Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

£50,000 fine and banned from driving for 20 months

fcbusiness Magazine

@fcbusiness
1m1 minute ago
More
Breaking: Tottenham's goalkeeper Hugo Lloris has been fined £50,000 and banned from driving for 20 months after admitting drink-driving. #THFC

Got off easy because he's famous/Got harder penalty because he's famous

discuss

Comments

• Is the fine linked to his weekly salary?
  • The fine's pretty meaningless but I don't know if it's proportionate to the fines levied on other offenders who don't earn ridiculous amounts of money.

Ban looks like a meaningful one, which is nice to see.
  • 50,000 pounds is what, 3 days wages for him? 20 months worth of Ubers and petrol money to his mates, or a 20 month contract to a chauffeur, probably another 50k, again, barely noticeable to a world cup winning footballer.
  • Pedro45 said:

Is the fine linked to his weekly salary?

"The UK introduced tougher speeding penalties in 2017. Drivers can be fined up to 175% of their weekly income, on a sliding scale depending on the severity of the offence"

Obviously he hasn't been fined 175% of his weekly income (probably around 50% i'd guess) but it does prove it's linked to income. The local plumber isn't going to be getting a 50k fine.
  • edited September 2018
    All instances of drink driving where the driver is 1.5 times over the limit plus, should be met with a permanent driving ban.

I literally do not care what your excuse may be. It's simply not acceptable.

I speak from a position of knowing one person who died and one who was seriously injured as a result of drink driving.

One of them was a friend of a friend etc... She was the driver well over the limit and refused to get a taxi home, she crashed through a hedge on a country lane, flipping the car and killing her passenger (who was also drunk and not wearing a seat belt) and she lost an eye due to head injuries.

Apparently she no longer drinks and cannot drive as a result of her injuries, but was apparentlyonly banned for 24 months. As far as I know, she did not serve any time, despite causing her friends death.
    I do not understand how she got off so lightly.

The other was a friend killed when crossing a road at a traffic light where the driver went through a red and tried to leave the scene. The driver got 12 months in prison and 20 months driving ban...
    I do not know if that means he was only actually banned 8 months? Or whether it was jail and then a ban?
  • the guy was sick in his car, veered towards parked cars and had to be helped out, why not just get a cab, silly cnut.

as @Dazzler21 says selfish behaviour i rarely have 1 and drive - just don't see the point.

didnt actually know this until a couple of years ago that if you knowingly get into a car with someone who has been drinking then you lose your licence aswell.

its so avoidable if you know there will be alcohol then dont drive.
  • If he killed somebody he would go to prison. If you are extremely drunk - I am also thinking of Ant recently - does the fact you were fortunate not to kill somebody mean you should be punished more lightly? Is it about the act or the result?
  • edited September 2018
    I do think that there is a big distinction between having a couple of pints and being over the limit vs being actually drunk.

Both are wrong (and for the record I'd do neither), but I think the punishments should be wildly different. If you're hammered you're absolutely not in control and whether you kill/injure someone or not, you could have, and the punishment should reflect that.

The current rules for someone who's had 2/3 pints are suitably harsh in my opinion.

Edit: As for Lloris... if he was sick etc. as reported I think he should be facing worse given what I said above, not necessarily financially but something like lengthy community service that he can't buy his way out of. The very well off can too often just buy out and not learn a lesson.
  • edited September 2018

I do think that there is a big distinction between having a couple of pints and being over the limit vs being actually drunk.

Both are wrong (and for the record I'd do neither), but I think the punishments should be wildly different. If you're hammered you're absolutely not in control and whether you kill/injure someone or not, you could have, and the punishment should reflect that.

The current rules for someone who's had 2/3 pints are suitably harsh in my opinion.

Edit: As for Lloris... if he was sick etc. as reported I think he should be facing worse given what I said above, not necessarily financially but something like lengthy community service that he can't buy his way out of. The very well off can too often just buy out and not learn a lesson.

this regularly sundays ill drive after having a few saturday night, most of us have probably driven over the limit without knowing it, that is a lot different to going out having a session and thinking i wont book a cab ill just drive because i cant be fucked/too important
  • Sponsored links:

• If he killed somebody he would go to prison. If you are extremely drunk - I am also thinking of Ant recently - does the fact you were fortunate not to kill somebody mean you should be punished more lightly? Is it about the act or the result?

Obviously if you didn't kill someone you should be punished more lightly. Still punished, obviously, but I can't believe we're asking the question
  • It comes down to criminal punishment being retributive, corrective and exemplary. If it were just corrective and exemplary then it would make sense for drink driving sentences to be proportionate to the amount of alcohol taken and the speeds driven at. But as there is a retributive element, it makes sense for someone who's killed someone to serve more time.
  • Always wondered why Tony Adams got sent to prison when so any others just get a fine and driving ban.
  • Always wondered why Tony Adams got sent to prison when so any others just get a fine and driving ban.

don't know if anything to do with it but he was found 5 times over the limit when he crashed

don't know if anything to do with it but he was found 5 times over the limit when he crashed
    That sounds really fast. Was it in a 70?
  • I do think that there is a big distinction between having a couple of pints and being over the limit vs being actually drunk.

this regularly sundays ill drive after having a few saturday night, most of us have probably driven over the limit without knowing it, that is a lot different to going out having a session and thinking i wont book a cab ill just drive because i cant be fucked/too important
    You need to change your behaviour.
  • I do think that there is a big distinction between having a couple of pints and being over the limit vs being actually drunk.

Halfords used to sell kits to test yourself, I suggest you buy one.
  • Chizz said:

by having a few i mean maybe 4/5 then driving Sunday evening - i would estimate 80% of this forum that drive do the same, i think its 2 hours for every beer so a lot of the time i probably am fine.
  • edited September 2018
    Well I'm really surprised he hasn't been given community service on top of the fine and ban.

I'm fairly sure that Spurs have thrown the book at him behind the scenes.
    I understand that Spurs have fined him the maximum number of weeks wages allowed, so he has been fined a lot more than the £50k reported today.
    More in the region of £250-300k in total.

No doubt Spurs will make a statement as to where the club fine has been paid to, probably a local children's charity or hospice or something along those lines.

Still small change though to a PL footballer.
  • Chizz said:

by having a few i mean maybe 4/5 then driving Sunday evening - i would estimate 80% of this forum that drive do the same, i think its 2 hours for every beer so a lot of the time i probably am fine.
    Your earlier post seemed to mean that you would be driving on Sunday *morning* after a few on Saturday night. That's the assumption I made and had that been the case, you should certainly change your behaviour.

But even if it's the following evening, you could be over the limit, you could be dangerous and you could be nicked. Is it worth it?

I wouldn't agree with your guess that four out of five people on this forum take the same risks as you. But you really should think about whether "probably" being "fine" is a high enough standard.
  • Sponsored links:

• A driving ban means nothing to a lot of people. You only need to watch a few police shows on tv to see the amount of people who are caught for a driving offence & find they are either already banned and/or have no insurance.

I dont know what the answer is (apart from cutting off their arms or legs) to stop them driving.
  • Chizz said:

You're fine, pal. Carry on as you are. There's nothing you've posted that suggests you're driving outside of the legal parameters.
  • Taxi for Lloris
  • Taxi for Lloris

Where's that Spurs supporting taxi driver when you need him ?
  • In my London Ad-land days, I frequently got invited to openings of all sorts, and one time hit the jackpot when we got invited to the grand opening of Nike Town in Oxford Street.

They had really gone to town, and had all of the big Nike hitters there, such as Tiger Woods, Michael Jordan, Michael Johnson, Ian Wright, Robbie Fowler and of course the embodiment of footballing style Emile Heskey.

At around 2am we had all debunked to ‘Mezzo’s’on Wardour street, and then headed for the mini-cab rank on (I think) Dean Street, whereupon me and my mate found ourselves in the queue behind big Emile and his agent.

Thinking he was heading back to a plush hotel, the cab rank manager was rather taken aback when Emile’s manager said “How much to get back to Leicester?”

The guy went back into the office, and you could feel the whole queue was listening in, just dying to know how much indeed a taxi back to the county of David Gower and Philip De Freitas would be.

“That’s gonna be around $500 mate – is that OK?”. Emile barely looked up from his phone (Old style Nokia if I remember correctly), before answering “Yeah man whatever, I just need to get back for training’’.

At which point the entire cab queue was thinking ‘Fuck me I can just about scrape together enough sheckles to get halfway home, and Emile Heskey has just spent a week of my wages on getting back!’
  • JohnBoyUK said:

Well I'm really surprised he hasn't been given community service on top of the fine and ban.

I'm fairly sure that Spurs have thrown the book at him behind the scenes.
    I understand that Spurs have fined him the maximum number of weeks wages allowed, so he has been fined a lot more than the £50k reported today.
    More in the region of £250-300k in total.

No doubt Spurs will make a statement as to where the club fine has been paid to, probably a local children's charity or hospice or something along those lines.

Still small change though to a PL footballer.

Or to pay electricians and construction workers overtime so you can get the stadium finished
  • Was Emile able to calculate the exchange rate to sterling?