Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Ryder Cup 2018 September 28th-30th

Under 3 weeks away, all stuff/ chat in here please so we can build it up. Looks like the Americans have a very good team this year:
Bryson Dechambeau - Sounds like a wine - Captains pick
Tiger woods - Captains Pick
Phil Mickelsen - Captains Pick
1 captain pick to go (probably between Tony Finau and Kevin Kisner)
Rickie Fowler
Dustin Johnson
Brooks Koepka
Patrick Reed
Webb Simpson
Jordan Speith
Justin Thomas
Bubba Watson

Europe:
Ian Poulter- Captains Pick
Paul Casey- Captains Pick
Henrik Stenson- Captains Pick
Sergio Garcia - Captains Pick
Francesco Molinari - Open winner ;)
Tommy Fleetwood
Tyrell Hatton
Rory Mclroy
Alex Noren
Thor Olesen
John Rahm
Justin Rose

On paper looks like we might be losing this one, last 8 ryder cups Europe have won 6. USA are the holders. Held in france this year
Le Golf National, Albatros Course, Saint-Quentin-en-Yvelines

Official site if anyone wants to have a look https://www.rydercup.com/

Normally 14.5 points will win it, if scores are tied the holders retain the trophy.

Updated to show Europe's Captains pick, also correct points needed to win.

Comments

• Interesting that Tiger Woods has been called up

His form is certainly coming back but his team performance at the Ryder Cup has never been great

i.e. Just looking at the times he's been at the Ryder Cup; United States have only won once
  • Interesting that Tiger Woods has been called up

His form is certainly coming back but his team performance at the Ryder Cup has never been great

i.e. Just looking at the times he's been at the Ryder Cup; United States have only won once

It was expected lately he has given himself chances in quite a few tournaments so is in good form and great to see him back finding some form personally, always been a great of the game so like him to do well. Hopefully he will be on the losing side again..
  • 14.5 points wins you the RC....14 points and its a draw & you get to keep the trophy as current holders.

Looking at the 2 teams you would say that the USA have the better players & should win. However this is RC - matchplay is not strokeplay & also a team event.Tiger Woods record is poor in 4 ball & 4 somes & we (hopefully) will have Poulter.

Just gutteed I promised Golfie Jnr we'd go to Luton on the saturday.....he said just to record it & watch it when I get in. hmmm
  • literally cannot wait, the Saturday is my birthday.

my favourite sporting event after the WC and Euro's......and it's not far behind either of those to be honest

think Garcia will sneak the last captain's pick for experience (plus he shot a 64 round that course in his last decent round)
  • 14.5 points wins you the RC....14 points and its a draw & you get to keep the trophy as current holders.

Looking at the 2 teams you would say that the USA have the better players & should win. However this is RC - matchplay is not strokeplay & also a team event.Tiger Woods record is poor in 4 ball & 4 somes & we (hopefully) will have Poulter.

Just gutteed I promised Golfie Jnr we'd go to Luton on the saturday.....he said just to record it & watch it when I get in. hmmm

Thanks Golfie, i wasn't sure as was checking previous results.

I agree on paper USA look super strong, but in the past on paper they normally have the higher ranked players and we have a good record.

Not sure on Europes captains picks? Sergio & Casey im guessing? Is Poulter going to get in on past form alone as one for the occasion.
  • literally cannot wait, the Saturday is my birthday.

my favourite sporting event after the WC and Euro's......and it's not far behind either of those to be honest

think Garcia will sneak the last captain's pick for experience (plus he shot a 64 round that course in his last decent round)

Sounds good to me, The ryder cup is probably my fave golf event, just booked off the friday which i think i will be going to the pub early with my mate and will make a day off it. Good reason to have a chilled weekend too, could do with one of those too :)
  • Poulter, Wallace, Garcia & Pieters would be my four wildcards. Not that it matters, think the yanks have us this year. Hopefully will be proved wrong.
  • Casey maybe ?
  • lolwray said:

Casey maybe ?

Casey / Poulter have to be certs surely so that leaves 2 spots Garcia + Stenson maybe? thats my 4 picks but its not formality, tough call.
  • Without a doubt Poulter is a must for the RC. What that man brings out in himself and his teammates is amazing. It must live for this competition. Those wide eyed looks that he gives after a great shot is what makes the RC so entertaining.
  • Sponsored links:

• ian poulter is mr ryder cup has to be picked, as others have said if not for ability its what he brings to the table. the american team look v good. the big plus this year is its in france so we wont have to put up with the yanky doody bile of shouting and general shit behaviour.
  • lolwray said:

Casey maybe ?

Casey / Poulter have to be certs surely so that leaves 2 spots Garcia + Stenson maybe? thats my 4 picks but its not formality, tough call.
    Garcia yes but for me,Stensons not putting well at all at the moment,big question mark over him. He is the Iceman though,a big player and i would imagine a very calming influence on the less experienced players
  • ian poulter is mr ryder cup has to be picked, as others have said if not for ability its what he brings to the table. the american team look v good. the big plus this year is its in france so we wont have to put up with the yanky doody bile of shouting and general shit behaviour.

The downside is we have to put up with the French ;)
  • edited September 2018

ian poulter is mr ryder cup has to be picked, as others have said if not for ability its what he brings to the table. the american team look v good. the big plus this year is its in france so we wont have to put up with the yanky doody bile of shouting and general shit behaviour.

The downside is we have to put up with the French ;)
    white hankies at the ready............
  • Finau will get the last US spot and is an absolute birdie machine.

I wouldn't take Sergio - barely a top 125 money earner this year. He will be missed but there are other leaders who can step up.

I'd go for Casey, Poulter, Cab-Bello then Stenson if he's 100% fit - Pieters if not.
  • 1st pick is Casey
  • 2nd pick Garcia
  • Poults is in!
  • Stenson is the final pick
  • So i called it, somehow just based on first 4 names i thought off. Still makes sense to go with experience. Happy with that solid team
  • Sponsored links:

• So i called it, somehow just based on first 4 names i thought off. Still makes sense to go with experience. Happy with that solid team

Good shout. Yes,a solid team indeed,listening to Thomas Bjorns reasoning behind each pick justifies each one fully. Cant wait!
  • edited September 2018
    Good 4 picks there. Garcia is a good team player.
  • I would have gone with RCB rather than Garcia but I can understand the reasoning. Let's just hope that Sergio can find some form in the next 3 weeks.
  • And @johnnybev, how could you forget Open winner Francesco Molinari?
  • And @johnnybev, how could you forget Open winner Francesco Molinari?

Valid point lol i won money on him then too, poor effort i was just reading off a list. Knew he was in the team though, will update OP thanks.
  • I'm off to Paris on Thursday, got tickets for the Friday! Can't wait, never been to any golf competition that is vaguely like the Ryder Cup, come on you Bluesss!
  • Anyone know what the ticket prices are for this ?
    As its only 2 hours drive from me , might be the only RC i'd get to see live.
  • Anyone know what the ticket prices are for this ?
    As its only 2 hours drive from me , might be the only RC i'd get to see live.

169 euros for the friday.
  • Be aware if you are going that the atmosphere should be brilliant but it is very hard to watch with so many spectators and so few games.
  • We had a superb time at Gleneagles four years ago. Pick your hole with a decent stand, get there sharp, then watch all the games come by - esp for the singles. Don't try and follow one game.