Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Latest Films

Comments

• Options
    Wow I didn't know Blade Runner 2049 was directed by Villeneuve until now...... I absolutely loved his Prisoners. So will I find it difficult to understand 2049, as I haven't watched the original one?
  • Options

welcome back @JiMMy 85 always love your insights in this thread and in general

Hey thanks, very nice of you to say that.

Wow I didn't know Blade Runner 2049 was directed by Villeneuve until now...... I absolutely loved his Prisoners. So will I find it difficult to understand 2049, as I haven't watched the original one?

No, not really. All you need to know is that Harrison Ford was a guy who hunted down rogue robots (aka replicants aka skinjobs) and he fell in love with one... (and they drove off into the sunset - depending on which version you see - cos the thing is with Blade Runner, there isn't really a definitive version be it the Director's Cut, Theatrical Cut, Definitive Cut or whatever).

Personally I don't like any of them all that much. As with many Ridley Scott movies, it's got amazing visuals and incredible design aspects, but the man is not a great storyteller. As Harrison Ford once said, he plays a detective who only does one thing that's remotely detecivey!
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

welcome back @JiMMy 85 always love your insights in this thread and in general

Hey thanks, very nice of you to say that.

No, not really. All you need to know is that Harrison Ford was a guy who hunted down rogue robots (aka replicants aka skinjobs) and he fell in love with one... (and they drove off into the sunset - depending on which version you see - cos the thing is with Blade Runner, there isn't really a definitive version be it the Director's Cut, Theatrical Cut, Definitive Cut or whatever).

Personally I don't like any of them all that much. As with many Ridley Scott movies, it's got amazing visuals and incredible design aspects, but the man is not a great storyteller. As Harrison Ford once said, he plays a detective who only does one thing that's remotely detecivey!
    Thanks! I was thinking about watching it last week but didn't get around to it. I'll watch it this weekend then. And like johnnybev said, great to see you're back!
  • Options

IdleHans said:

If you get a chance, I really recommend I AM NOT A WITCH, which is now available on Netflix.

From Welsh-Zambian director Rungano Nyoni, for my money it's the best British debut feature in the last 10 years. It's a dark comedy/drama about a young Zambian girl that gets accused on being a witch and sent to an internment camp, where she ends up being co-opted by a shameless local official into helping him solve local disputes. It's genuinely funny, looks fantastic, great performances and contains some biting satire. Triffic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6U0T3DAyro

Watched this last night, and thought it was excellent. Might even watch it again tonight to catch the subtleties I may have missed once the bottle was half way down. @Addickhead86's summary is spot on, though I'd add that it is terrifically poignant in parts, and probably not one for ArseneTatters given the chicken in the circle scene...(though you dont actually see anything)

On Prime it's £2.99 to rent, and £2.99 to buy. Weird!
    Glad it wasn't just me. It's really rare to find a debut feature that hasn't had most of it's originality squashed out of it by the various development stages, so it's refreshing to see something as bold as this.
    Watched this last night on Netflix - very strange and surreal. Worth reading a review of the film to get an understanding of what it is about. You definitely need the subtitles.

Veers between comedy and tragedy and visually bits of it are stunning. Not like anything else I've seen recently.
  • Options
    A Quiet Place

I loved it. The concept is simple and there's plenty of room for questioning logic/behaviour but I implore anyone who watches it to not do that. Just go with it. Smaller in scale than I imagined, which is a good thing, but if I have any criticism it's that, despite being rather creepy cos of the lack of sound, the film tends to rely on jump scares (I don't respect jump scares very much, anything can be a jump scare if you whack 1.5 seconds of loud violins on top). Still, it's a minor quibble because the atomsphere is so well crafted.

Writer/ director/ star Krasinksi (now available in Jack Ryan form) can emote extremely well, even with a beard and no sound, and the kids are incredibly convincing. The daughter was amazing casting. It's nice and short (about 95 mins) so it doesn't come close to outstaying its welcome. In fact, I thought it was only an hour long until I checked!

Thoroughly recommend.

4/5.
  • Options

Fumbluff said:

Christopher Robin is banned in China and you'll be surprised to find out why......

Go on.....
    Sorry it's something I can't talk about. Just google "Christopher Robin banned in China". :smile:
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    JiMMy 85 said:

@hoof_it_up_to_benty - Beds isn't alone in hating Wes Anderson. There's a small, but very vocal group of us who think he's a twat and all his pretentious, style-over-substance films can go fuck themselves! Although I begrudgingly admit that the Hotel one was where his schtick worked fairly well. But I'll fist fight anyone who wants to go to war with me on Darjeeling, Tenebaums or Life Aquatic.

Who would have thought that a man that makes such smug, pretentious films would look like this.

• Options

JiMMy 85 said:

@hoof_it_up_to_benty - Beds isn't alone in hating Wes Anderson. There's a small, but very vocal group of us who think he's a twat and all his pretentious, style-over-substance films can go fuck themselves! Although I begrudgingly admit that the Hotel one was where his schtick worked fairly well. But I'll fist fight anyone who wants to go to war with me on Darjeeling, Tenebaums or Life Aquatic.

Who would have thought that a man that makes such smug, pretentious films would look like this.

There are an awful lot of weird looking directors...
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

A Quiet Place

I loved it. The concept is simple and there's plenty of room for questioning logic/behaviour but I implore anyone who watches it to not do that. Just go with it. Smaller in scale than I imagined, which is a good thing, but if I have any criticism it's that, despite being rather creepy cos of the lack of sound, the film tends to rely on jump scares (I don't respect jump scares very much, anything can be a jump scare if you whack 1.5 seconds of loud violins on top). Still, it's a minor quibble because the atomsphere is so well crafted.

Writer/ director/ star Krasinksi (now available in Jack Ryan form) can emote extremely well, even with a beard and no sound, and the kids are incredibly convincing. The daughter was amazing casting. It's nice and short (about 95 mins) so it doesn't come close to outstaying its welcome. In fact, I thought it was only an hour long until I checked!

Thoroughly recommend.

4/5.

We went back to someones house after spoons friday night and they put this on, i dont know if it was because i was drunk or not really in the mood didnt really follow it. I might have to give it another go, everyone else enjoyed it but i didn't really get it, in my defence i was smashed.
  • Options

JiMMy 85 said:

A Quiet Place

Thoroughly recommend.

4/5.

We went back to someones house after spoons friday night and they put this on, i dont know if it was because i was drunk or not really in the mood didnt really follow it. I might have to give it another go, everyone else enjoyed it but i didn't really get it, in my defence i was smashed.
    I saw this at the cinema, and it was a pretty unique experience. The opening twenty minutes are so silent that you could hear every sound in the auditorium. It created a weird audience participation exercise with everyone trying to stealth-eat their obnoxiously loud snacks as though they were the characters in the film. I guess that experience probably doesn't translate to home-viewing as much.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Is the new Mission Impossible worth a watch?
  • Options

Definitely. Fantastic action . Really enjoyed it .
  • Options

JiMMy 85 said:

Have I ever mentioned how much I hate this man and his films ? ;-)
  • Options

JiMMy 85 said:

Have I ever mentioned how much I hate this man and his films ? ;-)
    No - can you enlighten us.

• Options
    The Meg
    Just fancied a trip to the cinema for something I don't usually watch with the kids, and this was the best of a fairly poor selection. It's a good film in an unpretentious way. There are sharks, thrills and some people get eaten, though given the size of the shark, it's posible to imagine they could be swallowed whole and live on a bit like Marlin and Dory in 'Finding Nemo' - this is a big shark. Plus I usually like Jason Statham, so it was a fun, undemanding afternoon.
    6/10
  • Options

The Meg
    Just fancied a trip to the cinema for something I don't usually watch with the kids, and this was the best of a fairly poor selection. It's a good film in an unpretentious way. There are sharks, thrills and some people get eaten, though given the size of the shark, it's posible to imagine they could be swallowed whole and live on a bit like Marlin and Dory in 'Finding Nemo' - this is a big shark. Plus I usually like Jason Statham, so it was a fun, undemanding afternoon.
    6/10

I was surprisingly well entertained by this ridiculously over the top shark movie. This was a US-China co-production and it's interesting to see the influence of Chinese money in entertainment these days and how the requirements of the Chinese market affects the plot and characterizations. The love interest was particularly chaste and more concerned with family than getting up to any naughty business.
  • Options

Better than the last one.
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    The Meg lacked something. It's entertaining enough, but it's also not quite smart enough to do anything clever with the premise. It doesn't take itself seriously which is essential, and Statham clearly has fun. But it's not smart enough to be tense or scary. It's just... Statham vs giant shark. And that's what you get. As @Missed It says, the Chinese influence is clear and creates a mixed up tone. The family thing menitoned above is a great example of that.

One of the best action movies in recent memory. I think all the M:I movies are great entertainment, especially the last one, and it's amazing that such a well-used format is still so fresh and fun. This was the first time I was able to watch one of them without seeing a trailer, and it makes Cruise's stunts that much more fun to watch.
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

The Meg lacked something. It's entertaining enough, but it's also not quite smart enough to do anything clever with the premise. It doesn't take itself seriously which is essential, and Statham clearly has fun. But it's not smart enough to be tense or scary. It's just... Statham vs giant shark. And that's what you get. As @Missed It says, the Chinese influence is clear and creates a mixed up tone. The family thing menitoned above is a great example of that.

One of the best action movies in recent memory. I think all the M:I movies are great entertainment, especially the last one, and it's amazing that such a well-used format is still so fresh and fun. This was the first time I was able to watch one of them without seeing a trailer, and it makes Cruise's stunts that much more fun to watch.
    While China has film censorship it doesn't have film ratings, so basically everything has to be a 'U' and palatable for approved family viewing. The Chinese won't allow an alternative version of their movies for the west either, so that's the film everybody gets. It might work with Disney style family movies but for a giant scary shark movie it ends up being somewhat hamstrung.
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

My thoughts too.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    YARDIE
    Directorial debut by Idris Elba. Based on the novel by Victor Headley - tells the story of a young Jamaican man who seeks retribution for the murder of his brother.

Aml Ameen is excellent in the title role and Stephen Graham does his usual menacing role. The film catches the atmosphere of the 70s and 80s - very grimy and a soundtrack that takes you back to the time.

It was a lot better than I expected and very watchable. 8/10
  • Options
    SEARCHING
    Thriller about a missing girl from an Asian American family. The search is set around social media and highlights the differing way parents and children access technology. It's interesting enough but lacks a real punch. 6.5/10
  • Options
    BAD SAMARITAN
    David Tennant as the baddie !
    Good thriller story and every time you think you have guessed the next bit - you are wrong.
    8/10.
  • Options
    Finally, finally finally

Got Round to seeing the original Bladerunner movie, what a load of old tosh!
  • Options

Finally, finally finally

Got Round to seeing the original Bladerunner movie, what a load of old tosh!

I don’t know about tosh but it’s certainly one of the most overrated “Cult” films I've ever seen .
  • Options

Christopher Robin is banned in China and you'll be surprised to find out why......

Ms AA told me about the reason for this. Very funny but not, I guess, if you're in China and want to watch a dismal film.
  • Options
    Carter said:

Stephen Graham is one right role away from a well deserved Oscar. A proper actor, can really turn it on to be a nasty, really unlikable psychopath as much as he can be a believable loveable character

Just needs the right film ... similar to Gary Oldman who had to wait until Churchill.
  • Options

JiMMy 85 said:

Also, Blade Runner 2049 is an absolutely amazing piece of cinema! It's a shame some people here found it boring, cos I want to see more blockbusters like this from Villenueve. I don't care for Dune, but if he's remaking it, I am in. His films always have story-driven scripts combined with well-detailed characters.

Watched BR 2049 again the other week, even better second time round. Absolute quality. Can't believe how good it was considering its a sequel to an equally brilliant film. Think it could be a definitive Sci Fi film for the modern era similar to the original with its cult following
    I'll have to give it a second watch. I thought it was excellent but still inferior to the first one which was a game changer (and one of my two favouritest films along with American Graffiti).
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

A Quiet Place

Thoroughly recommend.

4/5.

Pretty much agree with that except for two things. I don't think it relied on jump scares (there wasn't much if any quiet-quiet-quiet-bang that I remember) and I'm more inclined to give it closer to 5/5. It's my film of the year so far.