Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

All SPL sides to mark Remembrance Day with poppy shirts

Think we should also do this down here ?

EVERY SPL team will wear special Remembrance Day jerseys next month.

The tribute will take place after poppy appeal organisers wrote to the 12 clubs asking them to wear the one-off kit - and all agreed.

Some clubs will have a small red poppy woven in to team jerseys on the day. Others will make their own tribute with players sporting a stick-on poppy.

Referees, their assistants and fourth officials will also join in the tribute by wearing a poppy on their outfits.

The jerseys will be worn in SPL matches to be played over the weekend of November 8-9. Remembrance Sunday falls on November 9 this year.

A spokeswoman for Poppyscotland, who used to be known as the Earl Haig Fund Scotland, said: "All the SPL clubs are involved and all their players will wear the special Scottish poppy which will greatly increase public awareness of the poppy appeal."

Last year, Hearts wore a special strip when they played a Remembrance Day match against Aberdeen at Tynecastle.

The decision was taken to honour the players of the legendary Hearts squad of season 1914-15, who died in World War I.

The club's entire first team squad had enlisted with the 16th Royal Scots, a battalion known as McCrae's Own.

Seven died in service. The strip worn by the Hearts players in 2007 had the names of the dead - John Allan, James Boyd, Duncan Currie, Ernest Ellis, Thomas Gracie, James Speedie and Harry Wattie - embroidered into the sleeve. The jersey also had a poppy on the chest.

Remembrance Day commemorates the sacrifices of members of the armed forces and of civilians since World War I.

Poppyscotland support war veterans and their dependants in Scotland. Last year the appeal raised a record s1.76million

From the Daily Record

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/ed...6908-20849623/

Comments

• I don't think WE should have to bring up points like this;
    Haven't the Football Clubs themselves got a consious without being "told" to commerate Remembrance Day ?
    Out of intrest , are Charlton Athletic doing anything to help this worthy appeal ?
  • Well done the Jocks. Should definitely be done down here too. Maybe they could auction the shirts after too, with all proceeds going to the British Royal Legion
  • They should change the Celtic badge into a poppy to mark the occasion.
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: Medders[/cite]Well done the Jocks. Should definitely be done down here too. Maybe they could auction the shirts after too, with all proceeds going to the British Royal Legion[/quote]

Great idea would love to have a Gers one
  • [cite]Posted By: leftbehind[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Medders[/cite]Well done the Jocks. Should definitely be done down here too. Maybe they could auction the shirts after too, with all proceeds going to the British Royal Legion

Great idea would love to have a Gers one

That would be a best seller if they produced one IMO
  • edited October 2008
    [cite]Posted By: miserableold-ish git[/cite]I don't think WE should have to bring up points like this;
    Haven't the Football Clubs themselves got a consious without being "told" to commerate Remembrance Day ?
    Out of intrest , are Charlton Athletic doing anything to help this worthy appeal ?

There has been a box of poppy's on sale in the club reception for a number of years but something like this would be a good idea.
  • I think a better gesture would be for the leagues to back this by getting all clubs to sport poppies on the sleeves instead of the league badges.

Don't think that'll happen somehow.
  • Would really like to see English football get behind the poppy appeal.
  • I think I saw something about leicester and burnley wearing special shirts on the football league website?