Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Jon Parkin

I think I'll buy his book. Hope it is as good as Robin Friday's.

Comments

• Makes Akinfenwa look anorexic.
  • A must buy in Football Manager ten plus years ago.
  • It was hilarious listening to him being interviewed on Radio 2 yesterday morning.

He started repeating some (very long) story from the book about him going on a stag weekend to Kracow instead of recuperating after surgery. You could tell the presenter instantly regretted asking the question but he went into a complete panic when Parkin started talking about ending up in a pole dancing club and then had a melt down and abruptly cut him off after he started to say how he went into the club's toilets and stripped off...

I think the presenter (Vasos or something) could see where it was likely to end, together with his drivetime career if he let him finish the story.

LOL - I was listening. It was on the Chris Evans breakfast show. Was hilarious - you could almost see Vasos cringing and was desperate to close him down....
  • edited September 2018
    He's an absolute hero. Saw him a couple of times for York last year, first game he volleyed a shot for a throw-in then the second he stared down some kid giving him stick & scored a few minutes later.

I'll definitely get this on Kindle when it's a couple pounds less, will have to give him enough for some Greggs pastries.
  • edited September 2018
    the irony is that in the book cover photo he looks slim & trim .. he's a Barnsley legend even though he played just a handful of games for them and that was years ago .. perhaps one of the last of a soon to extinct species ((:>)
  • clive said:

The book is called 'Feed the beast'.The BBC review of the book is below.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45460600

That's the thing, he'll always be the one and only Beast to me. I love Akinfenwa, but he's the poor man's beast.

I saw Parkin play for PNE against us. We had Tresor Kandol up front. It was the worst game of football I've ever seen...until that summer when France played Romania in Euro 2008.
  • Somehow it's perfect that Parkin is a Barnsley boy. They are so genuine in South Yorkshire and thus he is unpretentious for being what he is...a big man, earning a wage playing football and sod off all the crap that's thrown at him, like diet sheets! Respect.
  • the irony is that in the book cover photo he looks slim & trim .. he's a Barnsley legend even though he played just a handful of games for them and that was years ago .. perhaps one of the last of a soon to extinct species ((:>)

The last dying embers of when football was still fun.