Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

75 inch television

edited September 2018 in Not Sports Related
Never had a television over 32 inches before but we're moving soon and planning on whacking a giant on the wall... Anyone have a 75 inch television they highly recommend? Or one to avoid? Not looking to pay silly oled prices, under 2k preferably. Cheers.

Comments

• How big is the room?
  • Addickted said:

My mate is only 6' 1" but he's been a transvestite for over ten years if that helps.

Do you think he could find a couple of inches from somewhere??
  • Don't suppose you fancy buying a football club instead?

Go on then, what one?
  • edited September 2018
    Chizz said:

How big is the room?

Big enough for a 75 inch television
  • Addickted said:

My mate is only 6' 1" but he's been a transvestite for over ten years if that helps.

Too small
  • edited September 2018
    I'm happy with my 42 inches, but enough about my co...

If you're going for a massive TV Talal, I assume you'll be going for the full works, with surround sound etc as well
  • IMHO a mid range HD projector would be a better choice and it would be cheaper.
  • Sponsored links:

• Talal said:

Chizz said:

How big is the room?

Big enough for a 75 inch television
    Good. Because if you're sitting any closer than about 14 feet from a 75" tv, you'll be too close to enjoy it properly.

So, with a room that big, what will you be doing for sound? That is, will you have a separate sound system (and therefore you're only looking for a tv monitor, which will dramatically reduce the price) or do you want the tv to act as the sound source too?
  • Was thinking of just getting a soundbar but not researched that part thoroughly yet. Going to go round there tomorrow to measure up for 65", see if it'll be enough for the room. Big difference in price and I'm struggling to find a 75 with solely positive reviews.
  • I'd suggest that you work out what to do about sound before choosing the tv. That would probably save lots of money compared to doing it the other way round.
  • Chizz said:

I'd suggest that you work out what to do about sound before choosing the tv. That would probably save lots of money compared to doing it the other way round.

Ok thanks for the advice.
  • Cheap pair of binoculars instead?
  • Cheap pair of binoculars instead?

Proper Charlton that!
  • edited September 2018
    johnny73 said:

IMHO a mid range HD projector would be a better choice and it would be cheaper.

I’m going to be chuckling about sub £2k projectors being mid-range for quite some time :smiley:
  • Just sit closer to your 32" ffs.

Why didn't I think of that.
  • Sponsored links:

• I’ve got a 65in up from a 46in. The new one looked huge straight out of the box but within a day or so I new I should of gone super size.
    A telly can never be too big.

Yh wouldn't want regrets when it's a good sum of money. Sounds sad but we're going to make a couple of cardboard cut outs, stick one at a time to wall for a while to try get a better feel for it.
  • cafcfan said:

Okay. Some serious advice. The size (ooh err Missus) is almost irrelevant. What you need to know is whether you are watching in SD, HD or UHD and how far away you are from the screen. Without that info, no recommendation on screen size can be meaningful. Surprisingly, there is no real benefit to watching UHD on a big screen unless you are viewing from the correct distance. Here's the calculator - https://inchcalculator.com/tv-size-viewing-distance-calculator/

Broadly, for UHD you need to be sitting between 7.5ft - 11.8ft away from a 75" screen. If you were to sit less than 4.5ft away, you'd be able to see the individual pixels which would not be a good experience. Further away than 12ft - you'd be wasting your money.

Helpful cheers, will get the tape measure out tomorrow!
  • I’ve got a 65in up from a 46in. The new one looked huge straight out of the box but within a day or so I new I should of gone super size.

This.

Currently have a 65in and it looked massive when I first got it. After a day I was totally used to it.

Use something like this....then go for it

https://www.inchcalculator.com/tv-size-viewing-distance-calculator/

• Fumbluff said:

johnny73 said:

IMHO a mid range HD projector would be a better choice and it would be cheaper.

I’m going to be chuckling about sub £2k projectors being mid-range for quite some time :smiley:
    Based on the info we have the Optoma UHD6O 4K projector would be more than capable of doing the job. It's on Amazon for £1100. With a low end projector being under a grand and a high end over 4, then anything in between is mid range.
  • She was half way across the Irish Sea when she discovered a 22” Murphy was a colour TV.
  • Talal said:

I’ve got a 65in up from a 46in. The new one looked huge straight out of the box but within a day or so I new I should of gone super size.

Yh wouldn't want regrets when it's a good sum of money. Sounds sad but we're going to make a couple of cardboard cut outs, stick one at a time to wall for a while to try get a better feel for it.
    No, don’t do that. Not a manly thing to do, sounds like your partner is having too much of a input in the telly choosing. Go with your instincts.

Seriously, a good quality 75in will cost a fortune compared to a 65in. Also, (probably stating the obvious), there is a very good reason why prices vary so much, quality costs and not all large panels are the same. I take it you are going for 4K, make sure it 10 bit, Sky Q needs this to work at its potential.
  • edited September 2018
    Talal said:

cafcfan said:

Okay. Some serious advice. The size (ooh err Missus) is almost irrelevant. What you need to know is whether you are watching in SD, HD or UHD and how far away you are from the screen. Without that info, no recommendation on screen size can be meaningful. Surprisingly, there is no real benefit to watching UHD on a big screen unless you are viewing from the correct distance. Here's the calculator - https://inchcalculator.com/tv-size-viewing-distance-calculator/

Broadly, for UHD you need to be sitting between 7.5ft - 11.8ft away from a 75" screen. If you were to sit less than 4.5ft away, you'd be able to see the individual pixels which would not be a good experience. Further away than 12ft - you'd be wasting your money.

Helpful cheers, will get the tape measure out tomorrow!
    Having a big Telly won't actually make your little Talal bigger....
    ;-(
  • edited September 2018
    On another note I'm selling a 55'' Panasonic for £300 if anyone interested. Nothing wrong just moved and too big.
    Message me if interested.
  • Have you tried Specsavers?