Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Broadband/Telephone Providers

Currently with BT but paying about £75pm for Broadband, Phone and all inclusive calls. Looked at Plusnet yesterday and could get same for under £40pm. Anyone had any experience with them or recommend another provider.

Comments

• Plusnet are owned by BT but customer service is very good according to the customers I visit.
  • We had plusnet for a year and my mum has had them twice (she's currently with them). She did have a period during the first spell where it kept cutting out but is fine now. No issues at ours.
  • I have been with Plusnet for the last 6 years and it’s been a great experience. No dramas, good customer service if you need it and they upgraded me to fibre broadband for free which is very unusual.
  • If you are a light user you may not notice this, but worth noting

From Plusnet's website ...

Speeds can fluctuate depending on the time of day, too. Busy times mean more people using the same connection at once, which can cause congestion and slower performance.

From BT

BT's approach to broadband traffic management. At busy times, internet providers can slow down traffic on the network. ... We're proud to say that our broadband packages don't have any speed restrictions. So, if you're on one of our packages, you don't need to worry about us slowing you down.

Just saying ...
  • Raith, that’s down to two separate issues.
    BT and Plusnet will both have fluctuation on bandwidth. It is purely down to the level of use (contention) from the exchange. You’ll share the line with 30-40 other households so peak times will be slower as a result.

BT are saying they don’t employ traffic management which is basically restricting the speed at certain times. It’s often used for certain types of data - usually gaming traffic - and allows them to then prioritise traffic such as streaming of TV services. Virgin used to be notorious for traffic management but that is gone now, I understand.

————————————

If you are a light user you may not notice this, but worth noting

Speeds can fluctuate depending on the time of day, too. Busy times mean more people using the same connection at once, which can cause congestion and slower performance.

From BT

BT's approach to broadband traffic management. At busy times, internet providers can slow down traffic on the network. ... We're proud to say that our broadband packages don't have any speed restrictions. So, if you're on one of our packages, you don't need to worry about us slowing you down.

Just saying ...

• edited October 2018

Raith, that’s down to two separate issues.
    BT and Plusnet will both have fluctuation on bandwidth. It is purely down to the level of use (contention) from the exchange. You’ll share the line with 30-40 other households so peak times will be slower as a result.

BT are saying they don’t employ traffic management which is basically restricting the speed at certain times. It’s often used for certain types of data - usually gaming traffic - and allows them to then prioritise traffic such as streaming of TV services. Virgin used to be notorious for traffic management but that is gone now, I understand.

————————————

If you are a light user you may not notice this, but worth noting

From BT

Just saying ...

Great explanation. I worked for Plusnet a while back, they don't use traffic management.

Everyone you use except virgin, some talk-talk exchanges and hull use BT lines and engineers. So really, unless you use virgin, you are paying different prices for the same service. Your broadband experience comes down to the quality of your existing by line, how far you are from the exchange and your position on the local loop (How many houses between you and the green box at the end of the road).

You should make your decsion based on customer service and the companies attitude to fixing problems. Plusnet prided themselves on consistently finishing top in customer satisfaction surveys. Plus as it is part of BT you can get a cheap sports package.
  • Happy Plusnet customer here.