes of normal time to go at home, that a oh too obvious kick in the bollocks was on it's way? One... two... three... f..o..u... yep quite a few of us I see.

Well at this moment in time I fucking hate you Charlton, but i'll be back loving you at 3 o'clock on the 20th!
  • Options

Want to add credit to the Coventry fans again... really good noise they made from the Jimmy Seed

Including this number for about 5-10mins when we were in complete control

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5gOBj0PK0Y

Aaahhh once again that pointless pastime of throwing your pint in the air!
  • Options

The penalty looked a bit iffy. There were other chances we should have put away. Just hit the target - surely a professional footballer should be able to do this ??

Stonewall pen in my opinion.
  • Options
    cabbles said:

Spot on for me. I think Bowyer knows what he wants and is a winner so hopefully he’ll use these next 2 weeks to take stock

He’s of course still a young manager learning and from the way he’s started since March last year, I truly believe he will get us firing again
  • Options
    Scoham said:

Imagine if it was Solly, Sarr and Phillips trying to stop that goal...
    Slight suspicion of offside.
  • Options
    Bizarre. I'm in a hotel in Andorra. The restaurant floor is artistically decorated with what looks like bits of wooden crates, and the name St Truiden is there. Over and over again. I've got a photo but don't know how to load it. Probably for the best after today.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We are below Accrington Stanley, joy
  • Options

We are below Accrington Stanley, joy

We won't be after 46 games.
  • Options
    cabbles said:

Davo55 said:

First thing to say - Lyle Taylor was magnificent for the whole 90 minutes. He was everywhere, beating players and carrying our major goal threat. He did not deserve to be on the losing side.

Secondly - it feels like a smash and grab but we only have ourselves to blame.For about 70 minutes we were far superior to Coventry but without creating enough chances and being clinical enough when they did come along. Even near the end Jamie Ward had a golden chance to ut us 2-1 up but headed wide in front of a gaping goal. As soon as Coventry realised they were in with a shout and started applying some pressure, we just folded. Djiksteel just isn't good enough at RB. It is absolutely no surprise that both Coventry goals came from breaks down his flank. He is too slow, gets turned too easily and just doesn't add anything to attacking moves. A modern full back makes as much of a contribution going forwards as in defence. We desperately need to strengthen in both full back positions if we really want to challenge for promotion.

Other than that - Steer looks dodgy. He just lets in too many goals, especially from close in. Cullen, Reeves and Fosu looked classy in midfield but we have to create more.

That's drawn one and lost two in the last three games. Not good enough.

Great summary Davo. Agree 100% re Taylor, didn’t deserve to be on the losing team

I’m fuming. Not acceptable
    I can vouch for that. cabbles was having his first meltdown of the season.
  • Options

Want to add credit to the Coventry fans again... really good noise they made from the Jimmy Seed

Including this number for about 5-10mins when we were in complete control

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5gOBj0PK0Y

They were silent for the whole of the first half. I even commented to my dad about how quiet it was for such a big away following. Picked up in the second half but I wouldn't say I was overly impressed by them if you were to compare them to us at Pompey, Southend or Luton on recent outings.
  • Options
    In the first half, when 0-0 I was sure there would be goals
    At half time I was sure the game wouldn't finish 1-0
    In added time at 1-1 I was confident there would be another goal

Our matches are quite predictable at the moment. Goals at both ends, as we have attacking threat but look so vulnerable at the back, and there are always late twists. Sadly this time it wasn't to our benefit.
  • Options
    Managed to avoid thinking about the game as was watching Strictly (which was really good and therapeutic)

Had no confidence in our defence to hold out, as the current back 4 isn't good enough, and they don't get enough protection in front of them. If we have no fit defenders on the bench (Bielik is clearly not ready yet) but can leave Marshall out of the squad completely, there's something wrong with the squad balance.

Taylor was brilliant BUT missed an absolute sitter in the first half. Reeves was excellent, not idea why he was taken off as he did so much work in a deep role. Djiksteel was poor, but left very exposed after Reeves went off. Unconvinced by Steer.

We REALLY miss Bauer.
  • Options
    Thought Bowyer should have played KAG today.
  • Options
    edited October 2018
  • Options

In other words we're f***ed....