Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Crossrail delayed until autumn 2019

BREAKING NEWS: Crossrail will miss its December 2018 opening date and services will not start on the central section until autumn 2019.

Comments

• Not just a few weeks... bloody hell. How disappointing.
  • Not surprised. When does anything ever run to schedule in this country

I think it will be great once it’s in place, but can we ever get anything done and ready on time?
  • edited August 2018
    Well colour me gobsmacked. On time and on budget, yeah right, ever since its inception in 1971....

This excellent website foresaw this months ago.

I mean this shit happens, even in my beloved Germany, but banging on about on time and on budget, when they knew it's not, is just asking for it.
  • Very disappointing. I live in West Thamesmead so was really looking forward to having this nearby in Woolwich by the end of this year.

They are actually blaming Spurs for taking all of the electricians to help on their new stadium!
  • Is Daniel Levy Chief Project Manager?
  • Woolwich Station is supposedly one of the worst in terms of being behind
  • Sponsored links:

• Wasn't this originally meant to be ready for the Olympics?! I think the tunnelling was completed over a year ago which makes this pretty disappointing.

I think the new London Bridge was part of Thameslink 2000!
  • So is this project no longer on track?
  • It's now very Crossrail
  • am i right in saying crossrail was on time and on budget before sadiq was mayor?

TFL have already got a massive hole in their budget, this is going to make it even wider.
  • I'm not that arsed about the delay, ok it's not great, but the first 2 years of the rushed to open Jubilee line was a fucking horror show, rather they got it right and opened, then being stuck in a tunnel somewhere between Canary Wharf and Whitechapel on a regular basis.
  • am i right in saying crossrail was on time and on budget before sadiq was mayor?

TFL have already got a massive hole in their budget, this is going to make it even wider.

Theres a few people on here I'd expect to make a comment like that but you were not one of them.

If you delve into that website I mention above you will find out the reasons for the delays. All about professional incompetence and the usual arse-covering that stems from it.

This is a DoT project, dating back to before the time London had a mayor. Honestly it goes back to the 1970's. In that time Paris has built four of these things. They are the RER lines and they were built so long ago that they now look a bit shabby.

Of course it's not Sadiq's fault, but it's bad news which he could have done without, especially as it's not mainly a TfL managed project.

In the same way that prison riots aren't the fault of the Secretary of State, but affect that politician's reputation, bad news sticks
  • Sponsored links:

• Rothko said:

Woolwich Station is supposedly one of the worst in terms of being behind

Where will the Woolwich station be ? Is it in The Arsenal ?
  • Rothko said:

Woolwich Station is supposedly one of the worst in terms of being behind

Where will the Woolwich station be ? Is it in The Arsenal ?
    Yes,opposite the covered market.
  • Why have they left it so late to announce it? 9 months is a big delay, and the opening was due in 3/4 months from now. Surely they knew this wasn’t going to open on time at least 6-12 months ago with a big delay like that.
  • I had a fab erection many years ago.

Theres a few people on here I'd expect to make a comment like that but you were not one of them.

If you delve into that website I mention above you will find out the reasons for the delays. All about professional incompetence and the usual arse-covering that stems from it.

This is a DoT project, dating back to before the time London had a mayor. Honestly it goes back to the 1970's. In that time Paris has built four of these things. They are the RER lines and they were built so long ago that they now look a bit shabby.

Of course it's not Sadiq's fault, but it's bad news which he could have done without, especially as it's not mainly a TfL managed project.

In the same way that prison riots aren't the fault of the Secretary of State, but affect that politician's reputation, bad news sticks
    Well if citizens can't be arsed to find out who is responsible for what, but just blame the nearest politician of the wrong tribe, then they get the politicians they deserve.

Charlton were in the Championship before Sadiq Khan got voted in. I'm surprised some people on here haven't tried to pin that on him too.

True, but then I'm sure Sadiq would have been glorying in the positive publicity from the Crossrail launch in December, even though that's nothing to do with him. As Boris did with projects launched when Ken was mayor etc, it's the nature of politics
  • Addickted said:

am i right in saying crossrail was on time and on budget before sadiq was mayor?

Charlton were in the Championship before Sadiq Khan got voted in. I'm surprised some people on here haven't tried to pin that on him too.

Well aware of that.

ROT will be running against him in 2020

then as ROT member no. 8, I'm here to tell you that the Labour and Tory internal divisions will be nothing compared to ROT's :-)