Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Bit of Post War City of London Nostalgia

As someone who spent a great deal of my career working in locations near St Pauls and Moorgate I found this short documentary fascinating and full of scenes that took me back to an earlier time.

Comments

• Options
    I remember when in the early 50s this area was mostly bomb debris.
  • Options
    Great posts just retired from the city myself worked in Salisbury house overlooking finsbury circus for most of my 39 years...one day I will write a book but it was the constant building and rebuilding that somehow demonstrates the futility of the individual...the closure of so many pubs .the rise of coffee shops sandwich bar chains seem to have depersonalised everything...
  • Options
    Minneapolis has a 'downtown' heated walkway system .. essential in the freezing cold winters otherwise no-one would venture out to go to work or do any shopping

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minneapolis_Skyway_System
  • Options
    lolwray said:

the closure of so many pubs .the rise of coffee shops sandwich bar chains seem to have depersonalised everything...

I blame the recruitment agencies in the City...all that ‘have you got time for a coffee...’
  • Options

Minneapolis has a 'downtown' heated walkway system .. essential in the freezing cold winters otherwise no-one would venture out to go to work or do any shopping

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minneapolis_Skyway_System

Pretty sure they would.
  • Options
    Those shots of St Paul’s standing proud in the middle of a rubble field really are amazing.
  • Options
    lolwray said:

Great posts just retired from the city myself worked in Salisbury house overlooking finsbury circus for most of my 39 years...one day I will write a book but it was the constant building and rebuilding that somehow demonstrates the futility of the individual...the closure of so many pubs .the rise of coffee shops sandwich bar chains seem to have depersonalised everything...

Too right, I was gutted when Scott's in Cullum Street shut. Best bacon sandwiches ever.
  • Options
    Spent most of my working life around Finsbury Square before I moved to the US. I still go for a drink around there when I visit as our offices in London are still there. I have to say I prefer it the way it is now, as it was a bit of a ghost town after about 8pm. But we did know where to get lock-in’s for the afternoon and late at night.