Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Storage places - any advice?

Hi all. I am looking to put some stuff in storage next week. I got a quote from SafeStorage for about 28 quid a week for a box big enough to hold a couple of sofas, tables and boxes. Is that a good deal? I have absolutely no idea and worse still, no idea who to ask. So figured I'd ask the collective minds here... Sorry it's not a very exciting thread, but advice is gratefully received.

Comments

• My missus is getting on at me to put three of my drum kits in storage, so I'd be interested in any advice, too. Also gratefully received.
  • I'd recommend https://loknstore.co.uk/.

(But only because I've got shares!) Although they do say from £10 per week.
  • Sorry i should know this, with work we deal with storage costs alot. Generally i would say storage is expensive and £28 a week seems fair , although sounds like its a small unit.

I should really know more , even today i have paid a couple of storage invoices and always looks overpriced and thats with our own suppliers so i wouldn't really recommend any.
  • JiMMy 85 said:

Hi all. I am looking to put some stuff in storage next week. I got a quote from SafeStorage for about 28 quid a week for a box big enough to hold a couple of sofas, tables and boxes. Is that a good deal? I have absolutely no idea and worse still, no idea who to ask. So figured I'd ask the collective minds here... Sorry it's not a very exciting thread, but advice is gratefully received.

I used safestore in Crayford, normally 3 months half price, never had any dramas.
  • We used Storage King in Aylesford whilst we were renting and waiting to move into our new house. I cannot remember the cost but it was good value and the first month was free. They had storage ranging from a broom cupboard to ground floor units you get a car in so plenty of choice.
  • edited September 2018
    JiMMy 85 said:

When we relocated we paid £146/ per 4 weeks (£36.50 pw) including insurance for £10k for the goods stored, for a 75 cubic ft storage unit. This was about 3 years ago and in Cardiff, but it might give you a basis for costs. The storage unit took about all of the content of our small 2 bed flat including all white goods, (but not clothing or the bed). Hope that helps.
  • FYI most insurance companies will cover up to a set amount for temporary removal from the home , eg. if you are putting in storage you might not need to pay extra for additional insurance.
  • I got a quote from a couple of these places and within a few days they were offering a discount or a deal , so try more than one place
  • Excellent advice all round. Sounds like my deal is pretty standard, only without a sweetener which I will try and negotiate! Thanks all.
  • make sure you keep an eye out for when the deal ends as it can be pretty pricey afterwards.

• Sponsored links:

• Blue water storage. In very clean ex containers. £100 per month.
  • The Boardroom is currently free.
  • Ferryman said:

The Boardroom is currently free.

No lighting though.
  • I think you have to be really careful with storage. The costs, particularly after the insurance which is often not in the headline rate, very quickly mount up to more than the value of the items stored.

My advice would be that unless you have expensive stuff or something with particular personal value, sell it and then buy again when you need it again.
  • I recently looked into storing a few things at Shurgard, just off Bugsby's Way. I thought that the prices were pretty decent, as they have a half price offer available currently. Not sure of all the details though.
  • Do the half price for three months and then cancel

Then the week your due to move out get the mrs to go in looking for a unit the same size as yours in the same row make up some white about superstition

You leave she joins gets the same unit repeat every three months