Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

UEFA Nations League

Comments

• cafctom said:

All sounds very straight forward....

Is even more straight forward if all sides from Division A Qualify via. the Standard route as means the Play-Off slots for Division A will need to be filled by teams from the other Divisions
  • With 24 countries reaching Euro 2020, you have to especially rubbish to not reach the finals, whether through qualifying or the Nations League!

It'll be a strange tournament as it's spread across Europe, 7 games at Wembley (including the semis and final), 3 at Hampden, 3 in Dublin.
  • Clear as mud

• With 24 countries reaching Euro 2020, you have to especially rubbish to not reach the finals, whether through qualifying or the Nations League!

It'll be a strange tournament as it's spread across Europe, 7 games at Wembley (including the semis and final), 3 at Hampden, 3 in Dublin.

Helloooo Scotland.
  • edited July 2018
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42719404

Well explained by the BBC here.

"As you may have deduced from that video, the structure of the play-offs means that one nation from each tier will claim a finals place. So one of Azerbaijan, Macedonia, Belarus, Georgia, Armenia, Latvia, Faroe Islands, Luxembourg, Kazakhstan, Moldova, Liechtenstein, Malta, Andorra, Kosovo, San Marino or Gibraltar will qualify for a major tournament."
  • https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42719404

"As you may have deduced from that video, the structure of the play-offs means that one nation from each tier will claim a finals place. So one of Azerbaijan, Macedonia, Belarus, Georgia, Armenia, Latvia, Faroe Islands, Luxembourg, Kazakhstan, Moldova, Liechtenstein, Malta, Andorra, Kosovo, San Marino or Gibraltar will qualify for a major tournament."

May not be great as a spectacle but no worse thsn Panama being at The World Cup and will be great for the country itself if a Belarus or a Georgia make a major tournament

So the whole exercise will be taken most seriously by the worst teams. Indeed for teams in the bottom 2 sections this is a far more likely way to qualify than the normal group stage of qualifying, so isn't there a risk that teams might rest players for the qualifiers and instead play their best teams in this?
  • edited July 2018

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42719404

So the whole exercise will be taken most seriously by the worst teams. Indeed for teams in the bottom 2 sections this is a far more likely way to qualify than the normal group stage of qualifying, so isn't there a risk that teams might rest players for the qualifiers and instead play their best teams in this?
    No I don't think so as the two do not directly overlap. Nations League will be done by November this year (for 39 out of 55 countries) with the exception of the semi finals and final in the summer of 2019 for the other sixteen teams.

Qualifiers start in March next year.
  • One part that I do like is that it's going to guarantee a 'big' international final every summer rather than having a couple of pointless June friendlies.

2018 World Cup
    2019 Nations League
    2020 Euro
    2021 Nations League
    2022 World Cup

And so on.
  • Sponsored links:

No I don't think so as the two do not directly overlap. Nations League will be done by November this year (for 39 out of 55 countries) with the exception of the semi finals and final in the summer of 2019 for the other sixteen teams.

Qualifiers start in March next year.
    Yes, looking at the fixtures we have Nations League AND 2 friendlies in the autumn (Switzerland and USA). Strange to not be playing a qualifying match for another 8 months
  • One part that I do like is that it's going to guarantee a 'big' international final every summer rather than having a couple of pointless June friendlies.

2018 World Cup
    2019 Nations League
    2020 Euro
    2021 Nations League
    2022 World Cup

And so on.

Dont forget the confed.
  • Or the Asian Cup eh Paulie?
  • And Copa America
  • African Cup of Nations

2018 World Cup
    2019 Nations League
    2020 Euro
    2021 Nations League
    2022 World Cup

And so on.

Though ridiculously, there will be a 3rd place playoff match for the losing semi finalists!

2018 World Cup
    2019 Nations League
    2020 Euro
    2021 Nations League
    2022 World Cup

And so on.

Dont forget the confed.
    There has been talk of the Confederations Cup being scrapped and replaced by larger Club World Cup

2018 World Cup
    2019 Nations League
    2020 Euro
    2021 Nations League
    2022 World Cup

And so on.

Dont forget the confed.
    Silly me!
  • TBF WSS It might not mean much to you but tbe Confed does mean something to most countries.

Only tournament winners and next world cup hosts in it,

Its a nice build up to World Cup the following year.

I would love to win it.

And its still a big international final which callum was talking about.

So no need for your snide comment like I was talkimg about a small competitin that noone cares about

http://www.espn.com/soccer/blog-fifa/story/3246844/expanded-club-world-cup-could-replace-confederations-cup-infantino
  • Sponsored links:

• just got tickets for the Spain game at Wembley on the 8th Sept, 7.45pm KO

ticks something off the kids bucket list after the WC
  • edited September 2018
    Starts this week. Here’s a list of the ‘League A’ games plus any other home nations games in the lower leagues...

Thursday:
    Wales v Rep. of Ireland
    Germany v France

Friday:
    Italy v Poland

Saturday:
    N. Ireland v Bosnia & Herzegovina
    Switzerland v Iceland
    England v Spain

Sunday:
    Denmark v Wales
    France v Netherlands

Monday:
    Scotland v Albania
    Portugal v Italy

Tuesday:
    Iceland v Belgium
    Spain v Croatia
  • We're taking our kids to the Spain match next Saturday but if I'm being honest then in my mind it's really a friendly.
  • Taking my boy Saturday for our first visit to the revamped Wembley
  • Did anyone ever figure our how this works re qualification for the Euros?
  • se9addick said:

Did anyone ever figure our how this works re qualification for the Euros?

Yeah its a back door route to the Euros if you fail to qualify via the standard route that'll begin next March

Basically the four Group winners from each Level A / B / C / D go into their own play offs, the four winners will then qualify for the Euros

If you qualify via the original route AND win your Nations League Group, your play off spot in the latter gets given to the next best team who didnt qualify by the original route
  • i like the idea gives us a chance to win something and 2 chances to qualify also makes us play strong opposition.

heading to the game on Saturday doing a charlton and england double header.

What interests me is if all 12-sides from Level A qualify via the original route (You'd expect the majority to do so) as would then give the teams in Group B a second Play-Off to fill the places

Also interested to see what happens in Level D as there will be a minnow at the Euros due to the format so expect that to be someone like Macedonia / Azerbaijan / Luxembourg
  • as a side note i'm really looking forward to seeing England play and it makes me proud to say i am watching the world cup semi finalists vs Spain, after an unforgettable summer hope there is a bit of noise and a big gstq for the 3 lions.

I'm partly dreading it... I know I should never worry about what fans say yet those who constantly slag England off (i.e. lose and the mocking comes out, win and it was against easy opposition) will be out in force after the Spain / Croatia games and if we do fail to win then we're going to have to put up with the constant crap that confirms England didnt deserve to get to the Semi-Finals!!