Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The influence of the EU on Britain.

Comments

• @Covered End

Your comment ( in response to Algarve) certainly suggested to me that because the three of us you mentioned currently live abroad, you think the referendum was not "for us", but for those currently living permanently in the UK.

I believe that it is wrong for you to think that because:

1. A citizen is a citizen.

2. I tried to demonstrate in my reply that overall I have just as good a perspective on what is good for the UK as you or, say, Southbank, as do the other two. Indeed now that I have my Czech state pension sorted, apart from maybe a few months delay while I wait for my new CZ passport, Brexit will materially negatively affect me less than it will most of the people on this thread. So it is unfair to assume we three would vote in narrow self jnterest.

3. If the referendum were only aimed at those permanently living in the UK, that would have unfortunate implications for Nigel Lawson who poured millions into the Brexit campaign from the comfort of his French pile.
  • Last I looked the EU were not setting English grammar rules.

If there is a second referendum is should say ‘please vote for

A) what we have now
    B ) the leave offer we have negotiated
    c) leave with no deal’

Always assuming that a) is actually possible.

That is what all remainers would like as they would vote for the status quo and the leave vote would be split between b and c. It should have only 2 options, to accept what the EU is offering or leave without a deal. We've already had a referendum which gave a 'leave' result.
  • Chizz said:

Chizz said:

I lefrt s

I want to be @Grapevine49 if when I grow up...

Do you well done
    Punctuation is your friend.

Punctuation (formerly sometimes called pointing) is the use of spacing, conventional signs end certain typographical devices as aids to the understanding and correct reading of handwritten and printed text whether read silently or aloud.[1] Another description is "The practice action or system of inserting points or other small marks into texts in order to aid interpretation; division of text into sentences, clauses, etc., by means of such marks."[2]

Did you bother with punctuation in the writing of your dissertation ?
    Very creepy but funny though...I dont pick out yours, but keep it up takes you off track...
    "Very creepy, but funny though... I don't pick out yours. But keep it up: it takes you off track..."
    You on drugs again.
    Just trying out a subtitle service for some of your posts.
    Glass houses me old china.....or should that be China.....where is your other half.
    Would you care to explain what you mean by that?
  • Poll shows 86% of Labour members want new Brexit vote https://www.ft.com/content/dc56ee36-bea4-11e8-95b1-d36dfef1b89a via @financialtimes

Jeremy Corbyn is facing further pressure over his stance on Brexit after a new poll of Labour members found that 86 per cent want a second referendum on the eve of the party’s annual conference in Liverpool.

The poll by YouGov, published on Saturday evening, suggested that only 8 per cent of the grassroots members are opposed to a “People’s Vote”. The YouGov poll of 1,054 Labour members found that a sweeping majority believed that Brexit would make it harder to end austerity, weaken workers’ rights, dilute environmental protections and make children worse off than their parents.

An overwhelming 91 per cent to 3 per cent thought Brexit would damage the economy.

If the vast majority of the country's largest political party believe that there should be a "People's Vote"; and a larger majority believe that Brexit would damage the economy; and there is no political majority for the only deal offered to the EU by the UK; and there is no political majority for an even-more harmful no-deal exit, why would anyone think that a "People's Vote" would be undemocratic?
  • Chizz said:

Chizz said:

Chizz said:

I lefrt s

Do you well done

Punctuation (formerly sometimes called pointing) is the use of spacing, conventional signs end certain typographical devices as aids to the understanding and correct reading of handwritten and printed text whether read silently or aloud.[1] Another description is "The practice action or system of inserting points or other small marks into texts in order to aid interpretation; division of text into sentences, clauses, etc., by means of such marks."[2]

Very creepy but funny though...I dont pick out yours, but keep it up takes you off track...
    "Very creepy, but funny though... I don't pick out yours. But keep it up: it takes you off track..."
    You on drugs again.
    Glass houses me old china.....or should that be China.....where is your other half.
    He won’t have a scooby.

• Chizz said:

Poll shows 86% of Labour members want new Brexit vote https://www.ft.com/content/dc56ee36-bea4-11e8-95b1-d36dfef1b89a via @financialtimes

Jeremy Corbyn is facing further pressure over his stance on Brexit after a new poll of Labour members found that 86 per cent want a second referendum on the eve of the party’s annual conference in Liverpool.

The poll by YouGov, published on Saturday evening, suggested that only 8 per cent of the grassroots members are opposed to a “People’s Vote”. The YouGov poll of 1,054 Labour members found that a sweeping majority believed that Brexit would make it harder to end austerity, weaken workers’ rights, dilute environmental protections and make children worse off than their parents.

An overwhelming 91 per cent to 3 per cent thought Brexit would damage the economy.

If the vast majority of the country's largest political party believe that there should be a "People's Vote"; and a larger majority believe that Brexit would damage the economy; and there is no political majority for the only deal offered to the EU by the UK; and there is no political majority for an even-more harmful no-deal exit, why would anyone think that a "People's Vote" would be undemocratic?

Corbyn won’t give a toss. He has a strong power base and the support of Len McClusky of Unite. Corbyn will just front it out and give meaningless sound bites as per usual. Corbyn always does exactly what Corbyn wants. Has never changed. I really detest the duplicitous creep.

• Chizz said:

Chizz said:

Chizz said:

I lefrt s

Do you well done

You on drugs again.
    He won’t have a scooby.

I hope he does. Because he's making a pretty despicable comment, for which he owes an apology, unless he can explain it.
  • Chizz said:

Chizz said:

Chizz said:

Chizz said:

I lefrt s

Do you well done

You on drugs again.
    He won’t have a scooby.

I hope he does. Because he's making a pretty despicable comment, for which he owes an apology, unless he can explain it.
    If you can understand his explanation.
  • Chizz said:

Chizz said:

Chizz said:

Chizz said:

I lefrt s

Do you well done

You on drugs again.
    He won’t have a scooby.

I doubt he knows your story, Chizz - if he does then a ban would not be enough.
  • Chizz said:

Poll shows 86% of Labour members want new Brexit vote https://www.ft.com/content/dc56ee36-bea4-11e8-95b1-d36dfef1b89a via @financialtimes

Not disputing the findings of the poll but I would suggest there might be a big difference in views of labour members, and labour voters.
  • Sponsored links:

• @Covered End

Your comment ( in response to Algarve) certainly suggested to me that because the three of us you mentioned currently live abroad, you think the referendum was not "for us", but for those currently living permanently in the UK.

2. I tried to demonstrate in my reply that overall I have just as good a perspective on what is good for the UK as you or, say, Southbank, as do the other two. Indeed now that I have my Czech state pension sorted, apart from maybe a few months delay while I wait for my new CZ passport, Brexit will materially negatively affect me less than it will most of the people on this thread. So it is unfair to assume we three would vote in narrow self jnterest.

3. If the referendum were only aimed at those permanently living in the UK, that would have unfortunate implications for Nigel Lawson who poured millions into the Brexit campaign from the comfort of his French pile.

Sorry, you've misunderstood what I said or meant to say. I said,

"Algarve, with the greatest respect, the people of the UK voted rightly or wrongly, for what they thought was best for the people living in the UK.

The vote was not about what was best for people who used to live in the UK, but have now chosen to live in the Algarve, Prague, Madrid or anywhere else in Europe."

I thought it was clear enough, but I'll explain.

I meant that the voting population in the referendum, were voting for what they thought was best for the UK/the people living in the UK.

I would be very surprised if a substantial amount of people voted for what they thought would be best for people that previously lived in the UK, but now lived abroad in other parts of Europe.

I've never spoken to or heard, seen or read, anyone that say they voted to remain, to benefit a friend/family who emigrated to France/Germany/Spain/Portugal etc etc, because a leave decision would impact on them adversely.

Yes, I agree the referendum was about you.

1 Yes a UK citizen is a UK citizen.
    However, I'm sure you also understand that there is a difference between a UK resident and a non UK resident.

2 Agreed.

3 I didn't say the referendum was only aimed at those permanently living in the UK.
    I trust I have explained this once again (see above).

All the best.
  • Last I looked the EU were not setting English grammar rules.

If there is a second referendum is should say ‘please vote for

A) what we have now
    B ) the leave offer we have negotiated
    c) leave with no deal’

Always assuming that a) is actually possible.

That is what all remainers would like as they would vote for the status quo and the leave vote would be split between b and c. It should have only 2 options, to accept what the EU is offering or leave without a deal. We've already had a referendum which gave a 'leave' result.
    I don’t agree it should be to accept whatever is on offer, being to stay, or leave with no deal. Those will almost certainly be the two options:
  • Chizz said:

Chizz said:

Chizz said:

Chizz said:

I lefrt s

Do you well done

You on drugs again.
    He won’t have a scooby.

I think it's because he thinks you also post as @Fiiish even though he's had it explained to him, by a mod that you don't.

People need to stop engaging with him.
    He can't help it and i agree.
    Evening mate.
  • Chizz said:

Chizz said:

Chizz said:

Chizz said:

I lefrt s

Do you well done

You on drugs again.
    He won’t have a scooby.

I think it's because he thinks you also post as @Fiiish even though he's had it explained to him, by a mod that you don't.

Evening mate.
    Hi hows it going.....
  • Chizz said:

Chizz said:

Chizz said:

Chizz said:

I lefrt s

Do you well done

You on drugs again.
    He won’t have a scooby.

Evening mate.
    Hi hows it going.....
    Hanging in there.
  • Chizz said:

Chizz said:

Chizz said:

Chizz said:

I lefrt s

Do you well done

You on drugs again.
    He won’t have a scooby.

Evening mate.
    Hi hows it going.....
    You going to Luton ?
  • Will private you...
  • Sponsored links:

• Mogg literally telling us “PM should use will power to deliver Brexit”.

Do Brexiteers actually believe this stuff, that if we just will a successful Brexit hard enough it will happen?
  • edited September 2018
    se9addick said:

Mogg literally telling us “PM should use will power to deliver Brexit”.

Do Brexiteers actually believe this stuff, that if we just will a successful Brexit hard enough it will happen?
    What about Mogg's hostility to the Prime Minister? Does that remind us of a traitor? This bloke has no place in the Conservative party - the sooner they decide what they are and kick him out the better for them.
  • The calculation at Labour conference is somewhat more complex than that represented on here. First there is the compositing process tonight which determines the precise wording of the motions for debate. This article explains: https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/uk/2018/09/how-will-labour-conference-decide-its-policy-second-brexit-referendum

Let us be very clear that the Labour goal is an election. What matters is EEA membership or something similar - and that was never on the ballot. What really matters is to isolate the 30% minority who support leaving everything... and what matters is getting rid of this chaotic, dysfunctional government.

And that's down to moves made by three groups: Tory remainers who cling to a decent deal in the knowledge that it's unlikely; M.Barnier and his team; and the Labour Party.

Keir Starmer is meeting with hundreds of activists to thrash out the composite process - there are well over 100 constituency motions in on Brexit and some are identical. Every constituency who sent in a motion is entitled to attend and participate in the cut and paste / merger activity.

Let us not be naive - The polling exercise on Labour membership is part of a people's vote campaign to prioritise a second referendum... part of our democratic process. It happens that many on here agree with it as well as recognising the pragmatism and the potential for Labour to edge up in the polls.

However, perhaps we shouldn't pre-judge the Unite / Starmer position without a full understanding - I certainly haven't read the detail. Calling people names because they do not agree with our instincts isn't very helpful.

Surely the challenge is to understand the landscape more fully for the next few months. And there will be plenty of analysis of this debate across the media. There are even Apps available to guide people on the conference agenda!

My guess is that the composite process will not be settled until the small hours - perhaps in time for press releases to catch the morning commute?

• Think I heard there were 134 motions on Brexit that might be composited. Many will be so similar that compositing will be straightforward. There will however undoubtedly be some that just won’t fit into the process. Will they get conference time ? My guess is that anything that would be too prescriptive for the leadership will be sidelined. I’ve sat on a dozen or more compositing boards at many TU conferences. I’m willing to bet there will be an awful lot of very unhappy constituency movers. I’m really looking forward to what is televised of the LPC.
  • Think I heard there were 134 motions on Brexit that might be composited. Many will be so similar that compositing will be straightforward. There will however undoubtedly be some that just won’t fit into the process. Will they get conference time ? My guess is that anything that would be too prescriptive for the leadership will be sidelined. I’ve sat on a dozen or more compositing boards at many TU conferences. I’m willing to bet there will be an awful lot of very unhappy constituency movers. I’m really looking forward to what is televised of the LPC.

The point is that Starmer was in the room and he is the shadow Brexit Secretary. Here's a tweet with the full text of a single composite motion (cannot confirm that it's correct/complete)

So "No" to a " No deal", "No" to deregulation, "No" to a Tory Brexit against the rights and wages of workers... and "Yes" to the single market... "Yes" to the GFA and reaffirmed support for peace as well as "No" to "magical thinking" on the Irish border.

And the priority is to push for an election should (when!) May fails to deliver. And if an election cannot be secured then support options including a people's vote.

We can leave Labour, the media and posters on here to spin in whichever way they see fit. The Express already screaming "betrayal by middle class metropolitan elite". And that was before the composite was released!
  • @Covered End

Sorry, you've misunderstood what I said or meant to say. I said,

"Algarve, with the greatest respect, the people of the UK voted rightly or wrongly, for what they thought was best for the people living in the UK.

The vote was not about what was best for people who used to live in the UK, but have now chosen to live in the Algarve, Prague, Madrid or anywhere else in Europe."

I thought it was clear enough, but I'll explain.

I meant that the voting population in the referendum, were voting for what they thought was best for the UK/the people living in the UK.

I would be very surprised if a substantial amount of people voted for what they thought would be best for people that previously lived in the UK, but now lived abroad in other parts of Europe.

I've never spoken to or heard, seen or read, anyone that say they voted to remain, to benefit a friend/family who emigrated to France/Germany/Spain/Portugal etc etc, because a leave decision would impact on them adversely.

Yes, I agree the referendum was about you.

1 Yes a UK citizen is a UK citizen.
    However, I'm sure you also understand that there is a difference between a UK resident and a non UK resident.

2 Agreed.

3 I didn't say the referendum was only aimed at those permanently living in the UK.
    I trust I have explained this once again (see above).

All the best.
    Oi @jimmymelrose. Have a read of this.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!