Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Comments

• Great servant for the club...

Must be in shock at scoring though seeing he said that Kenilworth Road is a nice Ground

Must be in shock at scoring though seeing he said that Kenilworth Road is a nice Ground

I hate the grounds where the dugouts are on the opposite side to the dressing rooms.....Craven Cottage & AFC Wimbledon spring to mind. LB had to break into a trot just so the ref could start the 2nd half.

And the fact the away supporters have to trudge the length of the high street....bumping into shoppers & tripping over food stalls.
  • Is that Chris Solly in the picture???

In suppose he meant (as a player) he liked the closeness of the spectators and that it was full

Stadium MK for example is obviously a much nice ground, but playing in front of a 3/4 empty ground (if not more) must be a bit dispiriting. It also must be offputting when you can't see the away supporters, as they're half a mile up in the air (as at Sunderland!)
  • I thought there was a cracking atmosphere. I thoroughly enjoyed it.
  • Good to hear CS take on the togetherness of this squad, and his opinion on Igor and Ajosie because if we could get all 4 strikers chipping in with goals over the 90+ minutes we would take some stopping.
    Igor needs to stay fit and find the spark he had at the beginning of his Cafc career.
    Ajose is in the last chance saloon but he scored goals at Swindon why can't he here ?
    We won't keep too many clean sheets but we can score and if the 4 strikers plus the midfielders start to hit the net then we can get positive results, home and away.
  • dives for cover, but why is Solly in our starting eleven?
  • edited December 2018
    Redhenry said:

dives for cover, but why is Solly in our starting eleven?

Earlier in the season Id agree but not at the moment... think he's been quite solid of late and has been more consistent at Right Back than Dijksteel

i.e. I know its not Anfernee's primary position but feel he often switches off a bit much at times when playing there
  • Sponsored links:

• Thought he played well on Saturday, not that he did anything exceptional, but was solid and I don't remember them getting much joy down our Right flank. He can't get up and down the flank like he used to, but I can't think of someone else I'd rather have at RB in the current squad.
  • Redhenry said:

I would agree that he shouldn't be nearly as much of a guaranteed starter in recent years. But I think he's been largely solid this year, after a shaky start. I don't think he was stellar on Saturday but he was also hamstrung by having George Lapslie marginally in front of him, followed by Lapslie going for a wander.

Also, we literally don't have any other players who are natural fullbacks.
  • Solid won't get promotion. Sorry but I struggle to see what he adds.
  • edited December 2018
    A Solid Defence would get promotion... Solly has been average this season as has (insert chosen left back name here).

Personally think the only reason Solly is in the side is because we don't have another RB
  • Redhenry said:

Solid won't get promotion. Sorry but I struggle to see what he adds.

Problem is - who else do we play there? Djiksteel is somewhat out of position there, and won't get forward like a proper attacking winger, I reckon there is a better option in the market in the Jan window, but then we'll have to spend money (probably) which we all know is a problem for the Rat.

Like to also point out that when Lapslie was in front of Solly on Sat he didn't provide a great deal of width to the play on the RW, almost playing centrally, but when Marshall came on we were a lot more dangerous down that flank, and linked up better with Solly. Might not be entirely Sollys fault. I have only seen one game recently mind so basing it entirely off that
  • Redhenry said:

An attacking right wing back could add a lot to this team, especially since we usually play a diamond and if not a 3-5-2. They’d have to be enough of an improvement to make it worthwhile though.

Dijksteel offers less going forward than Solly, while I’m not convinced by Marshall as a genuine option there. Solly is still our best right back. Not being as good as he was doesn’t make him a bad player.

I don’t think we’ll be promoted but there are other areas I’d want to improve before trying to replace Solly. We need another left back, we need better alternatives up front, we lack wingers in the squad and don’t have cover for Cullen.

A few solid but unspectacular players in the squad isn’t a bad thing. It’s the right balance the squad needs rather than replacing those players (or having a squad full of them).
  • 'Rarely has a dreadful game'

These are our standards under RD
  • cafctom said:

Redhenry said:

He is one of the most intelligent players in the squad in and out of possession. Rarely does he put a foot wrong.

Full backs by their nature can be some of the biggest liabilities in any side if they are too attacking or if they switch off defensively. It’s a real ‘all or nothing’ position.

In Chris Solly we have a player who rarely has a dreadful game, and has a ton of experience in a relatively young side.

If you’re expecting full backs who will surge up the pitch beating players with pace and whipping in deadly crosses every game then I’m sorry but you won’t find much of that at League One level where we are.
    And our fans would only cut them to shreds anyway!
  • Sponsored links:

• The diamond formation asks an awful lot of the full backs. Just look how many of the goals we've conceded this season have been from wide areas.

Think by and large Solly does a very good job there. More noticeable when Dijksteel plays there who tends to make positional errors that I'm not sure Solly would make. Even Page got caught out a few times before his injury. It helps when he has Reeves in front of him as well who I think is very underrated in terms of his defensive contribution.
  • alicwkd said:

The diamond formation asks an awful lot of the full backs. Just look how many of the goals we've conceded this season have been from wide areas.

Think by and large Solly does a very good job there. More noticeable when Dijksteel plays there who tends to make positional errors that I'm not sure Solly would make. Even Page got caught out a few times before his injury. It helps when he has Reeves in front of him as well who I think is very underrated in terms of his defensive contribution.

I agree that the diamond asks an awful lot of the FB's. I also agree with Redhenry, Solly is no longer good enough to win promotion. A solid FB in a 442, but a diamond with reliance on the FB is where Solly lacks.

• Scoham said:

Redhenry said:

An attacking right wing back could add a lot to this team, especially since we usually play a diamond and if not a 3-5-2. They’d have to be enough of an improvement to make it worthwhile though.

Dijksteel offers less going forward than Solly, while I’m not convinced by Marshall as a genuine option there. Solly is still our best right back. Not being as good as he was doesn’t make him a bad player.

I don’t think we’ll be promoted but there are other areas I’d want to improve before trying to replace Solly. We need another left back, we need better alternatives up front, we lack wingers in the squad and don’t have cover for Cullen.

A few solid but unspectacular players in the squad isn’t a bad thing. It’s the right balance the squad needs rather than replacing those players (or having a squad full of them).
    Would much prefer Marshall as a wing-back then Solly personally.
  • If we end up with attacking full/wing backs, surely Solly could do a job as the holding midfielder? He's played there before occasionally, but with a preseason in that position, he could easily do that unsung work in front of the centre backs
  • Redhenry said:

Did Renhenry just use his "ITK" abilities to make himself look smart because he knew Solly was to be dropped? ... ;-)