Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Bare knuckle fighting

A mate of mine lended me a few dvds about Lenny Mclean (The Guvnor)

I have read a few of his books and seen the odd clip but this was going into his background the man was arsome!

Also on the dvd was quite a few fights with with Roy Shaw one fight that stood out was between him and a fella called Harry Starbuck from Eltham.

It was held at Dartford FC in front of over 4000 people!!

Any of the older lot on here go to it or know anyone who did??

Comments

• Uncle harry was a good friend of my dad. Remember him turning up to dig the footings for the extension at our house. Also at about 16 used to go to the bouts at the Downham Tavern. Great nights, especially when it all kicked off one night durring a grudge match between two fighters from opposing Gypsie families. Thanks for reminding me of fond fond memories....
  • Saw the fight where Mclean gets headbutted by his opponent just before the starting bell is about to ring.

Worst mistake of that fellas life!!
  • [cite]Posted By: carly burn[/cite]Saw the fight where Mclean gets headbutted by his opponent just before the starting bell is about to ring.

He destroyed the arrogant c0ck...
  • [cite]Posted By: carly burn[/cite]Saw the fight where Mclean gets headbutted by his opponent just before the starting bell is about to ring.

I was at that. It was at the Yorkshire Grey. LM absolutely battered him. I think he was out cold for 10 mins.
  • edited October 2008
    Didn't need a points decision for that one!
  • didnt Harry Starbuck used to own a pub in Abbey Wood, seem to remember the bloke was a bit of a legend among the lookey likeys round Belvedere.
  • was that against Dave man mountain York ?
  • Starbuck's pub was Abbey Wood (Abbey Arms i think)
  • [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]Starbuck's pub was Abbey Wood (Abbey Arms i think)

Also had the Glenmore a few years back.
  • was also at the fight at yorkshire grey,LM was paired with gypsy joe of kent if i remember correctly,lasted no more than 10 seconds
  • Sponsored links:

• The Starbucks are a well known family from south London and have had intrests in several boozers. Abbey Arms , Abbey Mead maybe several others.

re the boxing speak to Mad Dog he was in those circles for awhile.
  • The gyms in South london,i trained in slim gyms greenwich for many years with a few charlton lads, LM respect and a nice guy,Taylors gym Woolwich where i got a idea of what boxing was all about,hard training days there,mad days.
    My fav has to be Shapes gym that was run by a man called Reg Parker,trained there for 14 years and have met some top chaps at this gym.
    Reg was a great bloke and R.I.P mate.
    I now use a gym in grove park,but the other 3 were great and met some great characters.
    Shapes will always be my best times though, a real buzz and a nice bar to have a beer or 2 on a friday night.
  • just found the headbut fight mentioned earlier in the thread.
    i miss the grey.
  • bloody hell fella that brings back memories
  • Yeah...remember the Yorkshire Grey fights...not that I went to any of them....there was also a fella called Billy Gardener (lived near Cliftons Roundabout) who was in that crowd and may well have had a few 'tear up's' with The Starbucks....I went out with his daughter for a while.
  • I am not an overtly religeous man but the fact that the Yorkshire Grey is now a McDonalds FFS, is an offence against all things sacred.
  • I heard Harry Starbuck passed away last week. Anyone know anything more about this ?
  • Roy Shaw v Harry Starbuck

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Euj40x3Fn9Q&feature=youtube_gdata_player
  • met harry starbuck a few times a good man and a great fighter .
  • Harry Starbuck did indeed pass away in the last week or so. I believe he was suffering from throat cancer and think the funeral is sometime this week. The family were originally from Charlton.
  • Sponsored links:

• Taven you have just brought all the memories back regarding Shapes good place to train and great laugh on a Friday night.
  • Funeral was last friday.
  • Anyone know if there was any mention of his death in the local press at all?
  • Roll said:

I was at Dartford FC when Harry fought Roy Shaw. I was a friend of Harry and Charley for years. I sat next to Vernon Sollas the boxer. Alan Lake who used to be married to the actress Diana Dors was in the crowd

• Joined in 2014 - first comment.

Come on @Bournemouth Addick ...
  • Have a warm welcome to Charlton Life @Rolo .

Just out if interest, what took you so long to share your story about your night out at Dartford FC...
  • Sure one of the bouncers at Bridewells in dartford back in the day used to do bare knuckle. Vague recollections of him working at Smithfield meat market.