Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Latest Films

Comments

• Options
    Went to see Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again with the family. We all loved it. 2 hours of pure unadulterated feel good entertainment. Cher was fantastic, she was No.1 the day I was born when she was just 19. She looks younger than me now, if you don't get too close to her.
  • Options

Well, the wife took me along to Mama Mia 2...All I can say is that the sunshine was nice, reminding me of my Greek hols in the 70s. Oh and Cher steals it at the end.

It was filmed in Croatia.
  • Options
    Upgrade. Decent effort along the lines of Bladerunner minus the budget. Reasonable plot and well acted, albeit you think you know who the real villain is, but do you? 6.5/10
  • Options
    Alpha. Another reasonable effort. Think 1000 years BC without Raquel and the budget and you willl get the gist. Little bit sentimental and will appeal to dog/ Wolf lovers. The lead was a bit too girly for my likes and it could have been grungier but watchable b movie. 5/10
  • Options
    IT. Pretty funny caper based upon a real life story of a 23 year game of playing IT during the month of May 6.5/10
  • Options

Just watched The Circle (not very new I know). Utter drivel. It had some interesting dead but it just or confused and lost in a maze of stories it started to tell but quickly forgot about. If it had any deep and meaningful message, it got buried by its woeful ability to pull this story together.

Disappointing, considering it had some decent actors on board. Black Mirror it is not.

I walked out on it after 60 min.
  • Options
    Took the kids to see Christopher Robin yesterday, really enjoyed the film. 8 out f 10.
  • Options
    buckshee said:

Took the kids to see Christopher Robin yesterday, really enjoyed the film. 8 out f 10.

I agree, except I went with the wife, and left the kids at home!
  • Options
    BlacKkKlansman

Spike Lee film about a rookie black policeman and his colleague's attempts to infiltrate the KKK to take down the organisation in their local area. It's based on a true story and is at times very shocking but there are moments of comedy.

John David Washington and Adam Driver head up the cast. The film ends with footage from recent events in Charlottesville and speeches from David Duke and Trump at the end - a simple but effective ending that leaves you feeling a bit numb. 8/10
  • Options
    Christopher Robin is banned in China and you'll be surprised to find out why......
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Christopher Robin is banned in China and you'll be surprised to find out why......

Go on.....
  • Options
    Fumbluff said:

Go on.....
    Sorry it's something I can't talk about. Just google "Christopher Robin banned in China". :smile:
  • Options
    Fumbluff said:

Go on.....
    Don't tell him Pike.
  • Options
    I remember reading a story that people were using internet memes to compare pictures of Winnie the Pooh and the Chinese leader.
    After a number of years the Chinese government began to clamp down on many references to Pooh and his friends.
    Don't know if this is the same reason Jessie mentions the film is banned.
  • Options
    If you get a chance, I really recommend I AM NOT A WITCH, which is now available on Netflix.

From Welsh-Zambian director Rungano Nyoni, for my money it's the best British debut feature in the last 10 years. It's a dark comedy/drama about a young Zambian girl that gets accused on being a witch and sent to an internment camp, where she ends up being co-opted by a shameless local official into helping him solve local disputes. It's genuinely funny, looks fantastic, great performances and contains some biting satire. Triffic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6U0T3DAyro
  • Options
    The spy who dumped me - 7.5/10 - Thought it was slightly better than expected, not just because you get to watch Mila Kunis... Action/Comedy, some funny bits and the other lead female was a quirky character. bit predictable but pretty non stop the whole way through and easy to watch.
  • Options

Fumbluff said:

Go on.....
    Sorry it's something I can't talk about. Just google "Christopher Robin banned in China". :smile:
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-45083944
  • Options

If you get a chance, I really recommend I AM NOT A WITCH, which is now available on Netflix.

From Welsh-Zambian director Rungano Nyoni, for my money it's the best British debut feature in the last 10 years. It's a dark comedy/drama about a young Zambian girl that gets accused on being a witch and sent to an internment camp, where she ends up being co-opted by a shameless local official into helping him solve local disputes. It's genuinely funny, looks fantastic, great performances and contains some biting satire. Triffic.

Thanks for this, @Addickhead86, passed me by on release but looks interesting and gets very good reviews. One on my watch list.
  • Options
    Fumbluff said:

Go on.....
    Xi Jinping is mocked online covertly as WInnie the Pooh

TBF there are worse characters to be mocked by!
  • Options
    Been ages since I went on this thread, been through tons of comments this morning and tried to resist saying anything cos I'm up to six months too late, but now I am bored at work (they haven't given me anything to do today).

@Mendonca In Asdas - Spot on about The Post. Painting by numbers by the best in the business is still painting by numbers.

@Bedsaddick - You were very forgiving of The Cloverfield Paradox! I wanted to like it, I really like the idea of that expanded universe.

@hoof_it_up_to_benty - Beds isn't alone in hating Wes Anderson. There's a small, but very vocal group of us who think he's a twat and all his pretentious, style-over-substance films can go fuck themselves! Although I begrudgingly admit that the Hotel one was where his schtick worked fairly well. But I'll fist fight anyone who wants to go to war with me on Darjeeling, Tenebaums or Life Aquatic.

@Redskin - genuinely quite touched that you asked after me. Nice one.

@TEL - Upgrade was a cool little movie. Only $6m budget I read. And you're right about the villain thing, I thought I had it nailed early on but it does a great job of keeping cards close to the chest. I hope the director gets some good offers.

Also, Blade Runner 2049 is an absolutely amazing piece of cinema! It's a shame some people here found it boring, cos I want to see more blockbusters like this from Villenueve. I don't care for Dune, but if he's remaking it, I am in. His films always have story-driven scripts combined with well-detailed characters.

In other news - Damascus Cover hasn't been mentioned, and that's good. It is so, so boring, I advise avoiding if you are considering watching it.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2018

Watched this last night, and thought it was excellent. Might even watch it again tonight to catch the subtleties I may have missed once the bottle was half way down. @Addickhead86's summary is spot on, though I'd add that it is terrifically poignant in parts, and probably not one for ArseneTatters given the chicken in the circle scene...(though you dont actually see anything)

On Prime it's £2.99 to rent, and £2.99 to buy. Weird!
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

Been ages since I went on this thread, been through tons of comments this morning and tried to resist saying anything cos I'm up to six months too late, but now I am bored at work (they haven't given me anything to do today).

@Mendonca In Asdas - Spot on about The Post. Painting by numbers by the best in the business is still painting by numbers.

@Bedsaddick - You were very forgiving of The Cloverfield Paradox! I wanted to like it, I really like the idea of that expanded universe.

@hoof_it_up_to_benty - Beds isn't alone in hating Wes Anderson. There's a small, but very vocal group of us who think he's a twat and all his pretentious, style-over-substance films can go fuck themselves! Although I begrudgingly admit that the Hotel one was where his schtick worked fairly well. But I'll fist fight anyone who wants to go to war with me on Darjeeling, Tenebaums or Life Aquatic.

@TEL - Upgrade was a cool little movie. Only $6m budget I read. And you're right about the villain thing, I thought I had it nailed early on but it does a great job of keeping cards close to the chest. I hope the director gets some good offers.

Also, Blade Runner 2049 is an absolutely amazing piece of cinema! It's a shame some people here found it boring, cos I want to see more blockbusters like this from Villenueve. I don't care for Dune, but if he's remaking it, I am in. His films always have story-driven scripts combined with well-detailed characters.

In other news - Damascus Cover hasn't been mentioned, and that's good. It is so, so boring, I advise avoiding if you are considering watching it.

@jiMMy 85 is back, @jiMMy 85 is back, whoaa, whoaa-aah
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    IdleHans said:

Watched this last night, and thought it was excellent. Might even watch it again tonight to catch the subtleties I may have missed once the bottle was half way down. @Addickhead86's summary is spot on, though I'd add that it is terrifically poignant in parts, and probably not one for ArseneTatters given the chicken in the circle scene...(though you dont actually see anything)

On Prime it's £2.99 to rent, and £2.99 to buy. Weird!
    Glad it wasn't just me. It's really rare to find a debut feature that hasn't had most of it's originality squashed out of it by the various development stages, so it's refreshing to see something as bold as this.
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

Isle of Dogs(Wes Anderson) is I think a brilliant piece of animation. I can understand some not liking his style as a director but this film is very creative and visually different.
  • Options

JiMMy 85 said:

Isle of Dogs(Wes Anderson) is I think a brilliant piece of animation. I can understand some not liking his style as a director but this film is very creative and visually different.
    I must admit, it crossed my mind to watch it last night but I refuse to pay for it! Will have to find it elsewhere.
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

Watched BR 2049 again the other week, even better second time round. Absolute quality. Can't believe how good it was considering its a sequel to an equally brilliant film. Think it could be a definitive Sci Fi film for the modern era similar to the original with its cult following
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

I really want to be more into Villeneuve, but I can't quite muster it. I'm always in with the premise and build up, but all his films end up letting me down. Except for Enemy, which I though was great.
  • Options

JiMMy 85 said:

I really want to be more into Villeneuve, but I can't quite muster it. I'm always in with the premise and build up, but all his films end up letting me down. Except for Enemy, which I though was great.
    That's interesting, do you know why that is? Especially as Enemy is probably his least accessible film!!

I first noticed him with Prisoners, which is a fairly standard thriller that, IMO, is elevated dramatically by his direction and Roger Deakins' photography.
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

JiMMy 85 said:

That's interesting, do you know why that is? Especially as Enemy is probably his least accessible film!!

I first noticed him with Prisoners, which is a fairly standard thriller that, IMO, is elevated dramatically by his direction and Roger Deakins' photography.
    Yeah, I think he's a really solid director and Deakin's work is uniformly great, I just find most of his films end up seeming like a compromise when they have a lot more potential. Like with Arrival, it's mysterious and it's visually really great and eerie, and then it ends up being a not very clever Christopher Nolany generic sci-fi.

Then again it's probably a taste and audience thing, for every person who likes the unexplained appearance of giant CGI spiders, there are probably 50 people who would be put off, so he can't throw that stuff into every film.
  • Options
    welcome back @JiMMy 85 always love your insights in this thread and in general