Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Chris Solly Testimonial Year - Calling all golfers

Morning chaps,

On 17th October there is a golf day being arranged as part of Chris Solly's testimonial year.

It's being held at the rather prestigious London Golf Club in West Kingsdown. I understand the format will be breakfast, 18 holes of golf and a two course meal in the evening. I don't know a lot more at the moment but will get some more info if people are interested.

Teams of 3 or 4 - if you are a 3 I think the plan is to try to get some players (past and present) to play alongside you which should be awesome (over the years I've done Charlton related golf days with Derek Hales, Scott Minto, Theo Foley, Charlie Wright, Matt Taylor, Sasa Ilic, Garry Nelson, Johnnie Jackson, Solly, Ben Amos, Phil Chapple, Dillon Phillips, Tony Watt and some twat called Paul Walsh). Always a good day out though and interesting to hear some of the stories they have to tell along the way. I'm not yet sure who will be representing the club but I'm sure there will be some good ones in there.

Cost is looking around £100 a head but that's because it's bloody hard to get a round at the London Club - and it's also for a great cause ie a great servant to our favourite club.

So...anybody interested?

PS - I'm shite at golf (24 handicap) so you don't need to be Tiger Woods to play - just capable of holding clubs and waving them about

Comments

• I have never played golf in my life, have no idea of the complex rules, and don't have a golf bag with the clubs and teas. How do I apply?
  • seth plum said:

I have never played golf in my life, have no idea of the complex rules, and don't have a golf bag with the clubs and teas. How do I apply?

Don't fret about the lack of a bag, Seth.

All you need is a tea cosy.
  • Swisdom said:

seth plum said:

I have never played golf in my life, have no idea of the complex rules, and don't have a golf bag with the clubs and teas. How do I apply?

You sound perfectly qualified to run a football team. Have you considered buying Charlton Athletic?
    When I win Euromillions on Friday.
  • seth plum said:

Sounds perfect for Roland's new golf club, would you like to be captain? ;)
  • It's the Trust AGM that eve.... otherwise I'd probably have gone.
  • Blackpool 72 - fancy getting your clubs out?
  • good value for £100 breakfast / golf / meal.....lovely place to play
  • seth plum said:

This sounds right up @i_b_b_o_r_g 's street, I'll get him to look into it.
  • I wish I could play golf, I've been meaning to learn for years. Sounds like a great day out, and I don't think £100 is a terrible price for that.
  • Sponsored links:

• I’ll do a four ball, happy to invite young Mr Nelson along and ask him if he could invite a few friends?
    Please let me know.
  • Rob7Lee said:

It's the Trust AGM that eve.... otherwise I'd probably have gone.

Just as important I hope to see a couple of hundred there
  • I’m very keen for this could get a four ball
  • seth plumseth plum
    September 19

''I have never played golf in my life, have no idea of the complex rules,
    and don't have a golf bag with the clubs and teas. How do I apply?''

With a stupid comment like that see why you voted to stay in the EU!
  • I'm keen, I've put the feelers out to see if I can get a 3 or 4 ball together.
  • £100 is ridiculous value.

I'm a member there and it costs over £100 just to take a guest for one round on the members course.
  • edited September 2018

I'm keen, I've put the feelers out to see if I can get a 3 or 4 ball together.

Probably not how you meant it, but I giggled anyway. I am 32 years old.
  • seth plumseth plum
    September 19

Don't put EU stuff everywhere please.
  • I'll try to find out more info and check on numbers - but if not this one there is hopefully another golf day in May at Sundridge Park which is much larger and a few more celebs often get to (Teddy Sheringham, Mick McCarth and a certain SCP often puts in an appearance)

• I may be able to get 3 including myself..
  • Sponsored links:

• Just got up here for a quick 9 holes, hope it's not as windy as today in 4 weeks!

I usually try and break 90, I doubt I'll manage that through 9 holes today with this gale!
  • Just got up here for a quick 9 holes, hope it's not as windy as today in 4 weeks!

I usually try and break 90, I doubt I'll manage that through 9 holes today with this gale!

Hands down the club
  • seth plumseth plum
    September 19

I didn't vote to stay in the EU because of my stupidity, but because I didn't want to align myself with the racists.
  • Sorry if this is a daft question Swisdom, if my son played and I caddied for him, is that allowed ?
  • Swisdom said:

I'll try to find out more info and check on numbers - but if not this one there is hopefully another golf day in May at Sundridge Park which is much larger and a few more celebs often get to (Teddy Sheringham, Mick McCarth and a certain SCP often puts in an appearance)

The first and the third, brilliant. But can you imagine being stuck on a four hour walk with Mick McCarthy?
  • SDAddick said:

Swisdom said:

I'll try to find out more info and check on numbers - but if not this one there is hopefully another golf day in May at Sundridge Park which is much larger and a few more celebs often get to (Teddy Sheringham, Mick McCarth and a certain SCP often puts in an appearance)

The first and the third, brilliant. But can you imagine being stuck on a four hour walk with Mick McCarthy?
    I spent an evening listening to Sheringham collecting an award and he is one of the least interesting and least intelligent fellas I have heard speak.

McCarthy on the other hand is bright, articulate with a 40 year football history including South London, Ireland, the North East and Roy Keane. He is also from Barnsley which demands a sense of humour.

I know whom I would rather spend 4 hours playing golf with.

Is Solly having a game and/or dinner? Absolute legend of a player, deserves every penny he gets. Isn’t there a hall of fame? If so he should be on it.
  • seth plum said:

seth plumseth plum
    September 19

I didn't vote to stay in the EU because of my stupidity, but because I didn't want to align myself with the racists.
    Brilliant. Calling people racist cos they voted leave. It’s because of people like you why you lost. Let that settle in 😀
    Sheesh.

Some people who voted leave were racists. I didn't want to align myself with them.
    Have I made myself clear?
  • Scotland voted to remain and there’s absolutely no racism there