Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Nick Ajose Today.

Apologies if already mentioned but just got in from Wembley after the valley.

Strange we didn't even have a sub ready when he never came on and played for a while with 10 men at start of 2nd half.

Was there anything sinister as to why he didn't come out after half time.

Delete thread if there is simple answer.

Comments

• Picked up an injury.
  • Unless he picked up the injury walking back onto the pitch there is no excuse for why Reeves wasnt ready

This. Was very odd and can't be acceptable.
  • Reeves was warming up quite a bit during half time as well.

What are the rules about starting a half with 10 men?

It looked like the ref waited a few seconds, looked across and saw reeves was not ready and got the 2nd half started.

I dont blame him we had 15 minutes to get the sub ready.

It looked like the ref waited a few seconds, looked across and saw reeves was not ready and got the 2nd half started.

didn't think you could start the game without the correct 11 players. Poor refereeing imo......but then again he was just the latest in a long line of numpties we've seen down there.
  • The subs were all on the pitch at half time, although Reeves did remove his bib, which made me wonder if he was coming on.

A bit odd to have Reeves out there at high time though, surely if you're about to bring him on, you'd want him to hear the half time team talk and discussion?
  • Unless he picked up the injury walking back onto the pitch there is no excuse for why Reeves wasnt ready

This. Was very odd and can't be acceptable.
    It was either two things:

1: mis-communication with the 4th official
    2: flare-up at HT resulting with (Reeves not warmed up) everyone being unprepared.

I’m being generous and going with 1
  • All I can think is that Ajose had a issue going in, so Bows told Reeves he would be on around 60 mins if Ajose couldnt continue.

Then as they got up to return Ajose's issue flared up and Reeves had to get on, so it took hik a few minutes to get ready
  • Sponsored links:

• Don't really understand why it happened but from Charltons point of view it shouldn't have. Reeves who I thought had a really good game took an age to get ready, why the fuck players aren't ready to come on at any time is beyond me.

However the management team need to take the blame, should have delayed all the players until Reeves was ready.

As for Ajose he brings nothing to the team.
  • Reeves all over. always late to the party.....
  • Lots of rumours in the West stand that Ajose had thrown a hissy fit and refused to come out. It certainly took him a long time to amble off last at half time and some of us didn’t hold back in telling him what we thought of his first half performance. He punched the tunnel in temper as he entered which was about as much effort as he put in all day.

Would love the strop off version to be true. If I suspect it’s bollox.
  • Reeves is so creaky nowadays that after the 10 layers of cotton wool have been removed from his body, he has to spend 1/2 an hour warming up ((:>) .. (only joking Reevsie)
  • So we can move on from a very bizarre incident, Ajose felt his hamstring tighten again as the players left the dressing room after he was going to give it a go for a while.
    Reeves was preparing to come on after just minutes of the 2nd half.
    The Referee can only count to 10 so didn't realize a player was missing. Fortunately Wycombe didn't score in the interim.

Nicky Ajose's Charlton career is struggling as he can't get on the same wavelength as Taylor and Grant who are dovetailing well.
  • So we can move on from a very bizarre incident, Ajose felt his hamstring tighten again as the players left the dressing room after he was going to give it a go for a while.
    The Referee can only count to 10 so didn't realize a player was missing. Fortunately Wycombe didn't score in the interim.

Nicky Ajose's Charlton career is struggling as he can't get on the same wavelength as Taylor and Grant who are dovetailing well.

Ajose was the one playing out of position. To be fair we've all seen how ineffective Karlan also is when playing in midfield
  • Definitely poor in the first half - but largely because he was hopelessly out of position. Wasn’t really fair to start him there IMO.
  • edited September 2018
    Did Ajose come out to watch 2nd half though, didn't see him and my initial instinct was the hissy fit hence Reeves not being ready.
  • Sponsored links:

• People saying he was out of position are wide of the mark. Something wasn’t right with him yesterday. Three times he completely missed the ball - like misjudged the flight of the ball. Basic passes to him he just completely missed.

I dont believe there was an injury at all - I think Ajose has issues. Maybe he had a barney with Bowyer or maybe he’s just not in a good place but I don’t believe he’s physically injured

didn't think you could start the game without the correct 11 players. Poor refereeing imo......but then again he was just the latest in a long line of numpties we've seen down there.
    Oh, Golfie ..... you can't blame the referee for that!

The Laws of the Game require that a team have at least 7 of a team's nominal 11 players on the field.
    We had 10.

There was 15 minutes of the HT interval to get re-organised.
    It's Charlton's problem if they can't put 11 players on the park when the referee is ready to start the 2nd half.

• edited September 2018

So we can move on from a very bizarre incident, Ajose felt his hamstring tighten again as the players left the dressing room after he was going to give it a go for a while.

Cheers for clearing that up.

I actually thought Ajose looked decent in the first half. The ball went in to him and stuck. But as you say he doesn't seem to be on the same wavelength as Grant and Taylor, who played pretty much all of preseason together with Ajoae playing mostly with Magennis. Being asked to play as a 10 doesn't help eithwr.
  • SDAddick said:

So we can move on from a very bizarre incident, Ajose felt his hamstring tighten again as the players left the dressing room after he was going to give it a go for a while.

Cheers for clearing that up.

I actually thought Ajose looked decent in the first half. The ball went in to him and stuck. But as you say he doesn't seem to be on the same wavelength as Grant and Taylor, who played pretty much all of preseason together with Ajoae playing mostly with Magennis. Being asked to play as a 10 doesn't help eithwr.
    I respect and enjoy your posts and maybe watching it on TV doesn't give the overall picture as opposed to seeing it live, but Ajose was 100% atrocious yesterday.
  • 1 goal Nicky gets a lot of support on here; unsure why
  • He is absolutely pony.
    Get did and move on.
  • The last kick of the first half was Ajose's wildly overhit corner that sailed directly out of play.

Ref called time. That's enough of that.
  • Ajose was very poor. After all this time he hasn’t convinced anyone he can make a success at the Valley. He was out of position yesterday so that didn’t help. He is a goal hanger type who poached in the area. It’s pointless having him wide. However, I don’t think even if he had a whole seasonip top would he get into double figures. Taylor, on the other hand, will do the business. Sometimes a player just doesn’t fit in. It would be better for him to go permanently in January.
  • Had high hopes of Ajose when we signed him from Swindon be, but has been a huge disappointment. Looks lazy and disinterested in majority of games . I think yesterday was his chance , but again he was rubbish. Can't see LB picking him again after that ..
  • Yet when he came on v Peterborough he was very influential.

He wasn't good yesterday but was out of position.

No doubt however that overall he's been poor for us.

Grant and Taylor look like a pair, Ajose doesn't come close to replacing either for goals, pace or effort.

With Reeco on loan and Ajose injured we only have Igor as back up