Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

T20 Franchise Cricket

Comments

• Missed It said:

Riviera said:

What we need is a longer competition. We should replace the 50 over comp played from mid May with the final at the end of June, a straight 60 over knock-out like the Gillette was. There would be enough daylight that time of year. Players to wear whites, red ball, bowlers restricted to 12 overs but no powerplays or fielding restrictions. Get batsmen batting properly again!
    T20 to be played August till final in Sep without a big gap from 1/4 to final.
    CC played from May - end of July and finished after T20 Fri-Mon with the new cup played on Wednesdays.

Not sure I could muster the willpower to watch 120 overs. 50 over games seems to go on for ever as it is and sitting through the last 40 overs of no hope cricket by Kent at the Oval final this year was too depressing.
    Well the idea is not based on what individuals want it’s based on trying to even up short and longer cricket in this country. The Gillette actually started out as 65 overs. It was extremely popular and I attended many full houses at Canterbury for it and it’s successor the Nat West.
  • Riviera said:

Missed It said:

Riviera said:

What we need is a longer competition. We should replace the 50 over comp played from mid May with the final at the end of June, a straight 60 over knock-out like the Gillette was. There would be enough daylight that time of year. Players to wear whites, red ball, bowlers restricted to 12 overs but no powerplays or fielding restrictions. Get batsmen batting properly again!
    CC played from May - end of July and finished after T20 Fri-Mon with the new cup played on Wednesdays.

Not sure I could muster the willpower to watch 120 overs. 50 over games seems to go on for ever as it is and sitting through the last 40 overs of no hope cricket by Kent at the Oval final this year was too depressing.
    Well the idea is not based on what individuals want it’s based on trying to even up short and longer cricket in this country. The Gillette actually started out as 65 overs. It was extremely popular and I attended many full houses at Canterbury for it and it’s successor the Nat West.
    day night 50 over games i'd always relate to spending all day reading a good thriller, a few boring bits near the beginning, but by the end a good game would end up being an absolute nailbiter.

First county game i went to was in 1999, Kent vs Yorkshire and a day night game. Matt fleming smashing 79 and david masters and martin saggers tearing into the top order and seeing paul nixon stand up to martin mccague, who was still fairly rapid by then. Great memories!
  • Riviera said:

You mean like the benson and hedges cup that got scrapped? Iirc the final was the only county game on terrestrial telly all year.

I personally think there should be a t20 competition running throughout the year (like the county championship) have a 50 over competition at the beginning of the season and the big t20 knockout tournament near the end.
    They made the T20 Blast into a bloc, so that the international stars would be interested. The big T20 names wouldn't be interested or available to stay for 3 months, playing once a week

In the old days the Vivs and Hadlees of the world played all summer and in every format, these days that's sadly not the case
  • Riviera said:

You mean like the benson and hedges cup that got scrapped? Iirc the final was the only county game on terrestrial telly all year.

I personally think there should be a t20 competition running throughout the year (like the county championship) have a 50 over competition at the beginning of the season and the big t20 knockout tournament near the end.
    They made the T20 Blast into a bloc, so that the international stars would be interested. The big T20 names wouldn't be interested or available to stay for 3 months, playing once a week

In the old days the Vivs and Hadlees of the world played all summer and in every format, these days that's sadly not the case
    i think having 2 t20 competitions, one knockout, one all season, the knockout being the money drawer and in a bloc is the best way to keep bums on seats.
  • Riviera said:

Missed It said:

Riviera said:

True, but what was extremely popular in the past may not wash today. T20 is cricket's biggest earner these days because of the crash, bang, wallop cricket that's all done and dusted in three hours. That's what people with their busy lives/short attention spans want these days. I would question whether the audience for a very long day of more circumspect cricket is really there. The one day competition used to be a big deal but it's treated like the poor cousin these days, there won't even be a Lord's final for it any more. It'll take more than stretching it to 60 or 65 overs to revive it's fortunes.
  • Riviera said:

i think having 2 t20 competitions, one knockout, one all season, the knockout being the money drawer and in a bloc is the best way to keep bums on seats.
    + also the all season t20 should only be played on Friday or Saturday nights.
  • T20s work well for evening matches

On Sundays, to me they feel too short.
  • You’re all missing my point. We need a longer one day tournament to improve our players game not to put bums on seats necessarily. Still have the T20.
  • Riviera said:

You’re all missing my point. We need a longer one day tournament to improve our players game not to put bums on seats necessarily. Still have the T20.

considering england are ranked as the top one day sides in the world at the moment and counties are desperate for more revenue from anywhere i'd doubt this would ever happen or be necessary.
  • Sponsored links:

• Riviera said:

You’re all missing my point. We need a longer one day tournament to improve our players game not to put bums on seats necessarily. Still have the T20.

No tickets, no cricket. The ECB are in the process of ruining T20 for counties with their new city based competition and its pick-up teams. What desirable, marketable product do counties have left after that?

How does playing knockout cricket improve players? Half of the teams won't play anther match after the first round. That's not helping the players on those teams.

What can you do in a day's 120 overs that you can't do in 90?

I don't think making a long day even longer is making one day cricket any more attractive, nor does half the teams only playing one game improve their players.
  • Riviera said:

considering england are ranked as the top one day sides in the world at the moment and counties are desperate for more revenue from anywhere i'd doubt this would ever happen or be necessary.
    Improve their longer game skills not one day!
    Of course it won’t happen, I’m just thinking back to the old days when we produced batsmen who could bat all day.
  • Riviera said:

Riviera said:

Of course it won’t happen, I’m just thinking back to the old days when we produced batsmen who could bat all day.
    I dunno mate, in the olden day’s our test team were even worse than they are now!
  • Riviera said:

Riviera said:

I dunno mate, in the olden day’s our test team were even worse than they are now!
    Really?
    Saw my 1st Test in 1971.
    We won or retained the Ashes in 70/1, 77, 78/79, 81, 85 and 86/7
    World Cup finalists 79, 87 and 91.
    Depends what your definition of old days is. Post Botham is my definition of the modern era.
    To look at it realistically English cricket changed with the introduction of central contracts. We sacrificed our county game for an improved national team. Fletcher and Hussain led this revolution but only Fletcher reaped the rewards with 2005. We now starve our own domestic game of our best players and I cannot see how it has helped our batsmen in particular at all.
  • Riviera said:

Riviera said:

Riviera said:

Really?
    Saw my 1st Test in 1971.
    We won or retained the Ashes in 70/1, 77, 78/79, 81, 85 and 86/7
    World Cup finalists 79, 87 and 91.
    Depends what your definition of old days is. Post Botham is my definition of the modern era.
    To look at it realistically English cricket changed with the introduction of central contracts. We sacrificed our county game for an improved national team. Fletcher and Hussain led this revolution but only Fletcher reaped the rewards with 2005. We now starve our own domestic game of our best players and I cannot see how it has helped our batsmen in particular at all.
    but you could well argue that central contracts removed a financial burden on counties. Central contracts were a great idea, i'd say it would be interesting to have in english football, although most competitions around the world ban third party contracts..

The game is massively different from the 70s and 80s. I can't see how adding an extra few overs will make any difference, you may as well get county championship games to be 5 days rather than 4.
  • Be nice to talk to people about cricket on here who didn’t bring money into it all the time.
  • Riviera said:

Be nice to talk to people about cricket on here who didn’t bring money into it all the time.

unfortunately the counties are desperate for money, if county cricket was in rude health financially it wouldn't be mentioned.
  • Riviera said:

Be nice to talk to people about cricket on here who didn’t bring money into it all the time.

unfortunately the counties are desperate for money, if county cricket was in rude health financially it wouldn't be mentioned.
    I give up!
  • Riviera said:

Riviera said:

I give up!
    You can't ignore money, or if you can tell us when your free beer nights commence :smile:
  • A number of decisions have been made which have had beneficial and adverse consequences

Pay TV has to be the largest. Great for the enthusiast (who can now watch cricket from all over the world), lots of money for the England cricket team (and its massive backroom members) plus the money to keep the counties going...but at the expense of losing the mass exposure cricket once had. I got into cricket by watching Test matches during the long summer holidays. If I grew up now, I would never have had that opportunity as my parents would never have subscribed to Sky
  • Sponsored links:

• Not sure where to put this and didnt want to start a new thread so just throwing it on here.

Watching the Caribbean Premier League
    Guyana Amazon Warriors v Jamaica Tallawahs and its been a crazy start

4 wickets in 4 balls

8 for 4 after 1.2 overs
  • Just checked that, they managed to get to 156/6 and then bowled Jamaica out for 79.
  • Sussex have deffo just thrown one
    ridiculous 
    needed 27 off 39 deliveries 8 wickets left 

then they chucked it , 8 wickets lost for 23 runs off 37 balls 
  • To be fair Bopara is fuming. Good actor if his side have thrown that 
  • Sussex have deffo just thrown one
    ridiculous 
    needed 27 off 39 deliveries 8 wickets left 

then they chucked it , 8 wickets lost for 23 runs off 37 balls 
    That is extraordinary. The only thing I would say, looking at their line up is that their middle order and tail are either not very good or just suffering from a lack of time in the middle. Rawlins (5) averages 11.37 and Ward (6) averages 20.40 and the runs scored in this season's Blast for the rest of the line up are:

7. Carter - 2
    8. Mills - 8
    9. Lenham - 7
    10. McCoy - 6
    11. Finn - 1

When has Tymal Mills (lifetime average 6.61) ever batted at 8? That says it all one needs to know about 9,10, Jack and the likes Payne (leading wicket taker in this season's Blast) and Howell are top white ball bowlers.

It's still extraordinary but I don't think this is quite the same as that infamous other match involving Sussex. We've all played in games I'm sure where you know that once you get the oppo five down you've every chance of rolling them. It doesn't happen very often in county cricket because usually their tail has proper batsmen - Kent, tonight, for example, had Leaning batting at 8. He's in a different league to Mills but was still out first ball.

• Skying of the ball was laughable 
    watching it it was here we go again , play and miss,  not even running when a skyer went up for ages .
    The field was set back, there were simple singles everywhere 
    I’ve seen and called chucked games before and this is deffo one 
    watching it it was here we go again , play and miss,  not even running when a skyer went up for ages .
    To be fair I watched the Kent stream instead but am recording the re-run tonight and if I get a chance in the morning will watch those last half a dozen overs.
  • edited June 2022
    Don’t underestimate the incompetence of the Sussex tail. Mills at 8. Hardly, a finisher (except to finish Sussex’s chances of winning).

When you support Charlton and Sussex, nothing surprises you any more.
  • edited June 2022
    Don’t underestimate the incompetence of the Sussex tail. Mills at 8. Hardly, a finisher (except to finish Sussex’s chances of winning).

When you support Charlton and Sussex, nothing surprises you any more.

The Sussex middle and lower order has been an absolute disaster. Just no one there I'd back to win a game. Sending Mills in at 8 sums it up along with Hudson-Prentice batting 4. 
    To be fair I watched the Kent stream instead but am recording the re-run tonight and if I get a chance in the morning will watch those last half a dozen overs.
    I've now watched it Oohaah and I do think that, bar Lenham who is a touch player lacking strength and power and who kept finding backward point, the rest of the tail are only capable of closing their eyes and hoping. McCoy looked the worst of them but he has a record of something like 250 runs in all forms of the game. It's easy for us to see that they should be pushing singles into the gap but if someone is bowling at 80mph hitting top of off and you can't lay a bat on it that is easier said than done. The Gloucs bowling attack is very good (Payne has 17 wickets already) especially on a wicket that wasn't a good one.

My eldest, as you probably know, is a pro cricket trader and I will message him as to whether he is aware of anything untoward. He has said to me recently that he felt there have been a few questionable IPL games recently.