Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Does Football have a gambling problem?

Only 5-minutes after Jon Richardson’s tweet...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcthree/article/b542778d-871f-4716-abfb-0afb91fa7770

Let’s get this ball rolling once Rolando has gone...

Comments

• Of course it does.
  • "It's more fun if there's money on it" - or some such shite.

That always annoyed me.
  • edited August 2018
    “When the fun stops, stop” seems to ignore that people with a gambling addictions aren’t doing it for the “fun” and by addiction’s very nature you can’t just “stop” because Ray Winstone or Jeff Stelling told you to seconds after offering you good odds on Aguero scoring next.

I wouldn’t necessarily say football has a gambling problem, but more a dependence on the income stream that has fairly recently appeared - presumably which is funded by a ton of personal nightmares.
  • Yep, not restricted to football however with how accessible gambling is now being a bookmaker has never been easier (2/1 @bobmunro puts me right!) previously the fear of looking a twat in a bookmakers kept a lot of people away from gambling, the bookies themselves did to be honest. They were shitty rooms filled with roll up smoke and desperation. The aspiration on the adverts of a group of mates all happy go lucky jumping all over each other and having accumalator insurance (get you 1.50 stake back if one leg let's you down) is bullshit.

That said, people can do what the fuck they want with their money. Thankfully as atrocious as gambler as I am I have never bet more than I can afford to lose which also means I never see any exciting returns when I do luck a win.

Lots of people enjoy gambling, I'm one of them on the rare occasion when I think I am more knowledgeable than I actually am with boxing I've done ok but also been taught the life lesson that bookies are not very often wrong. Good side is I haven't had to go in a bookmakers and see a labourer fresh from work pumping his shopping money into one of the machines, I can dick around with my phone and spunk 50 quid up the wall much easier on an app.

Of course there is the bad side, it's that easy
  • se9addick said:

When the fun stops, stop” seems to ignore that people with a gambling addictions aren’t doing it for the “fun” and by addiction’s very nature you can’t just “stop” because Ray Winstone or Jeff Stelling told you to seconds after offering you good odds on Aguero scoring next.

I wouldn’t necessarily say football has a gambling problem, but more a dependence on the income stream that has fairly recently appeared - presumably which is funded by a ton of personal nightmares.

A horrible insidious statement, because it places the blame for any funlessness together with any responsibility for action at the feet of the gambler, never questioning the role of the organisations who seek to bleed them dry.
  • It has a problem with too many Far East gambling sponsors which look like shit on football shirts.
  • Gambling needs more controls.

And more knowledgeable tipsters to assist the punters like @PeanutsMolloy - roll on his New Years posts.
  • Trying to get people to gamble by coming out with bullshit Transfer Rumours on Sky Sports is definitely one area where its a joke - Same with BetVictor when they tried to claim Matt Gooden was about to sign for Charlton that year seeing they'd started the rumour he'd been seen in the area
  • To answer the original question.
    Not more or less than any other profession or section of society I’d say.
    Though footballers in general do have a more than average disposable income than most as well as higher public profiles, which in turn the media pick up on for any kind of perceived weaknesses in their character......excessive gambling being just one of them.
  • Sponsored links:

• Britain's biggest gambling companies have voluntarily agreed to a "whistle-to-whistle" television advertising ban.

The Remote Gambling Association (RGA), which includes Bet365, Ladbrokes and Paddy Power, has struck a deal to stop adverts during live sports broadcasts.

It follows political pressure about the amount of betting advertising on TV.

More than 90 minutes of adverts were shown during the football World Cup and anti-gambling campaigners say sport's use of adverts "normalises" betting.

There are also fears it contributes to the rise in the amount of problem gamblers - with a Gambling Commission report suggesting 430,000 Britons can be described as such - and helps fuel under-age gambling.

The deal follows extensive talks between firms - also including SkyBet, Betfred, Betfair, Stan James, Gala Coral and William Hill - to ensure no adverts will be broadcast for a defined period before and after a game is broadcast.

The proposal is similar to those made by the Labour party and, importantly, will include any game that starts prior to the 9pm watershed but ends after that time.

The RGA has previously said it was "very mindful of public concerns".

Horse racing will be exempt from the restrictions - given the commercial importance of gambling on its viability - but all other sports will be included.

However, it is the impact on football where the ban will be felt the most, especially given the financial value of the sport to both the gambling companies and broadcasters.

Nearly 60% of clubs in England's top two divisions have gambling companies as shirt sponsors.

Final ratification is needed from the Industry Group for Responsible Gambling (IGRG) before the ban comes into force.

That should be a formality, according to industry insiders, and could come as early as this month or in early 2019.

About time, i have always thought its wrong to show gambling during a match to encourage people to bet. Its marketing genius but when it comes to gambling so many people are drawn in far too easy, not that an advert on tv would necessarily have that reaction for me, although my mate who has had major gambling problems it must be hard and must get so many people to just put £5 on here...

At least its a start
  • They'll just increase notifications on your mobile instead...
  • WSS said:

They'll just increase notifications on your mobile instead...

I know, I keep telling Bob to stop texting me during games but he won't stop : - )
  • they already pretty much sponsor ever team, so they're names are all out there which makes it not too big a deal for them. Though it wouldn't surprise me if those electronic advertising boards come up with the latest odds anyway.
  • Excellent question and it is more real and true then we might recognise.

I've stopped betting. It was only because of an accident I had.

Just meant that it no longer really meant anything to me.

Go back 7 months though. I had a problem.

It was

"desperation"

"I NEED MORE money...TODAY"

"I know football very well. Instinct is my best friend"

"Remember when I won £300 2 weeks straight via the sky bet app!. I'm a genius"

"I'm always SO SO CLOSE to earning a grand every week via accumators"

"Put a "cheeky" (cringe) "tenner", on it"

If you say those kind of things to yourself.

My advice.

You MUST do this

Delete betting apps.

Just return to enjoying football for what it is.

Do not end up in a position where you would prefer your bet to come through mo so then Charlton getting 3 points.

Do what I say.

I promise you will not regret it a d you will not look back.

Just enjoy football because YOU LIKE FOOTBALL.

If that is no longer the case, then get into something else.

With respect.

• edited December 2018
    Dave2l said:

Excellent question and it is more real and true then we might recognise.

It was

"desperation"

My advice.

You MUST do this

Delete betting apps.

Do not end up in a position where you would prefer your bet to come through mo so then Charlton getting 3 points.

Do what I say.

With respect.

Great advice there!

Here is the argument, personally i bet most weeks but never beyond my means. If i lose a bet it never affects me on a personal level other then 'oooh close one this week', naturally alot of people will chase loses or sometimes bet in order to get money when they are struggling (my sister is a classic example on the online bingo) , people who do that should not bet at all. - Basically there is alot of people who gamble within their means, but for every person , there is likely someone who doesn't.

I can personally afford to lose £10-20 a week no problem, i have done ok this year and last but generally i lose at betting long term but its fine it doesn't affect me.

I used to play poker pretty much every day of the week and again i would mainly play with winnings so no matter what stake it didn't really affect me, ok there is a rush to gambling but for me its more the competitive nature of it eg. poker - winning, betting accumulators + footy is pretty much always a bit of fun but its a lottery and you should always be thinking ' I have bet £20 this week, thats money lost' even the biggest banker just doesn't happen. I dont really play poker anymore (think last time was a few months ago where i won $800), thats more down to my time and not money.

PS- i know for a fact if i put money on poker rather then footy, i would win long term always. I have always won at poker and made several withdrawals, just it takes alot more time/ effort then putting a simple bet on. i used to average about £3k most years profit and still when i play i win more than i lose and withdraw
  • I think this is a good start. Opinion about betting and how it promotes itself is developing. I expect that over time there will be more and more change that restricts betting companies behaviour.
    Which is a good thing.
  • No, you have a gambling problem. Anyway, it's not a problem, I'm only betting what I can afford to lose. Shut up.
  • Dave2l said:

Excellent question and it is more real and true then we might recognise.

It was

"desperation"

My advice.

You MUST do this

Delete betting apps.

Do what I say.

With respect.

Great advice there!

Here is the argument, personally i bet most weeks but never beyond my means. If i lose a bet it never affects me on a personal level other then 'oooh close one this week', naturally alot of people will chase loses or sometimes bet in order to get money when they are struggling (my sister is a classic example on the online bingo) , people who do that should not bet at all. - Basically there is alot of people who gamble within their means, but for every person , there is likely someone who doesn't.

I can personally afford to lose £10-20 a week no problem, i have done ok this year and last but generally i lose at betting long term but its fine it doesn't affect me.

I used to play poker pretty much every day of the week and again i would mainly play with winnings so no matter what stake it didn't really affect me, ok there is a rush to gambling but for me its more the competitive nature of it eg. poker - winning, betting accumulators + footy is pretty much always a bit of fun but its a lottery and you should always be thinking ' I have bet £20 this week, thats money lost' even the biggest banker just doesn't happen. I dont really play poker anymore (think last time was a few months ago where i won $800), thats more down to my time and not money.

PS- i know for a fact if i put money on poker rather then footy, i would win long term always. I have always won at poker and made several withdrawals, just it takes alot more time/ effort then putting a simple bet on. i used to average about £3k most years profit and still when i play i win more than i lose and withdraw
    Spot on. At least you are a sensible gambler.
    It is just recreational and it doesn't effect you.

The real world is a lot better then the

"oh yes it is Saturday ...I might get a must needed couple of grand today!"

The real world is tough. It is hard.

But stick with it. Work at it.

It is so much better.

We all want better lives. We all want more cash. We all want better jobs. All want to be out in the sun. To be rich. To have an adventure. To have our favourite admirers of the opposite sex thinking we are the greatest thing in the world (maybe a bit unnecessary saying that)

I don't have kids, but I assume we all want to give them the best chances too.

It is better to just work for money.

If you are a severe gambler. I think it might be a sign of loneliness and it is a possibility of depression. It's not the real world. You could be rich, you could be poor.

It is throwing everything away.

It is also mostly very much a male thing.

It is a locked in addiction.

I should help myself more. I'm vunerable with it too.

Just organise your finances better. Play it straight. Work hard. Take the pain of unfortunate "relatively".

It will disappear

Get a good old classic Charlton book.

Give yourself more time. Do the things you enjoy.

Fall in love with life again.

Delete social media (unless it's necessary for your working life)

Hope Roland leaves and maybe get a season ticket.

Excersise.

Maybe ...if needed, pay that £40 pH or whatever for a psychotherapist.

Fuck money.

• Sponsored links:

• WSS said:

They'll just increase notifications on your mobile instead...

I know, I keep telling Bob to stop texting me during games but he won't stop : - )
    Yes, but you never reply!
  • Bolton Wanderers Football Club has said it will no longer provide facilities for online betting at its stadium.

The League One club also said it would not sign any new sponsorship deals with gambling firms, but it would respect existing commercial partnerships.

The club's chief executive Neil Hart said: "We will not take part in any activity to promote gambling outside the existing EFL [English Football League] contractual requirements."

"This means we will not provide match day betting kiosks or enter into any new agreements with gambling companies."

He added it would continue with its club lottery as the fundraising income supported "good causes and supporter engagement projects".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-58672469

• we could be getting a ban on gambling companies sponsoring shirts, starting with closing the loophole that currently allows foreign companies to sponsor English and Scottish teams

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/sep/23/government-could-ban-foreign-betting-firms-from-sponsoring-uk-football-shirts 
  • we could be getting a ban on gambling companies sponsoring shirts, starting with closing the loophole that currently allows foreign companies to sponsor English and Scottish teams

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/sep/23/government-could-ban-foreign-betting-firms-from-sponsoring-uk-football-shirts 
    Step in the right direction 
  • Yeah I do, I keep losing on the fixed odds
  • There is a tension between gambling and freedom of choice, and in between those two forces the gambling industry gets very very rich, and people’s lives can get destroyed.
  • I'll be interested to know how many people on here and in the UK in general have ever used the betting companies on the front of a lot of the shirts. 

Hollywood Bets
    Spreadex Sports
    W88
    ManbetX
    SBOTOP
    Fun88
    Sportsbet.io
    Stake.com
    Betway

Are the 9 companies currently sponsoring Premier League teams that will be affected.

Of the lot, I think I've used Betway a couple of times, but the rest I haven't heard of save for being on the shirts
  • sam3110 said:
    I'll be interested to know how many people on here and in the UK in general have ever used the betting companies on the front of a lot of the shirts. 

Hollywood Bets
    Spreadex Sports
    W88
    ManbetX
    SBOTOP
    Fun88
    Sportsbet.io
    Stake.com
    Betway

Are the 9 companies currently sponsoring Premier League teams that will be affected.

Of the lot, I think I've used Betway a couple of times, but the rest I haven't heard of save for being on the shirts
    zero for me I think.

I'll sometimes stick a bet on if I'm watching the game/race/fight but that'll be in the bookies itself so usually a William hill/Ladbrokes 
  • edited September 2021
    To be honest apart from Betway who I know sponsor West Ham as I saw a picture just now. I couldn’t tell you who sponsors who anymore. 
    I used to boycott certain companies due to their choice of team to sponsor but now I couldn’t tell you who sponsors who as I rarely  watch any other football other than Charlton 
    I couldn’t tell you who have sponsored anyone of our opponents to date so far  this season.