Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

What's the best people carrier?

edited September 2018 in Not Sports Related
Looking for a new car to share with the FIL, on Friday's or Saturday's he has all 5 grandchildren and therefore we've agreed to get a motor together.

Neither of us do big journies, my commute is about 5 miles each way, so that'll be 4 days per week.

As this forum is full of parents, I was just wondering what the best Dad Wagon out there is?

Ideally should have a CD player and Bluetooth.

Cheers.

Comments

• Do you mean off the forecourt new?
  • Need a decent sized family for that one.
  • Are you after a 7 seater SUV (which in most cases in 5 + 2) or a full MPV?
  • Budget?

A Zafira is hard to beat for a cheap family wagon. Nissan Quashqai also good value.

• Budget? New or used?
  • edited September 2018
    Had a 7 seat Citroen Grand Picasso for last three years. Best car I’ve ever owned.
    Changing it for a 7 seat BMW in November. Was actually a hard choice. The Citroen has been that good.
  • Had a 7 seat Citroen Grand Picasso for last three years. Best car I’ve ever owned.
    Changing it for a 7 seat BMW in November. Was actually a hard choice. The Citroen has been that good.

OMG best car ever is Citroen Grand Picasso, there's a sentence you wouldn't hear often.
  • Had a 7 seat Citroen Grand Picasso for last three years. Best car I’ve ever owned.

OMG best car ever is Citroen Grand Picasso, there's a sentence you wouldn't hear often.
    Best I’ve ever owned.

• Sponsored links:

• Ford Galaxy. Had one for the last 10 years. Parts (if you need them) not silly money. Current one is 122000 miles. Auto box. Get 40mph on a run. Excellent 7 seat. Mate had a Scenic, died after 5 years ,even main dealer couldn't get it going. Also Fords do not catch fire like a Zafira!!
  • edited September 2018
    JohnBoyUK said:

Are you after a 7 seater SUV (which in most cases in 5 + 2) or a full MPV?

Most likely something like an S Max or Zafira are the considerations at the moment

Looking at nearly new.
  • Headroom in the 2 pop up seats at the back of a S Max are a bit tight compared to a Galaxy. Depends on the height of the grandkids. Drive your short list and see which one ticks your box. Lots of space in a Ford.
  • Loved our 7 seater Renault Scenic Dynamique auto.

Until the wife drove it in front of a bus at a roundabout.
    Then had a Citroen Grand Picasso and thought it was a dog compared to the Renault.

How old are the kids and are they in car seats or boosters?
    Go for one that has 3 independent moving seats in the back rather than a bench seat or 60/30 seat.

Qashqai +2’s extra seats not suitable for anyone over 6 in my opinion.
  • I had a Zafira around the turn of the century when my lads were small. It was brilliant. So easy to convert from 5 seater with huge boot (which was great for family of 4 holiday or day out when you need to take load of gear) to a comfortable 7 seater but with no boot space as such but ideal for running around your kids and a couple of their friends to football etc.
    That was my budget back then but to be honest the Chrysler Voyager was what I wanted. Hired one for a couple of weeks in Florida in 2003 and it was fantastic. I am well out of that market now but always felt that the likes of Zafira, Galaxy and Voyager were more practical than something like the Volvo C90 where you had to almost assemble the extra seats.
    Can’t really comment on the more modern SUV’s as opposed to the old MPV’s.
  • Anyone who has competed in Worlds Strongest Man
  • We’ve got a BMW Gran Tourer which is a 7 seater and costs about the same as an S Max

Test drove both and there was no comparison but the S Max is definitely bigger and the 2 back seats on mine aren’t great for aged 10 plus as the leg room isn’t great

If you are regularly using the back seats then I would say S Max or Galaxy
  • Our S-Max has been great in the 4 years we’ve had it. Really good to drive and nice looking car.
  • I have the new Peugeot 5008 and love it. Great gadgets and lots of space
  • Sponsored links:

• Is "best people carrier" an oxymoron? Probably. Get yourself something enjoyable and tell him to use a taxivan if he wants to go anywhere with the kids in tow....... Or alternatively, this 8-seater is the dog's: https://saxton4x4.co.uk/used/4x4/mercedes-benz/sprinter/sprinter-3.0-319-cdi-monaco-vip-black-for-sale-lf17odk/
  • We've got an S-Max Titanium Sport, 2 litre Diesel, automatic gear box, absolute dream to drive, the 2 'boot' seats are very good, loads of space

all the usual gadgets, Bluetooth etc....had since 6 months old, it's a 64 plate, reliable as anything.

would highly recommend.
  • Have you looked at the Mercedes R Class mate?
  • We've got an S-Max Titanium Sport, 2 litre Diesel, automatic gear box, absolute dream to drive, the 2 'boot' seats are very good, loads of space

all the usual gadgets, Bluetooth etc....had since 6 months old, it's a 64 plate, reliable as anything.

would highly recommend.

Are the boot seats adult friendly? Or at least 5' 7-8" teenager friendly?

The S-Max is the one that we haven't got around to test driving yet. We're looking at a car to be able to take 7, 6 being adults on a regular basis. We liked the Galaxy but the wife likes the look of the Citreon Space Tourer thing but I've got a dislike of French cars in general tbh.

We've been toying with buying a Volvo XC90 for the last 12 months but spending anything north of £45-50k for the spec of what we want is making my wife feel queasy but it can comfortably sit 7 x 6ft adults in the car with headroom to spare and leg room AND it gives you boot space.

If money was no object and diesel was cheaper, I'd go for a Lincoln Navigator imported from the US. I absolutely loved the one I drove in California a few years ago.

• Have owned a VW Caravelle since 2004 - never lets me down.
  • cafcfan said:

Is "best people carrier" an oxymoron? Probably. Get yourself something enjoyable and tell him to use a taxivan if he wants to go anywhere with the kids in tow....... Or alternatively, this 8-seater is the dog's: https://saxton4x4.co.uk/used/4x4/mercedes-benz/sprinter/sprinter-3.0-319-cdi-monaco-vip-black-for-sale-lf17odk/

We spent a good 3-4 hours test driving cars over at Saxton earlier in the year. Well worth the trip to Chelmsford if you're in the market for a 4x4 or big car.
  • What about a skoda kodiaq? I have the smaller karoq which still has a massive boot (removable rear seats), but kodiaq has a 7 seat version.
  • The sliding doors on the 7-seat Seat Alhambra (aka VW Sharan) are very helpful with young kids but they have a habit of freezing up on cold mornings. Other than that it's a great car and drives very well despite its size especially in the 170bhp version.

Also agree with others that the Ford S-Max is a great car and less likely to make you look like an Uber driver than the Galaxy.
  • Talal said:

What about a skoda kodiaq? I have the smaller karoq which still has a massive boot (removable rear seats), but kodiaq has a 7 seat version.

Autocar and Auto Express car of the year 2018 so probably pretty decent.