Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Whisky

Comments

• Options
    I have just cracked open a 12 year old 'Old Pulteney" Single Malt. Very surprised by it and very drinkable. It was a gift and would not have been on my radar if buying for myself but it is now.
  • Options

I have just cracked open a 12 year old 'Old Pulteney" Single Malt. Very surprised by it and very drinkable. It was a gift and would not have been on my radar if buying for myself but it is now.

I recently 'rediscovered' Old P. and I must agree with you!

• Options

I recently 'rediscovered' Old P. and I must agree with you!

The 21 year old is superb
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    #WorldWhiskyDay Today.
  • Options
    EastStand said:

Jack Daniels, although called a whisky, is actually just over processed, artificially flavoured, well-marketed piss-water fit only for drinking drowned in post-mix or straight from a bottle, sat in the park, by people too young to know any better.

Jack Daniels isn't exactly cheap.

While I don't drink the stuff myself, you're being harsh. In what way is it over processed?
  • Options
    Currently working my way through a bottle of Wild Turkey Rare Breed, a powerhouse of a bourbon that, if not handled correctly, tears through your throat like lava through candyfloss
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    Dazzler21 said:

Always wondered about decent whiskeys but Jack Daniels is as close as I've come to tasting a real Whiskey and I can't believe that is the same stuff people all over the world talk up all the time.

Not intended as a pedantic remark but my limited knowledge tells me that 'whiskey' and 'whisky' are different drinks.

@PragueAddick mentioned 'whisky.'

EDIT: Why am I commenting on something from October 2017?!
  • Options
    Whiskey and whisky are indeed different, Bourbon Whiskey is from America and is under strict rules about the amount of Rye, Barley and Wheat they use, the barrels it is aged in and where it is distilled and matured.

Scotch has it's own distinct rules including Malts and blends and whether or not it's a single distillery or a mix between different casks. The barrels are mainly ex Bourbon barrels or sherry casks and the rules on distillation and maturation are slightly different
  • Options
    Slane Whiskey from County Meath. Smoother than Silky the Silkworm in his brand new silk pyjamas.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I'm certainly no connoisseur of whisky; infact, never really liked it at all, despite it being my late Dad's favourite tipple.

Anyway, whilst in Canada recently, my brother and I decided to have a single Johnnie Walker Blue Label in memory of our late Dad (his favourite scotch. Remember getting him a bottle in 1994 and he was saving it for a special occasion. Sadly, he didn't open it before he passed in 1996!). Got to say, we were both mightily impressed with it and surprised how much we enjoyed it. Followed it up with a Laphroaig, a totally different taste experience of course.

Repeated it in Dubai recently (at £25 a shot of Blue Label - wow!). Think I could quite get into it as a once in a while 'thing'.

As an aside, I spent about 3 months on the Isle of Islay back in 1994, beautiful place. Did a tour of the Bowmore distillery and remember being amazed at the amount of distilleries (8 I think?) on such a small island, incredible. Quite like the 'peaty', smokey flavour (if that's the right terminology?) of Islay single malts but the Blue Label was easier to drink.
  • Options

I'm certainly no connoisseur of whisky; infact, never really liked it at all, despite it being my late Dad's favourite tipple.

Anyway, whilst in Canada recently, my brother and I decided to have a single Johnnie Walker Blue Label in memory of our late Dad (his favourite scotch. Remember getting him a bottle in 1994 and he was saving it for a special occasion. Sadly, he didn't open it before he passed in 1996!). Got to say, we were both mightily impressed with it and surprised how much we enjoyed it. Followed it up with a Laphroaig, a totally different taste experience of course.

Repeated it in Dubai recently (at £25 a shot of Blue Label - wow!). Think I could quite get into it as a once in a while 'thing'.

As an aside, I spent about 3 months on the Isle of Islay back in 1994, beautiful place. Did a tour of the Bowmore distillery and remember being amazed at the amount of distilleries (8 I think?) on such a small island, incredible. Quite like the 'peaty', smokey flavour (if that's the right terminology?) of Islay single malts but the Blue Label was easier to drink.

If I spent 3 months on Islay my liver would collapse :)
  • Options

Ever tried Lagavulin? It’s the only peated Whisky I can drink - lovely and smooth.

I’ve only ever tried the 16 year so can only recommend that, but it sounds like you might enjoy it!
  • Options

In my opinion Jameson black barrel is nearly as smooth as Johnnie walker blue, for about a third of the price. I liked Johnnie blue but I was a bit disappointed after I built it up in my head because of leo from the west wing.

Really finding my way with whisky still, so not settled on a scotch. Currently on bowmore number one, which I'm finding needs a dash of water. Lovely once added.
  • Options
    If you like bowmore, bowmore darkest is worth checking out
  • Options
    I have a question concerning bourbon. Never really drank it, other than a bit of Jim beam here and there... I presume Jack Daniels isn't technically a bourbon? Anyway, I tend to prefer scotch from previous experience.

I recently went to Dirty Martinis with some colleagues, because I clearly had too much money and needed to lose it, forthwith. I had an Old Fashioned... Woodford reserve, bitters, brown sugar, and some orange peel. It was lush. Lush I tell you.

I fancy making some myself... I have all the ingredients other than the bourbon. Tesco sell Woodford reserve, but I wondered what other bourbons people suggest, or other tips for mixers.
  • Options
    McBobbin said:

I have a question concerning bourbon. Never really drank it, other than a bit of Jim beam here and there... I presume Jack Daniels isn't technically a bourbon? Anyway, I tend to prefer scotch from previous experience.

I recently went to Dirty Martinis with some colleagues, because I clearly had too much money and needed to lose it, forthwith. I had an Old Fashioned... Woodford reserve, bitters, brown sugar, and some orange peel. It was lush. Lush I tell you.

I fancy making some myself... I have all the ingredients other than the bourbon. Tesco sell Woodford reserve, but I wondered what other bourbons people suggest, or other tips for mixers.

Drier the better, I prefer rye because of the sugar in the cocktail. in terms of bourbon Woodford is the best I've found for an old fashioned, makers mark is nice too. Jack daniels is too sweet for me.

Maple syrup is a good replacement for the sugar too, get a good one and it's a lovely flavour.
  • Options
    Thanks folks! I'll get some Woodford I think
  • Options
    The one on the right is barrel proof, no cutting, no compromise on taste, it's punchy as hell but amazingly smooth for a highproof bourbon
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

My eldest boy bought me one for Christmas about 4 years' ago (came in presentation box) and it's still unopened. No particular reason just haven't got round to it.

• Options
    Addickted said:
    Bloody hell.... "one is believed to have been opened and consumed"

Why wasn't I invited?
  • Options
    I used to love Islay single malts, but recently have been having Speyside ones, particularly (don't laugh) Tesco 12 year old single malt, very good at £25 a bottle, even better when reduced to £20!
    I would like a bit of variety now, not Islay, but a lovely single malt of some kind that is accessible and affordable. Any suggestions?
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    seth plum said:

I used to love Islay single malts, but recently have been having Speyside ones, particularly (don't laugh) Tesco 12 year old single malt, very good at £25 a bottle, even better when reduced to £20!
    I would like a bit of variety now, not Islay, but a lovely single malt of some kind that is accessible and affordable. Any suggestions?

You can never go wrong with Highland park. Some nice unpeated Islay ones as such as bruichladdich and they can both be quite reasonably priced
  • Options
    seth plum said:

Try a couple of the different Aberlour or Macallans.

They are my go to when I want a change from Laphraoig or Caol Ila.

• Options
    I’ve recently been able to stomach whisky again after totally poisoning myself at the age of 14 after me and 2 mates stole a bottle from dads cabinet,( I got a hiding for that!)

I bought this for Christmas last year.

https://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies/drinks-by-the-dram/whisky-advent-calendar/

Beats a crappy little chocolate behind every door! A couple of the whisky’s sell for hundreds of dollars by the bottle, the range and quality is really good.
    I’ll be doing this again this year.
  • Options
    addick05 said:

My eldest boy bought me one for Christmas about 4 years' ago (came in presentation box) and it's still unopened. No particular reason just haven't got round to it.

I was the same, I have had my bottle for over two years and something just said to me "open it and drink it". Glad I did now.