Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Up to 50m Facebook accounts attacked

Facebook has said “almost 50 million” of its users were left exposed by a security flaw.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-45686890

Comments

• This was my point on the DNA thread @ShootersHillGuru - these companies don't give a shit about the safety of your data.
  • This was my point on the DNA thread @ShootersHillGuru - these companies don't give a shit about the safety of your data.

Point taken although I still fail to see why my DNA is of value to anyone ?

Your DNA and your personally identifiable data and your payment information.

So, in effect, all the information that proves who you are. Steal that information and you create a new, bio-backed identity, compromise all your finances and prevent you ever being able to secure loans or finance agreements ever in the future.
  • Surely due a big GDPR fine?
  • Chizz said:

This was my point on the DNA thread @ShootersHillGuru - these companies don't give a shit about the safety of your data.

So, in effect, all the information that proves who you are. Steal that information and you create a new, bio-backed identity, compromise all your finances and prevent you ever being able to secure loans or finance agreements ever in the future.
    Yeah, but apart from that, whats the problem?
  • Surely due a big GDPR fine?

Getting hacked is not something you get automatically punished for. I’m almost certain that their security measures are some of the best in the world and they’ve done the necessary reporting.

Hackers are always going to be one step ahead.
  • They won’t be able to hack my Facebook account.
  • Chizz said:

This was my point on the DNA thread @ShootersHillGuru - these companies don't give a shit about the safety of your data.

That sort of financial data is hardly anything to do with my dna though is it. I’m sure that you’re right that having your personal financial data out there is a risk. What I’m saying is that my dna data is worthless.

• Hey Hun you ok? Message me.
  • Although in my 50's (I like it like that!) I do have a FB account. I have my own business and FB is a very cheap way of reaching a hell of a lot of people from a marketing perspective.
    But what I don't understand is what hackers can get from your FB account that is worth anything?
  • Sponsored links:

• Riviera said:

Although in my 50's (I like it like that!) I do have a FB account. I have my own business and FB is a very cheap way of reaching a hell of a lot of people from a marketing perspective.
    But what I don't understand is what hackers can get from your FB account that is worth anything?

All your data, which includes, but is not limited to, personal information, browser hostory, internet habbits, this stuff is worth a FORTUNE to advertisers, targeted ads are obviously far more succesful.

If he has time, I imagine @Leroy_Ambrose could give a lot more detail, it's very serious business these days.

It can also be used to swing elections, as we've seen several times around the world.
  • Chizz said:

That sort of financial data is hardly anything to do with my dna though is it. I’m sure that you’re right that having your personal financial data out there is a risk. What I’m saying is that my dna data is worthless.

Is your DNA information stored by any company that doesn't also have either your payment or bank account details? If you have DNA data stored by a company that also has payment data, that could also be compromised.

Do you know who has your DNA data? And do you know whom they have shared it with? And do you know the level of risk of any those businesses? Can your DNA data be matched against any other database that has more information on you? Such as financial data?

Your DNA data - like all other data you own - is far from worthless. Imagine if your DNA data, once compromised, could be matched against medical data that's available now or in the future. Your DNA profile might (almost certainly will) be able to determine whether you are prone to be susceptible to a number of illnesses or diseases. Equally, it will show whether you are congenitally predisposed to be resistant to conditions. If this falls into the hands of private medical insurers, you will immediately become uninsurable. Why would any insurer risk covering you for an illmess you are very likely to get? Why would you pay premiums to insure yourself against an illness you can't catch? Health insurance will become either prohibitively expensive, or unrequired. It will take one company to know this information about you to prevent you ever being able to take out insurance.

This domesday scenario may also extend to any children you have. Insurers will have a significant tranche of knowledge about which diseases your direct descendants should and shouldn't be insured for. Even before they are born.

Aggregate this data with other data that could be acquired - legally, illegally or somewhere in between - and unscrupulous businesses (or, more accurately, "businesses") can build up a complex, detailed picture of you, your behaviour, your propensity to take any given action, your future health chances and, likely, your lifespan.

Your DNA data isn't worthless. Like all bits of data about you - or anyone else - it's priceless.