Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Euell linked with England coaching role

Exclusive story in todays Sun.

GARETH SOUTHGATE will appoint a new coach this season in the FA’s push for diversity.

The England boss is in the final stages of drawing up a shortlist of ethnic minority candidates, with Jason Euell, Michael Gilkes and Sol Campbell in the frame.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/7291197/gareth-southgate-poised-to-name-new-coach-from-shortlist-of-ethnic-minority-candidates-as-fa-look-to-boost-diversity/

Comments

• Great idea. Having more black coaches/managers at every level of the game has to be a good thing.
  • edited September 2018

Great idea. Having more black coaches/managers at every level of the game has to be a good thing.

Yes, so long as the coaches are of the same standard, or better, as the rest. It is pointless appointing someone a specific role in any walk of life, let alone in football, just because they’re from a ethnic minority.

What needs to happen is more opportunities and support of learning and development throughout all ethnicities and that will encourage participation which in turn will increase the amount of ethnic minorities being employed, because there would be enough of them at a high enough standard.

That is not to say that there aren’t already, I think Euell and Powell for example, Chris Hughton too, have proved they’re more than capable, but the percentage is so few that it can’t just be increased by employing diverse people, it has to start below, just like grassroots.
  • Why can't we just select the best available coaches? It really shouldnt matter where their families are from.

I'm certain Jason is good enough to get this job on merit anyway.

It would be much better if diversity in coaching/management happened organically, but at this stage there does seem to be a need to give a bit of a 'leg up'.
    Then it is disrespectful for the FA to insist on a list of minority candidates, it suggests they are not good enough, but tick a diversity box.

However, I imagine if Euell really was good enough, he might be working a little higher than league one, maybe he just really loves Charlton.
  • Why can't we just select the best available coaches? It really shouldnt matter where their families are from.

This.

This kind of 'ethnic minority only' rule is exactly how under qualified, insufferable wankers like Sol Campbell will get a job.
  • Sponsored links:

Read up on the Rooney Rule.
  • Good luck Jason, it would be great experience for you, if you get the job, and you deserve it, after working through the Roland years
  • McBobbin said:

I'm looking forward to Sol Campbell's excuse for not getting that job. He'll have to come out the closet.

His excuse is that he doesn't know how old he is.

It would be much better if diversity in coaching/management happened organically, but at this stage there does seem to be a need to give a bit of a 'leg up'.
    Then it is disrespectful for the FA to insist on a list of minority candidates, it suggests they are not good enough, but tick a diversity box.

However, I imagine if Euell really was good enough, he might be working a little higher than league one, maybe he just really loves Charlton.
    Jason just loves FOOTBALL!

• Jason should be at the top of any list with the excellent job he is doing with our youth set up. Would hate it if it meant we lost him though, but I assume the job would be part time.

• Great idea. Having more black coaches/managers at every level of the game has to be a good thing.

Why does it make any difference these days? People are over the top, the colour of your skin is irrelevant, same goes for gender/ what sexuality you are.

laughable people are even thinking of Sol Campbell when he hasn't done anything, needs to find a non league side and work up the leagues imo.

I often wondered why Euell and Avory have stayed with us during the Duchatelet years. Maybe there is a love for the club there. One thing is for sure I am so glad they did stay and have brought many good players through. Bright shining lights in the dark days of DuShat.
    For a youth coach to be successful they need to be getting players into the first team squad. Which means they might have a different perspective on Roland's first team mismanagement.
  • Sponsored links:

How’s that approach working out so far?
  • edited September 2018
    se9addick said:

Why can't we just select the best available coaches? It really shouldnt matter where their families are from.

It meant Alan Pardew got the West Brom job ahead of Darren Moore.
  • se9addick said:

Why can't we just select the best available coaches? It really shouldnt matter where their families are from.

It meant Alan Pardew got the West Brom job ahead of Darren Moore.
    He also got the Charlton job before Chris Powell - maybe Pardew is the problem !
  • I'd rather give the role to Dianne Abbot that Sol f***ing Campbell.

Why does it make any difference these days? People are over the top, the colour of your skin is irrelevant, same goes for gender/ what sexuality you are.

laughable people are even thinking of Sol Campbell when he hasn't done anything, needs to find a non league side and work up the leagues imo.
    It SHOULDN'T make any difference, @johnnybev1987 , but if you ask anyone who is not a white heterosexual male for their life experience I bet a very large percentage will be able to give you chapter and verse of discrimination they have personally experienced.

While discrimination and bias still exist, there will remain an argument for all black / all female / etc. shortlists, especially in high profile jobs where the successful candidate will also act as a role model for their group of people. Of course this aim will fall at the first hurdle if they are not competent (KM for example), but surely we are not suggesting that all possible black candidates for an England coaching job would be in that category?
  • N01R4M said:

Great idea. Having more black coaches/managers at every level of the game has to be a good thing.

It SHOULDN'T make any difference, @johnnybev1987 , but if you ask anyone who is not a white heterosexual male for their life experience I bet a very large percentage will be able to give you chapter and verse of discrimination they have personally experienced.

While discrimination and bias still exist, there will remain an argument for all black / all female / etc. shortlists, especially in high profile jobs where the successful candidate will also act as a role model for their group of people. Of course this aim will fall at the first hurdle if they are not competent (KM for example), but surely we are not suggesting that all possible black candidates for an England coaching job would be in that category?
    God have i opened up a can of worms here, we get this everytime its boring! Yes i am white hetrosexual man, that does not give me the opinion because i haven't been in their shoes.

I get where it comes from, also am aware it will still go on in places just my intake is people make these sort of statements make it worse.

People highlight there is a problem when there isn't, now i am pretty sure if a black/gay/ whatever coach comes through the ranks i am sure it would not be the issue it used to be and shouldn't hold them back, but yes i am white so i cannot have an input in a race debate go figure...
  • Point taken
  • N01R4M said:

White Hetrosexual Males can also be discriminated against, I have been twice when going for jobs.

When I was 19/20 I went for 2 jobs as a waiter.

The first I was rejected as they only wanted a female.

The 2nd was a chinesse restaurant and I was rejected because I was English and not Chinesse.

Now I am not saying its terrible and I know others have beem discriminated far worse. But I am just saying white hetrosexusl males can also be discriminated against
    There you go, discrimination goes on everywhere. Sometimes people will highlight the issue more with certain races etc.

Problem is even saying the fact i am your typical white bloke doesn't mean i cant have an opinion. I have friends of all walks of lifes, a sister who is chinese yet i cannot have an input?
  • N01R4M said:

White Hetrosexual Males can also be discriminated against, I have been twice when going for jobs.

When I was 19/20 I went for 2 jobs as a waiter.

The first I was rejected as they only wanted a female.

The 2nd was a chinesse restaurant and I was rejected because I was English and not Chinesse.

Now I am not saying its terrible and I know others have beem discriminated far worse. But I am just saying white hetrosexusl males can also be discriminated against
    There you go, discrimination goes on everywhere. Sometimes people will highlight the issue more with certain races etc.

Problem is even saying the fact i am your typical white bloke doesn't mean i cant have an opinion. I have friends of all walks of lifes, a sister who is chinese yet i cannot have an input?
    Has anyone actually said you “can’t have an input”?