Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

More injuries...

Pratley and Ajose this time. Bielik rumoured to be needing a scan

Comments

• Pratley and Ajose this time. Bielik rumoured to be needing a scan

When did this happen? Did we play Wycombe or have I been asleep for a week?
  • IIRC Bowyer said a minimum of two weeks after the Wycombe game. I think that was for Pratley and Ajose, don't know if Bielik was included in that. But if Bielik needs a scan and they need to wait for the inflammation to go down (as was reported yesterday I think) then I'd expect him to be out at least that long as well.
  • Can we use this as a 'General Injuries Thread'?

Got a tiny splinter on my thumb but, my God it's painful when I touch things.
  • Dazzler21 said:

Neither of Pratley or Ajose are hugely worrying.

Bielik would be disappointing.

Wouldn't underestimate the loss of Pratlety.
    Especially with Bielik injured at the same time.

Dijksteel to get a chance in midfield? I don't really see him as a full back, and definitely not a wing back.
  • Scoham said:

Dazzler21 said:

Dijksteel to get a chance in midfield? I don't really see him as a full back, and definitely not a wing back.
    Agreed i think anfernee should really be given a chance in his proper position, would make sense if Bielik is not available too.
  • edited September 2018
    I agree with the above about Dijksteel. I don't think he's played a league game in midfield yet. To me he has all the attributes to be a good defensive midfielder and has looked excellent there at U23 level. But it makes me worry that Robinson, Bowyer, and Jackson all see something that make them think he's not ready to play there.

Whether playing with a back three or a back four we need a sitting midfielder. Pratley isn't it, he likes to roam and chase which is fine but it sometimes leaves us exposed in front of the center backs. When Cullen did it for the last 20-30 minutes against Southend I thought he looked quite good, so he's probably the other option there. But as said away from home I'd go with Dijksteel.

............. Steer
    Solly Bauer Pearce Page
    ................ Dijksteel
    .........Cullen..... Aribo
    ................. Reeves
    .......... Taylor.. Grant

I think that would get more out of Aribo as well. He looks lost as part of that midfield two in front of the back three. It's more defensive work than he's used to and when he's played there alongside Pratley they both get dragged out of position or into wide areas, which is what happened with Wycombe's first goal on Saturday.

The other option is three at the back with Cullen and Aribo in front of them and Reeves as the 10, dropping Dijksteel for Sarr. I think it's more likely Bowyer will go with that, especially if he doesn't trust Dijksteel in midfield. But I think having a holding player behind them will get more out of Cullen and Aribo, and having players willing to run beyond him gets more out of Reeves.
  • edited September 2018
    Sage said:

Scoham said:

Dazzler21 said:

I know Lapslie has done so, so well and deserves to play, but for an away game I really would prefer to have Dijksteel in there sitting with Cullen and Aribo either side of him. That’s if we play a diamond. We can then bring on Lapslie in the second half where his energy, athleticism and enthusiasm will help us greater when their beginnging to tire.

I don’t think it would happen, but I do think it would be the right move for the team at a tough away game.

If we go 4-4-2 diamond, I would like to see...

Steer/Phillips
    Solly Bauer Pearce Page
    Dijksteel
    Cullen Aribo
    Reeves
    Taylor Grant

If it’s 3-4-1-2, take out Dijksteel and have Sarr to go into a back 3...

Steer/Phillips
    Bauer Pearce Sarr
    Solly Cullen Aribo Page
    Reeves
    Taylor Grant
    Two goalkeeper should help keep the goals against figures down.

No Ward ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Dazzler21 said:

Weakens the squad, reduces options, put pressure back on other players to be rushed back and play more games than ideal probably leading to further injuries just as these return - and the vicious cycle continues.
  • Clarke completing final stage of rehab is good
  • It's what happens in football. Why you need a decent-size squad. Just wait till the suspensions start to kick in too.
  • Sage said:

Scoham said:

Dazzler21 said:

I know Lapslie has done so, so well and deserves to play, but for an away game I really would prefer to have Dijksteel in there sitting with Cullen and Aribo either side of him. That’s if we play a diamond. We can then bring on Lapslie in the second half where his energy, athleticism and enthusiasm will help us greater when their beginnging to tire.

I don’t think it would happen, but I do think it would be the right move for the team at a tough away game.

Steer/Phillips
    Solly Bauer Pearce Page
    Dijksteel
    Cullen Aribo
    Reeves
    Taylor Grant

Steer/Phillips
    Bauer Pearce Sarr
    Solly Cullen Aribo Page
    Reeves
    Taylor Grant

No Ward ?
    Phillips can make the saves whilst Steer can be the one who distributes outfield.

Ward on the bench, not really trained with the squad and see him more of a wide forward but can easily come on for Reeves and give us something different. So right now, Reeves starts.
  • Sage said:

Sage said:

Scoham said:

Dazzler21 said:

Steer/Phillips
    Solly Bauer Pearce Page
    Dijksteel
    Cullen Aribo
    Reeves
    Taylor Grant

Steer/Phillips
    Bauer Pearce Sarr
    Solly Cullen Aribo Page
    Reeves
    Taylor Grant

No Ward ?
    Phillips can make the saves whilst Steer can be the one who distributes outfield.

Ward on the bench, not really trained with the squad and see him more of a wide forward but can easily come on for Reeves and give us something different. So right now, Reeves starts.
    Yeah second this. He also allows us to switch to a flat 4-4-2 (or even a 4-2-3-1 but shhhh, whisper it quietly) or can come in for one of the lads up front.

Last season Reeves play his best far and away in one of the shuhttling roles on the side of a midfield diamond. It allowed him to get on the ball more, start moves from deeper and either pick a pass or link up with the players in front of him. I thought he also did well defensively in breaking up play.

Under Robinson he didn't get on the ball enough either as a 10 or out wide. And when he did he often only had Josh in front of him with the other attacking two very reluctant to make runs beyond him, let alone Josh. With two up front I could see him doing similar things he did as a shuttling midfielder in the 10 role. He was good there on Saturday, linked midfield and attack, and because he has two mobile forwards in front of him he both gets more space and has players making runs that he can find. Against Southend Cullen showed a willingness to get in the box at times, and hopefully we can get Aribo back doing the same. And with that, I think we could see a lot more from Reeves.
  • edited September 2018

Dazzler21 said:

Weakens the squad, reduces options, put pressure back on other players to be rushed back and play more games than ideal probably leading to further injuries just as these return - and the vicious cycle continues.
    And exactly why making the play offs will be doubtful this season.

For every player returning from injury / suspension we lose another one.

Might be fine if the squad started the season with a clean bill of health but we limped into Sunderland and have been chasing our own tail since.

Once Bielik is back we'll probably lose Reeves or Vetokele again with the whole cycle lasting all season as we drift towards a mid table finish.
  • I'm losing count of the number of loanees who arrive at the Valley raring to go .. and then limp away after a game or two or a vigorous training session and are not seen again for weeks or months .. we seem to get lumbered with a lot of Arsenal crocks
  • edited September 2018

I'm losing count of the number of loanees who arrive at the Valley raring to go .. and then limp away after a game or two or a vigorous training session and are not seen again for weeks or months .. we seem to get lumbered with a lot of Arsenal crocks

I think that's part of the larger tradeoff of getting in decent players at this level. If you're going to get them in they're either going to be young and inexperienced, like Mav and DaSilva from two years ago, or have a history with injury, like Zyro last year and Bielik this. To be fair DaSilva must have been up there for most minutes by an outfield player last season. Kaikai was rarely injured...fortunately or unfortunately. Amos played every league game. And Dodoo was...there.
  • Sponsored links:

• It's what happens in football. Why you need a decent-size squad. Just wait till the suspensions start to kick in too.

Pratley could easily have been absent through suspension rather than injury! Indeed it might have been better for him (if not for us in the game)

Pratley could easily have been absent through suspension rather than injury! Indeed it might have been better for him (if not for us in the game)
    I'm sorry which game is that? The game where he had a really bad professional foul on Saturday, or the one where he had an absolutely appalling professional foul the previous Saturday?