Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Jamie Ward Signs Loan till Jan 2019

Comments

• Now THAT is a shame... Judge would have been brilliant

Doesn't surprise me that we failed to sign Judge, but it's a massive shame as he is a truly excellent player and would have given us a potent attacking dimension at league 1 level.
  • The good thing from that video is that it looks like he can take a good free kick.

Even if he's 5 years older than in most of those clips, he hopefully won't have forgotten how to kick a deadball.
  • Decent calibre signing, would’ve been a star signing a few years back but things seemed to have faded for him over the past year or so. Hopefully he’s here to show what he can do rather than be a journeyman and fizzle out.
  • edited August 2018
    Does anyone else remember that 25 yard free kick he scored for Derby against us at The Valley? He took it in front of the east stand at the Jimmy Seed end.
  • Oggy Red said:

WE read that it's a loan only until January.

If the team are flying high in the table, does the panel think that if there was budget and the player performs well, there could be an option to extend the loan until end of season - or indeed sign the player permanently?

• Never get carried away with YouTube highlights. They are put together to specifically look great and in this case, a lot of that action was 5-7 years ago.

He looks a committed player with a bit of bustle and who seems to in those clips to be very sharp over the first ten yards. Whether he still haves that well have to wait and see

I know what you mean, but also remembering him playing at the Valley for Derby from 2012 onwards he was always an absolute menace. One of those players who makes darting runs and pulls the back line all over the place.

As you say, he's worryingly not played much in the last year, but perhaps like Yann he therefore has a point to prove. He now has a rookie manager who had a career at the highest level that can get the best out of him.

The issue will be, as always, if he has any recurring injury problems.
  • Positive: I've heard of him

Negative: 5 goals in 62 appearances is not prolific although, that said, in Current Charlton terms it probably is!
  • Sponsored links:

• Who’s the Charlton keeper who lets the ball straight through him...? pope?
    Scoham said:

Obligatory YouTube video.

https://youtu.be/BGrFHScc1-s

• If the stats I’m seeing are right, he played just 218 minutes club football for the whole of last season.

Worrying if true.

I've been a bit unsure about this one since I heard he was linked.

Feels a bit like the mark Marshall transfer. A player on the way down. Wingers often rely on pace and don't age well. You want experience in the spine of your team and youthful energy and pace out wide.

Still with everyone fit he will be a useful player in the squad to cover a number of positions but not be relied on to start too often. Ultimately a body through the door at this stage is useful.
  • Best thing for me is Neil Warnock giving him a glowing report. Warnock might be a xxxx but he knows his players.

He's definitely a Warnock, and probably a Bowyer type of player. Gives 100% and won't go missing on a cold night up North. Not convinced he has enough creative or goalscoring quality, but will compliment the likes of Fosu, Clarke and Taylor well.
  • Did he play for Swindon against us in the playoff semi
  • edited August 2018

Did he play for Swindon against us in the playoff semi

He's not played for Swindon, that was Danny Ward. Although there's more than one Danny Ward as well.
  • Another Irish lad. Happy about that being of Irisjh descent myself
  • ct_addick said:

Another Irish lad. Happy about that being of Irisjh descent myself

brought him in soley so that we'd get games called off due to international call ups, now that Magennis & Konsa have gone.
  • Why do Twitter have to throw shit like that in

Signed Jamie Ward

Bloody hell, wasn't expecting that, decent signing on paper, he always used to cause us trouble

We could have signed Alan Judge

For fucks sake
  • Sponsored links:

• Steve Gallen said he's away with Northern Ireland from Monday.
  • Hopefully a decent signing. Good work by the management team. If he is a busted flush we can get rid at Christmas but he could turn out to be exactly what we need.

Alan Judge would have been great but he hasn’t played much since his bad injury so I’m guessing that he’s not the player he was. If he was he’d be in the premier league by now. Shame as he was mustard.
  • edited September 2018
    Crusty54 said:

Steve Gallen said he's away with Northern Ireland from Monday.

So not available until the Bradford game in 2 weeks time and if selected will miss the away game v Walsall in October and the away game v Portsmouth in November
  • If the stats I’m seeing are right, he played just 218 minutes club football for the whole of last season.

Which is exactly why a potless midtable league one club in complete disarray have been able to sign him.
  • edited September 2018
    shirty5 said:

Crusty54 said:

Steve Gallen said he's away with Northern Ireland from Monday.

So not available until the Bradford game in 2 weeks time and if selected will miss the away game v Walsall in October and the away game v Portsmouth in November
    We'll have Fosu, Reeves and hopefully Clarke all fit by then, so not too much of a problem.

When you look at it and see Fosu, Ward, Cullen, Clarke, Reeves, Marshall, Igor, Grant, Taylor, that's very strong for this division, hopefully we can start winning some games now.
  • edited September 2018
    When Ward played against us, he was always like a horrible putt you had to hole to win a match in golf, a nasty little five footer. But hey he's our nasty little five footer now. Go Jamie! :smiley: .
  • Scoham said:

Obligatory YouTube video.

https://youtu.be/BGrFHScc1-s

Some very decent bits in there. Looks like he has a bit of spunk about him too. With signings like Pratley and Taylor as well, it does seem Bowyer is trying to add a little bit of steeliness to the team, certainly something he had in abundance as a player so hardly surprising.
    Agree! We need that nasty competitive streak. We never lack for effort but sometimes you want players to back it up with a crunching tackle etc

Overall a bloody good window from Bowyer and Gallen....well done both.
  • Excellent when I've seen him play against us - hopefully has some of that form left.