Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Duchatelet spouting his opinions again

Comments

• Options
    Redrobo said:

On a positive note, he has at least accepted that you lose money owning a football club.

Surely not the brightest thing to do if your trying to sell a football club at an overinflated price?
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    seth plum said:

I don't have the language skills, but I would like to know about his comments about foreigners and immigrants in a clear, accurate translation and unambiguous way.
    A little while ago he had three stratifications, northern Europeans, foreigners, and 'the Chinese' which alerted me to thinking he was a straightforward racist. If he is now digging out immigrants, and also digging out Islam it would be worth knowing what he says in a crystal clear form.
    It is bad enough that as a very peculiar individual he is involved with Charlton, but I want to know if he can be exposed as the clear evil racist he appears to be.
    Of course being a racist actually has appeal for some, maybe the inhabitants of the very white sleepy town of St Truiden especially. However Belgian born Romalu Lukaku recently tweeted that if he plays well be is reported as Belgian over there, but play badly he is heavily framed as being of Congalese descent.
    I know it wouldn't be at the level of the hunting down of Corbyn, but an exposure of the racist nature of our owner would gain traction in places hitherto unexploited. Malky McKay's stinking racism towards Vincent Tan had ripples beyond the world of football.

Hi @seth plum - here is the machine-translated section of his interview which contains his thoughts on migration. The bits in bold are the questions, the bits in italics are his answers (although there is a bit in brackets explaining shorting which may not be his words) and the bits in [square brackets] are some of my thoughts.

You recently made a striking analysis: 'For migrants, there are no more jobs that can bear taxes. Consequently, they can no longer have any economic added value. ' That sounds hard.

That is the result of the way politicians and the population think about the economy: the number of useful jobs that generate tax revenues will not rise any more. I am talking about jobs in the manufacturing industry. Not about jobs in health care and education, because they are actually subsidized by the productive jobs. A minister who creates jobs in health care or education works counterproductively in that logic because the others then have to pay more taxes.

[I can think of one migrant who failed to add value when she was moved from Belgium to the UK to run a football club, despite being woefully incapable. But that single anecdote shouldn't be taken to assume that migrants in general do not make a positive contribution to a country's economy]

Labor experts, however, say that we need to find migrants because there are too few candidates in our country for some jobs. That is a strong argument?

That is another discussion. Successful migration countries such as the US, Canada, New Zealand and Australia have a very selective migration policy. They only allow those who have an added value. Europe will evolve in that direction. Migration is healthy and necessary, but only if it is properly managed.

A German report last week revealed that a surprisingly high percentage of recent asylum seekers from Syria, Iraq and Afghanistan had found work and did contribute to German society. Those newcomers are not all highly skilled engineers.

People who risk their lives to flee their country and travel to Europe are reasonably enterprising. [People who risk their lives to flee their country and travel to Europe are... wait for it... "reasonably enterprising". ]
    That is positive, but I think that Chancellor Angela Merkel is right to work out with such a positive migration story.

[He's either deliberately or ignorantly conflating migration with asylum. Pretty poor from someone who has overseen a terrible process of selecting individuals to ply their trade overseas].

According to you, Islam should be on the list of forbidden sects.

Certainly some tendencies. Belgium has known for years a list of banned and dangerous sects. Scientology is one of the better known names on the list. Do you remember many suicide attacks or attacks by Scientology supporters? Not me. Then I wonder why the extreme Islam is not there? There is definitely a problem. We made the mistake years ago of leaving Islam as a peace-loving religion in the naïve belief that it is an innocent religion, a variant of Catholicism, open-minded and endowed with peace-loving intentions. Unfortunately, we overlooked that some of the ideologies of Islam are not only a religion, but also an ideology with a dangerous political agenda.

[How can a right-thinking person, when challenged that they think Islam should be forbidden, start their answer with "certainly"? How can a right-thinking person call for the banning of a whole religion? Acts of terrorism share the common theme that they're perpetrated by terrorists. Banning Islam will not stop terrorism - even someone as furiously hard of thinking as Roland Duchatelet should know that]

Do you realize how polarizing that sounds?

In mosques and in some schools ideas are taught by Muslim teachers and imams that are not compatible with our laws and values. If we determine such a thing, the government must close that mosque and the imams will expel the country. We are too lax in that.

Muslims will feel insulted by your statements.

Undeserved. I have nothing against believing people, not even against Muslims, but they have to accept that our laws take precedence over their religious prescriptions. We have a harmonious society where everything is arranged fairly well. It is reasonably safe and prosperous here. So when Muslims come here, they have to realize that they are coming as guests, and it is customary for a guest to adapt to the culture of the host country.

Muslims of the second and third generation will not pick that up. They were born here. Why then label them as a guest?

They were born here, but they must know that their parents came in here as guests.

[To be clear, he's saying that people born in Belgium, to parents who migrated - legally - to Belgium, should be reminded of the fact and should not expect to be citizens]

So a guest worker, always a guest worker - or for two to three generations?

In real migration countries like Canada or New Zealand I would never say anything like that. There you are a full citizen as soon as you are admitted as a migrant after thorough screening. But the second and third generation in Belgium? How did their parents end up here? Because of the mismanagement of the then governments that almost everyone has admitted without any appreciable control. Not only Belgium is struggling with this. Adjusting that mismanagement is precisely what determines the political climate in Europe for a large part. This is also very strong in Germany.

[He's doubled-down on this here - you're not a "proper" citizen, if your grandparents migrated to Belgium]
  • Options
    cabbles said:

The biggest tool in football

I thought that was Dion Dublin?
  • Options
    Chizz your post started with questions in bold and answers in italics, but by the end they were the opposite.
  • Options
    Chizz said:

seth plum said:

I don't have the language skills, but I would like to know about his comments about foreigners and immigrants in a clear, accurate translation and unambiguous way.
    A little while ago he had three stratifications, northern Europeans, foreigners, and 'the Chinese' which alerted me to thinking he was a straightforward racist. If he is now digging out immigrants, and also digging out Islam it would be worth knowing what he says in a crystal clear form.
    It is bad enough that as a very peculiar individual he is involved with Charlton, but I want to know if he can be exposed as the clear evil racist he appears to be.
    Of course being a racist actually has appeal for some, maybe the inhabitants of the very white sleepy town of St Truiden especially. However Belgian born Romalu Lukaku recently tweeted that if he plays well be is reported as Belgian over there, but play badly he is heavily framed as being of Congalese descent.
    I know it wouldn't be at the level of the hunting down of Corbyn, but an exposure of the racist nature of our owner would gain traction in places hitherto unexploited. Malky McKay's stinking racism towards Vincent Tan had ripples beyond the world of football.

Hi @seth plum - here is the machine-translated section of his interview which contains his thoughts on migration. The bits in bold are the questions, the bits in italics are his answers (although there is a bit in brackets explaining shorting which may not be his words) and the bits in [square brackets] are some of my thoughts.

You recently made a striking analysis: 'For migrants, there are no more jobs that can bear taxes. Consequently, they can no longer have any economic added value. ' That sounds hard.

That is the result of the way politicians and the population think about the economy: the number of useful jobs that generate tax revenues will not rise any more. I am talking about jobs in the manufacturing industry. Not about jobs in health care and education, because they are actually subsidized by the productive jobs. A minister who creates jobs in health care or education works counterproductively in that logic because the others then have to pay more taxes.

[I can think of one migrant who failed to add value when she was moved from Belgium to the UK to run a football club, despite being woefully incapable. But that single anecdote shouldn't be taken to assume that migrants in general do not make a positive contribution to a country's economy]

Labor experts, however, say that we need to find migrants because there are too few candidates in our country for some jobs. That is a strong argument?

That is another discussion. Successful migration countries such as the US, Canada, New Zealand and Australia have a very selective migration policy. They only allow those who have an added value. Europe will evolve in that direction. Migration is healthy and necessary, but only if it is properly managed.

A German report last week revealed that a surprisingly high percentage of recent asylum seekers from Syria, Iraq and Afghanistan had found work and did contribute to German society. Those newcomers are not all highly skilled engineers.

People who risk their lives to flee their country and travel to Europe are reasonably enterprising. [People who risk their lives to flee their country and travel to Europe are... wait for it... "reasonably enterprising". ]
    That is positive, but I think that Chancellor Angela Merkel is right to work out with such a positive migration story.

[He's either deliberately or ignorantly conflating migration with asylum. Pretty poor from someone who has overseen a terrible process of selecting individuals to ply their trade overseas].

According to you, Islam should be on the list of forbidden sects.

Certainly some tendencies. Belgium has known for years a list of banned and dangerous sects. Scientology is one of the better known names on the list. Do you remember many suicide attacks or attacks by Scientology supporters? Not me. Then I wonder why the extreme Islam is not there? There is definitely a problem. We made the mistake years ago of leaving Islam as a peace-loving religion in the naïve belief that it is an innocent religion, a variant of Catholicism, open-minded and endowed with peace-loving intentions. Unfortunately, we overlooked that some of the ideologies of Islam are not only a religion, but also an ideology with a dangerous political agenda.

[How can a right-thinking person, when challenged that they think Islam should be forbidden, start their answer with "certainly"? How can a right-thinking person call for the banning of a whole religion? Acts of terrorism share the common theme that they're perpetrated by terrorists. Banning Islam will not stop terrorism - even someone as furiously hard of thinking as Roland Duchatelet should know that]

Do you realize how polarizing that sounds?

In mosques and in some schools ideas are taught by Muslim teachers and imams that are not compatible with our laws and values. If we determine such a thing, the government must close that mosque and the imams will expel the country. We are too lax in that.

Muslims will feel insulted by your statements.

Undeserved. I have nothing against believing people, not even against Muslims, but they have to accept that our laws take precedence over their religious prescriptions. We have a harmonious society where everything is arranged fairly well. It is reasonably safe and prosperous here. So when Muslims come here, they have to realize that they are coming as guests, and it is customary for a guest to adapt to the culture of the host country.

Muslims of the second and third generation will not pick that up. They were born here. Why then label them as a guest?

They were born here, but they must know that their parents came in here as guests.

[To be clear, he's saying that people born in Belgium, to parents who migrated - legally - to Belgium, should be reminded of the fact and should not expect to be citizens]

So a guest worker, always a guest worker - or for two to three generations?

In real migration countries like Canada or New Zealand I would never say anything like that. There you are a full citizen as soon as you are admitted as a migrant after thorough screening. But the second and third generation in Belgium? How did their parents end up here? Because of the mismanagement of the then governments that almost everyone has admitted without any appreciable control. Not only Belgium is struggling with this. Adjusting that mismanagement is precisely what determines the political climate in Europe for a large part. This is also very strong in Germany.

[He's doubled-down on this here - you're not a "proper" citizen, if your grandparents migrated to Belgium]
    Ergh. Twat
  • Options
    _MrDick said:

I'm not violent, but I want to smash the bastard in the nuts!!

Are you a midget?
    Not sure I articulated what part of my body I'd use to smash him in the nuts with?! You need to widen you're imagination, you'll find it quite rewarding! Tap into the 'unknown' area of your Johari Window :wink:

(And just so you sleep easy tonight, I'm 183cm - just to bamboozle you a little more :wink: )
  • Options

_MrDick said:

I'm not violent, but I want to smash the bastard in the nuts!!

Are you a midget?
    Not sure I articulated what part of my body I'd use to smash him in the nuts with?! You need to widen you're imagination, you'll find it quite rewarding! Tap into the 'unknown' area of your Johari Window :wink:

(And just so you sleep easy tonight, I'm 183cm - just to bamboozle you a little more :wink: )
    Wasn’t Johari Window a long term supporter/sponsor and reputable lister in the good old days?
    What happened to him? Did he ride off on his horse?
  • Options

I don't think it is necessarily racist to expect people to assimilate in some way. It is in the degree of assimilation expected of them which will tip you over one side or the other. We shouldn't expect people to change their religion or culture, as long as it doesn't fly in the face of our liberal values and laws around equality and justice. But where it does, there is a problem. And it is a difficult issue that people like Tommy Robinson seek to exploit.

It is not healthy when communities are created that exist within themselves and don't reach out and it is equally not healthy when they feel intimidated and attacked which can be a reason for not doing so although the natural pull of your own is also one. It can breed racism from both sides, whether they are poor and struggling so they are blamed with crime as this is where most crime stems from or because they are doing well as it it is at at our expense! I think there are many things you can point to where the assimilation of different cultures has enriched us. My best mate at secondary school was Nigerian. I think that benefited me personally. He was my mate and the colour of his skin was irrelevant. It wasn't irrelevant to my grandparents though. Not him being my mate, but their views of people of colour. That didn't make them bad people, they were brilliant people from a different time, but we underestimate how having a greater understanding of people from different cultures enriches us and makes us better people!

An example is we have a fantastic varied cuisine, which is exciting and an improvement on what we used to have. We can gain so much from embracing others, not pushing them aside, but it has to be a two way street!

I would say for 99.999% of people from 'immigrant stock' (as Duchatelet would say my son is) it is certainly a two way street. However the street is much more likely to have a roadblock at one end created by the racists than the immigrants.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Very true. And if people are not made to feel welcome, it is inevitable they become more insular. Blaming them only creates problems, but it can win you popularity!
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    I agree, there is a line he has crossed. What is sad is that people can cross it and not be called out for being racists - not just Roland. Islam is not a sect!I was trying to put down my thoughts on where that line might be! Sadly, you do have to think about it, which doesn't suit the way the world is at the moment!
  • Options
    Chizz said:

I don't think it is necessarily racist to expect people to assimilate in some way. It is in the degree of assimilation expected of them which will tip you over one side or the other. We shouldn't expect people to change their religion or culture, as long as it doesn't fly in the face of our liberal values and laws around equality and justice. But where it does, there is a problem. And it is a difficult issue that people like Tommy Robinson seek to exploit.

It is not healthy when communities are created that exist within themselves and don't reach out and it is equally not healthy when they feel intimidated and attacked which can be a reason for not doing so although the natural pull of your own is also one. It can breed racism from both sides, whether they are poor and struggling so they are blamed with crime as this is where most crime stems from or because they are doing well as it it is at at our expense! I think there are many things you can point to where the assimilation of different cultures has enriched us. My best mate at secondary school was Nigerian. I think that benefited me personally. He was my mate and the colour of his skin was irrelevant. It wasn't irrelevant to my grandparents though. Not him being my mate, but their views of people of colour. That didn't make them bad people, they were brilliant people from a different time, but we underestimate how having a greater understanding of people from different cultures enriches us and makes us better people!

An example is we have a fantastic varied cuisine, which is exciting and an improvement on what we used to have. We can gain so much from embracing others, not pushing them aside, but it has to be a two way street!

Your football club @MuttleyCAFC is owned by someone who doesn't share your grandparents' values. Your grandparents grew up in a different time. It's not really an excuse, but it goes some way to present their views.

His views are far worse and far more dangerous. Because Roland Duchatelet is an influential, rich, charismatic, businessman, entrepreneur and politician. He shouldn't use his platform to criticise immigrants. He shouldn't use his platform to call for the banning of a religion. He shouldn't call for mosques to be shut and imams deported. He shouldn't "other" people who are second or third generation immigrants in his country.

But if he does want to publicise those views, he should not be the "President" of a football club which has a long and proud tradition of fighting racism.

Do you know the difference between asylum and immigration? Of course you do! Does he? Well he either doesn't or is wishing to conflate the two for some reason.
    Well said
  • Options
    The Open VLD, your preferred party, is also not a big fan of the basic income.
    Guy Verhofstadt was in favour, but Alexander De Croo is against. The deep-blue electorate of the Open VLD, often self-employed people who find it difficult to find suitable personnel, shudder at the idea of handing out money. They fear that it will be even more difficult to find a working population.

Part 3: the generals and Tesla

You said recently in the newspaper De Tijd that you would certainly not vote for the N-VA because that party wants to buy expensive fighter planes. Surely the Liberals are of the same opinion on this? Would it not be better for you to vote for the SP.A?
    Duchâtelet: Note: I will never vote for the Socialists! (laughs) But equally: it is a colossal folly to buy fighter planes in this day and age. Last week, Russian television broadcast a documentary about the weapons that the Russian army is developing. They wanted to show that they were ready for the war of the future. There is no trace of manned planes in these plans. Air force becomes a business of missiles, satellites, lasers and drones. Logical as well. Why should you invent a flying weapon with a human being in it? This has only disadvantages. A human does not tolerate great acceleration, you have to provide him with oxygen, an ejector seat and a parachute. Even the best pilot does not see as well as the sensors in a drone.

Why does the Belgian Army command not see this? Generals are not idiots, are they?
    Duchâtelet: I wouldn't underestimate the idiocy of generals. History is full of examples, such as the forts around Antwerp that were meant to stop the German army during the First World War. They cost a huge amount of taxpayers' money but had no effect. Just before the outbreak of the Second World War, the Germans and Japanese built huge battleships made of thick steel. The Bismarck, the flagship of the German fleet, was sunk on its very first outing. So much for the vision of those 'smart' generals. They are usually a war too late.

Through your company Melexis you supply chips to Tesla, the electric car of the flamboyant Elon Musk. What do you think about his recent antics, such as the announcement that he wants to take Tesla off the stock exchange – or then maybe not?
    Duchâtelet: Tesla is one of the most shortened shares in Wall Street [Shorters speculate on a fall in price by selling borrowed shares and hope to buy them back later at a much lower price, ed]. I think Musk wanted to lure the shorteners through his tweet in which he announced that he had a deal to take his company off the stock exchange at a much higher price. It was stupid to say that the deal was done when it was not. Misleading stock market information, you can end up in prison for that.

What did you think of his emotional interview in The New York Times, in which he said he was overworked and overstressed?
    Duchâtelet: I think it was a rationally considered decision to justify his irrational message. He realises that he went too far with the announcement that his stock market exit was a done deal. By claiming a moment of weakness as an alleviating circumstance, he hopes to avoid possible sanctions. I never believe that he is really on the verge of burn-out. Someone who has gone as far as Elon Musk has can always find something.

Do you recognise yourself in the story of the lonely CEO who works 120 hours a week, has no time to celebrate his birthday, and is constantly awake at night because of his company?
    Duchâtelet: I am a peaceful sleeper. I know stress, but that is due to family circumstances. I can absorb company circumstances reasonably well.

Do you believe in the future of Tesla?
    Duchâtelet: Musk has the merit of putting the electric car on the market as a hot and sexy product. In our country, I know many managers with a Tesla, such as Marc Coucke. Nowadays you have to drive a Tesla if you want to be at the top of the business world in Belgium.

Why do you still drive around in a modest Citroën?
    Duchâtelet: I’m not so bothered about expensive cars, but I do follow the market and technology. If the big boys like BMW and Audi were to come up with their electric cars, then I would watch out, as would Elon Musk. Those German cars will be better than a Tesla, you shouldn't doubt that.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Ffs Roly, why did you have to comment on immigration
  • Options
    I am not suggesting this is the case, but would the abolition of regional governments benefit him in his business/political dealings?
  • Options
    Just wow ... and he is a person of influence?

I would be concerned if I lived in his area.
  • Options
    Yeah. Teaching is so easy it's a piece of resistance, which is why in even the toughest of economic time there is always a shortage and adverts for Teachers. Huh?
    My son, and his kids according to Duchatelet should always acknowledge that they exist here because the UK allowed his mother to arrive as a 'guest'.
    Yeah, he needs to know his place and exercise due deference.
  • Options
    He is a right weirdo. And a racist too. How would the EFL regard his views?
  • Options
    Disgusting old pervert

Perversions of cultural, political and sociological nature ad extremis.

You are full of rhetoric about being a socialist. In fact, any succesful society would not have you as a member.

look up failure in the dictionary and it says ro#$%d duwankalot.

Sad ugly old man. Enjoy your dying breaths
  • Options
    At least he admits that football was “a mistake.” He’s not wrong there.