Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Labour's Tom Watson 'reversed' type-2 diabetes through diet and exercise

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-45495384

Keeping politics completely out of this, really impressive to lose 7 stone, he looks so much better now. Type 2 Diabetes is becoming a massive health issue now, with so many people being seriously overweight, and he's shown how for many it can be reversed

Comments

• Amazing transformation, relatively short time too.
  • Was diagnosed with type two earlier this year but didn’t take it too seriously.
    My count shot up from 42 to 85 over the period of 6 months or so and was told that about 2 months back.
    Since then I have lost around 23 lbs.
    Funnily enough, my annual review is due this Friday......fully expect that count to have come down considerably.....here’s hoping!

Good luck, hopefully you can reverse your type two. Had a blood test myself last week as was worried over certain symptoms, but the results came back fine which was a relief.
  • I know someone with the same story.
    Diagnosed with T2D and immediately removed almost all sugar from her diet. Began walking for exercise and lost about 2 stone.
    6 months later and the diagnosis was that the T2D has been reversed.
  • Fair play to him. Not one mention of Veganism so can't be a vegan :wink:
  • Was diagnosed with type two earlier this year but didn’t take it too seriously.
    My count shot up from 42 to 85 over the period of 6 months or so and was told that about 2 months back.
    Funnily enough, my annual review is due this Friday......fully expect that count to have come down considerably.....here’s hoping!

Congratulations mate, that's awesome!
  • I wish my father in law would do this, that's the thing with type 2 diabetes, it can be reversed. He isn't fat however his diet is appalling and you can tell it's affecting him but he's far too stubborn to change

Good on Tom Watson for doing it as he was a massive disgrace of a human being before so it can't have been easy.
  • SDAddick said:

Was diagnosed with type two earlier this year but didn’t take it too seriously.

Congratulations mate, that's awesome!
    Cheers.
  • Sponsored links:

I wish you good luck.
  • Watson has done fantastically well and he looks so much healthier. Respect to him. @SoundAsa£ and respect to you mate, sterling effort!
  • Awful disease of which a lot of people have little knowledge until it’s too late.
    My Dad, who’s 82, has been in hospital for over a month and had a leg amputated last week. He’s been type 2 for 17 years and had gangrene in his foot. Because of a weak heart he wasn’t able to have a general anaesthetic during the op.

I’m sure the majority of people aren’t aware of the problems diabetes can cause.
  • Oh my god, your poor Dad. He was awake during amputation? That is awful.
  • Awful disease of which a lot of people have little knowledge until it’s too late.
    My Dad, who’s 82, has been in hospital for over a month and had a leg amputated last week. He’s been type 2 for 17 years and had gangrene in his foot. Because of a weak heart he wasn’t able to have a general anaesthetic during the op.

I’m sure the majority of people aren’t aware of the problems diabetes can cause.

That sounds awful, what a nightmare
  • I spent time working on a vascular ward and saw a lot of the effects of Type 2 diabetes - I don't think people realise how serious it is.

A good diet certainly helps and trying to minimise your sugar intake is a good start.
  • He had 3 options. No operation but the gangrene would kill him, have it done under general, the chances of surviving were very low or have an epidural.
    Obviously the epidural numbed him but he did hear the saw.

He came through it and is recovering slowly.
    Sadly, some bastard nicked £30 from his room last night.

Oh, he still thinks he could get the odd game at Charlton too :)
  • Leaving aside the political argument, these are horrendous numbers. The NHS is amputating 120 feet and toes a week

• He had 3 options. No operation but the gangrene would kill him, have it done under general, the chances of surviving were very low or have an epidural.

all the very best to your dad .. it's a tribute to the skill of the surgeons and the science behind anaesthetics/pain relivers that so much can be done nowadays .. AND when in hospital; leave ALL valuables with the nursing staff .. there is a LOT of thieving goes on in the NHS, both some patients and (unfortunately) some staff are at it
  • Sponsored links:

Read all this... The last bit choked me up, poor fella
  • I don’t think you can reverse type 2 diabetes. Once the exercising and dieting stops and you revert to old ways it’s back.
    Many other things cause it too other than carbs eg stress, medications eg steroids , diesel fumes etc.
    Being fat doesn’t cause it necessarily. Being fat and type 2 are in a way both symptoms.
    But a good news story.
  • I am a type 1 diabetic, that is not reversible as far as I know.
  • edited September 2018
    Sark99 said:

I am a type 1 diabetic, that is not reversible as far as I know.

it's not (Yet ?).. and, as you know, it takes a lot of controlling .. good luck

Same happened to my in-laws granddad. He had a few more years on him after the op, so all the best to your dad.
  • Heartwarming to know this can be reversed.
    Bit sad that some think taking a dig at vegans is relevant.
  • It’s scandalous that the nhs isn’t geared up better to deal with T2D especially given how much it costs. Good on Tom for doing this and starting a campaign I hope he sticks with it whether or not he wins an election.

Not sure all T2D can be reversed though and there are different variants of it - including those who get it without being obese like myself, although I haven’t given up.
  • Stevelamb said:

As I am sure many of you know :-) I have reversed my type 2 diabetes. It took just six months and I am now off of all medication much to my doctors dismay it would seem.

That is my aim too.
  • I’ve seen 18% body fat mentioned as key, I’m going to try for that and see if things improve (I’ve had success in the past when exercising a lot in lowering my readings but no longer term success)