Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Jazz

Thought I'd start a thread on the genre, particularly with so much output from the young London/UK jazz scene in the last couple of years or so.

With the rise of Ezra Collective, Nubya Garcia, Alfa Mist, Sons of Kemet, Moses Boyd et al, it's a really exciting time to be getting out there and exploring the music being produced that doesn't just hark back to older jazz, but incorporates elements of neo-soul, rap/hip-hop, funk, classical, and nearly everything else.

It's all sort of fitting with one of my favourite descriptors of jazz - it's not a genre of music, so much as it is an approach to creating it. All these disparate elements being brought together in 2018 to create some really good music - it's great. I'll leave you with Alfa Mist's Antiphon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVO_R8uvMhE

Comments

• edited September 2018

Niicccee !!!!
  • C'mon, at least find a gif.

• This is an open goal
  • "I wanna be the greatest jazz player in Yorkshire"
  • That hamster jazz band just made my day! Thank you sir.
  • It's a no from The Don

• Missed It said:

That hamster jazz band just made my day! Thank you sir.

You're welcome :)
  • I love music, but I can't abide jazz.
    To me it's like scraping your finger nails down a blackboard.
  • Sponsored links:

I believe that is in fact a recognised jazz instrument.

I love music but can't abide reggae. To me every song sounds the same.
    I must admit some jazz could only be appreciated by people who play themselves and are on the same wavelength.

My current favourite listen is Tosin Abasi and Animals for leaders.
  • Jazz encompasses so many elements. I like old fashioned ragtime, boogie woogie and a bit of trad. I really enjoy swing and quite enjoy cool jazz. Freeform jazz, jazz funk I can leave well alone. Here's one that makes my feet tap:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KeEdM5tFqYw
  • edited September 2018
    If you like a bit of flute, have a listen to a friend of mine Chip Wickham

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epdK3wRJZsE
  • Jackson Jeffrey Jackson, nice
  • PaddyP17 said:

Thought I'd start a thread on the genre, particularly with so much output from the young London/UK jazz scene in the last couple of years or so.

With the rise of Ezra Collective, Nubya Garcia, Alfa Mist, Sons of Kemet, Moses Boyd et al, it's a really exciting time to be getting out there and exploring the music being produced that doesn't just hark back to older jazz, but incorporates elements of neo-soul, rap/hip-hop, funk, classical, and nearly everything else.

It's all sort of fitting with one of my favourite descriptors of jazz - it's not a genre of music, so much as it is an approach to creating it. All these disparate elements being brought together in 2018 to create some really good music - it's great. I'll leave you with Alfa Mist's Antiphon:

I love jazz, but haven't kept up to date with it, so those emerging acts you mention are all brand new to me. I'm enjoying the Alfa Mist, nice mellow sound for a Sunday morning. Thanks for posting this.
  • Theydon Bois on drums.....

I don’t mind a bit of Jazz guitar stuff but a lot of it leaves me cold.

A mate described it as 5 musicians playing 5 different tunes at the same time.
  • Sponsored links:

• Jazz just reminds me of being young and travelling back home in my dad’s car, late at night. It was the only thing you would hear of the radio.
  • Stig said:

PaddyP17 said:

I love jazz, but haven't kept up to date with it, so those emerging acts you mention are all brand new to me. I'm enjoying the Alfa Mist, nice mellow sound for a Sunday morning. Thanks for posting this.
    You're welcome! There's been quite a lot of evolution in jazz especially with the emergence of artists like Kendrick Lamar, who incorporates people like Kamasi Washington or Thundercat into his music, which in turn links through to other modern jazz acts. It's all a big family tree and I'm really enjoying the mini-renaissance that's coming.

I'm in the mood for something more traditional today though so here's one of the all-time great pianists, Oscar Peterson, with a scorching version of the C Jam Blues:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTJhHn-TuDY
  • Jazz has more sub genres than any other kind of music. I like Smooth Jazz (Boney James, Rick Braun etc.) / Jazz Fusion (Jeff Lorber Fusion, Weather Report etc.) and Modern Jazz similar to the artists mentioned in the opening posts. Although i cannot stand Swing and Trad.
  • Jazz has more sub genres than any other kind of music. I like Smooth Jazz (Boney James, Rick Braun etc.) / Jazz Fusion (Jeff Lorber Fusion, Weather Report etc.) and Modern Jazz similar to the artists mentioned in the opening posts. Although i cannot stand Swing and Trad.

Between us we have all bases covered then... :lol:
  • PaddyP17 said:

Stig said:

PaddyP17 said:

You're welcome! There's been quite a lot of evolution in jazz especially with the emergence of artists like Kendrick Lamar, who incorporates people like Kamasi Washington or Thundercat into his music, which in turn links through to other modern jazz acts. It's all a big family tree and I'm really enjoying the mini-renaissance that's coming.

I'm in the mood for something more traditional today though so here's one of the all-time great pianists, Oscar Peterson, with a scorching version of the C Jam Blues:

Oscar Peterson as far as I am concerned is the greatest jazz piano player that ever lived.
    Thanks for posting.
  • edited October 2018
    Stevelamb said:

PaddyP17 said:

Stig said:

PaddyP17 said:

Oscar Peterson as far as I am concerned is the greatest jazz piano player that ever lived.
    Thanks for posting.
    He's so good and does things that I technically have no idea how to replicate. But I'm such a huge Bill Evans fan - he completely reformed the idea of harmonic language on jazz piano, and the way he coloured his chords is just superlative. This is Waltz for Debby, Take 2, from Live at the Village Vanguard (1961). The bassist - the wondrous Scotty LaFaro - passed away just ten days after the recordings, in a car crash.

*EDIT - this was actually released on the album Waltz For Debby (same year), but from the Village Vanguard recordings. The works were later all released in one go by Riverside in the 2000s at some point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0FIsFD9MXU
  • PaddyP17 said:

Stevelamb said:

PaddyP17 said:

Stig said:

PaddyP17 said:

Thanks for posting.
    He's so good and does things that I technically have no idea how to replicate. But I'm such a huge Bill Evans fan - he completely reformed the idea of harmonic language on jazz piano, and the way he coloured his chords is just superlative. This is Waltz for Debby, Take 2, from Live at the Village Vanguard (1961). The bassist - the wondrous Scotty LaFaro - passed away just ten days after the recordings, in a car crash.

*EDIT - this was actually released on the album Waltz For Debby (same year), but from the Village Vanguard recordings. The works were later all released in one go by Riverside in the 2000s at some point.

Great thanks for posting.
    A few weeks ago I went to see a Dudley Moore tribute band at Ronnie's and they were saying how much Dudley Moors piano jazz work was based on Oscar Peterson and how he spent months trying to get it right.
  • Stevelamb said:

PaddyP17 said:

Stevelamb said:

PaddyP17 said:

Stig said:

PaddyP17 said:

Thanks for posting.

Great thanks for posting.
    A few weeks ago I went to see a Dudley Moore tribute band at Ronnie's and they were saying how much Dudley Moors piano jazz work was based on Oscar Peterson and how he spent months trying to get it right.
    I can hear a lot of OP in this recording from Moore - plenty of similarities between that and OP's version of Days of Wine and Roses. Very apt comparison.

I can hear a lot of Erroll Garner in his playing, too, and some Bud Powell and Fatha Hines - but then, the last two influenced probably every jazz pianist that's existed since!
  • I have very eclectic musical tastes ( blues, R & B, prog, metal, prog metal, 80s / 90s electronic stuff, punk, new wave, indie - big fan of the Beatles / Stones / Rush, Led Zepp, Purple, Jerhro Tull, the Jam & the Smiths in particulars ) got into Jazz last year - really love the bebop stuff in particular and listened to lots of Charlie Parker, Dizzy Gillespie & Miles Davis in particular - favourite record so far is the Quintet (Roach / Gillespie / Parker / Mingus / Powel) at Massey Hall.

Spent a hugely enjoyable ten days in New York in August and the hotel we stayed in was straight across from Birdland - so had a very enjoyable evening watching the resident big band - moving in the direction of bebop with most of the solos so I was very happy ( last gig I went to before that was Mastadon at the Brixton Academy, somquite a change of pace )

Trouble is that I like some of the very early stuff, hard bop, big band and a little of the later Miles Davis ( Bitches Brew for example ) but I have no idea where to go next, or of contemporary stuff worth a listen - cool does nothing for me and jazz funk I loathe!

Any suggestions?