Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Filing or sanding UPVC

edited September 2018 in Not Sports Related
I have to change the letterbox in my double glazed front door.
Took the old one off, but the new one tantalizingly won't fit in the aperture.
I need to make it bigger (and also drill a hole in the UPVC.) Have tried sandpaper but can't tell if it works, and the amount needed to come off is too thin to cut in any way.
Will a decent hefty file do the trick?

Comments

• I could be wrong, but I think there is a tool for this. I recall doing it at School for a pencil case project (the finished item kept falling over!), but that was many moons ago so could be my memory playing tricks.
  • seth plum said:

I need to make it bigger (and also drill a hole in the UPVC.) Have tried sandpaper but can't tell if it works, and the amount needed to come off is too thin to cut in any way.

Bastard?
  • seth plum said:

Bastard?
    That may leave the finish a tad rough though.
  • UPVC ? .. don't inhale the dust .. VERY dodgy stuff
  • seth plum said:

Bastard?
    That may leave the finish a tad rough though.
    Use a smooth bastard ;)
    Or try to buy/borrow/steal on of those Dremmel/bremmel
  • To be pedantic it hasn't been UPVC since the early 90s when the EU changed it to PVCU. I remember this because I was working on two windows magazines at the time and it was a complete pain in the backside to change everything.
    Since the change I have never heard anyone refer to it as anything but UPVC!
    I know I need to get a life.
  • A rasp would do the job? The letter box escutcheon should cover the rough edges
  • Thanks everybody for the advice.
  • When are you buying your new door?
  • iainment said:

When are you buying your new door?

You're only supposed to sand the bloody doors off.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited September 2018
    Just file it if it is that small an adjustment.