Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Future of England - Watchtower

Phil Foden got a massive 9 minutes against giants Huddersfield at home for Man City yesterday.

Loftus-Cheek was dropped from the Chelsea squad for loanee Kovacic. (Disgrace, if you ask me.)

James Maddison got 82 minutes for Leicester, scored and picked up MOTM.

Sessegnon picked up an assist and played the full 90 for Fulham.

Mason Mount played 90 minutes on loan for Derby.

Jadon Sancho's Borussia Dortmind will play their first game tomorrow.

Ademola Lookman was a non-used sub for Everton. RB Leipzig have improved their bid to 22 million.

Comments

• edited August 2018
    I watched Maddison at Leicester on Saturday against a very quick and slick Wolves midfield .. he could be the answer to the lack of craft and all round ability in England's midfield, he had a terrific game as he did against Man U the previous week ..
    I am hoping that like (e.g.) Jack Wilshire he does not turn out to be another briefly shooting star
  • Phil Foden is a huge talent who will get minutes this season because City didn’t get Jorginho or anyone else in CM. But you can’t expect him to get too many games for a Club looking to win the title yet.

I still think Lookman will go
  • Foden should hopefully benefit from de Bruyne being out for three months

Its a shame he didnt get more than 8mins yesterday - Man City had the three points by Half-Time
  • You've left Ross Barkley out there. He's been around forever it feels like but he's only 24 and he looked pretty decent against Arsenal. His biggest problem in that match was that he seemed to be on a different wavelength to the rest of his teammates and they couldn't keep up with him when he broke through the lines. He'll have to do it consistently but it would be great if Barkley started showing some of the potential he showed when he first broke through again.

I think Loftus-Cheek just isn't going to fit into Sarri's style of play which is a real shame for him
  • edited August 2018

You've left Ross Barkley out there. He's been around forever it feels like but he's only 24 and he looked pretty decent against Arsenal. His biggest problem in that match was that he seemed to be on a different wavelength to the rest of his teammates and they couldn't keep up with him when he broke through the lines. He'll have to do it consistently but it would be great if Barkley started showing some of the potential he showed when he first broke through again.

I think Loftus-Cheek just isn't going to fit into Sarri's style of play which is a real shame for him

At 24 he could easily be part of the current England setup and has been out of the youth teams for years. Agree he is technically still a 'prospect' (shall we call him a Lisbie?). Was mostly thinking about the kids who came up and won trophies as part of the golden youth. Did also think he looked good against Arsenal, hope he can stay in the team.
  • Foden will benefit from being coached by Pep, who will take his time with him, and get him into the team the right way, not rushed and then ending up like Wiltshire
  • still want to know how this fits in with the JW ........are they the new "mystery" bidders ??
  • Jehovah Witnesses called round Saturday morning funnily enough. They left without fuss when I pointed out 'Thou Shalt Not Kill' was at odds with their leather shoes.
  • still want to know how this fits in with the JW ........are they the new "mystery" bidders ??

Isn't Saturday their Sabbath day? Perhaps it's a nod to young English players having a day off because, sadly, their clubs don't play them.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited August 2018

You've left Ross Barkley out there. He's been around forever it feels like but he's only 24 and he looked pretty decent against Arsenal. His biggest problem in that match was that he seemed to be on a different wavelength to the rest of his teammates and they couldn't keep up with him when he broke through the lines. He'll have to do it consistently but it would be great if Barkley started showing some of the potential he showed when he first broke through again.

barkley is such a luxury player, really disappointing he hasnt pushed on yet, but great that there's a lot of other talent starting to get through. I'd love for foden to replace de bruyne as the city playmaker, but i think that wont happen for a few seasons yet, if foden's patient enough and pep stays there for that long.
  • edited August 2018
    cafc-west said:

And the connection to Jehovah's Witnesses is .... ?

still want to know how this fits in with the JW ........are they the new "mystery" bidders ??

What was Bob Dylan singing about? This is going to get very confusing
  • Chunes said:

cafc-west said:

still want to know how this fits in with the JW ........are they the new "mystery" bidders ??

There must be some kind of way outta here
    Said the joker to the thief
    There's too much confusion
    I can't get no relief

clearly all about Charlton
  • No reason to get excited...

• "There are many here among us
    Who feel that our owner is but a joke"

• Foden is only 18, it's unrealistic for him to be playing too many minutes this season. Lapslie by comparison is 21 in September and only just breaking through
  • Well we're going to need a new Striker now for England seeing that Jamie Vardy has retired from International Duty
  • cafc-west said:

Coming to a train station near you , which is ideal for us Charlton trainspotters
  • edited August 2018
    Love a bit of Hendrix;

"There must be some way out of here,"
    Said the joker to the thief,
    "There's too much confusion, I can't get no relief,
    Businessmen, they drink my wine, plough men dig my earth,
    None of them along the line know what any of it is worth"
    "No reason to get excited," the thief, he kindly spoke,
    "There are many here among us now,
    Who feel that life is but a joke,
    But you and I, we've been through that, and this is not our fate,
    So let us not talk falsely now, the hour is getting late"
    All along the Watchtower, Princes kept the view,
    While all the women came and went, barefoot servants too,
    Outside in the distance a wildcat did growl,
    Two riders were approaching, the wind began to howl
    "There must be some way out of here,"
    "There must be some way out of here"
  • Sponsored links:

• Well we're going to need a new Striker now for England seeing that Jamie Vardy has retired from International Duty

Gary Cahill also retired
  • Thought Vardy has shown a lot of class in his decision and thinking

Gary Cahill also retired
    Dont blame Cahill as there are a good few Centre-Backs coming through ahead of him, as he saw at the World Cup I think it'll be impossible for him to get back into the England squad even if he didnt retire

At least this way he gets to do it in a dignified way and on his terms
  • Vardy still has a future as an international, and an easy names to put in a squad, but he’s thinking longer term, and not blocking the routes for the kids coming through
  • Rothko said:

Vardy still has a future as an international, and an easy names to put in a squad, but he’s thinking longer term, and not blocking the routes for the kids coming through

Even if he didnt announce this I dont think he's blocking the route for kids as there arent any really coming through

Both Solanke and Abrahams were highly rated at Chelsea yet neither have really started their Premier League careers too well with Liverpool and loan moves, whilst Brewster is injured for Liverpool and shows no sign of getting his debut

Sessegnon | Lookman | Sancho are the usual three to be mentioned yet see them more in the Sterling type role rather than the Kane type role (as we'd need someone to fill it if he got a nasty injury) - Certainly dont try and suggest Calvert-Lewin who I really dont rate
  • Chunes said:

cafc-west said:

There must be some kind of way outta here
    Said the joker to the thief
    There's too much confusion
    I can't get no relief

clearly all about Charlton
    Not some castle made of sand?
  • On the whole Kovacic getting picked over Loftus-Cheek, Kovacic is a really, really good player who has won the Champions League three times and La Liga once, and has 46 Croatia caps despite being only a couple years older than RLC.

I think RLC has the potential to be a good player, but he's not anywhere near Kovacic's class at the moment.
  • Rothko said:

Vardy still has a future as an international, and an easy names to put in a squad, but he’s thinking longer term, and not blocking the routes for the kids coming through

Even if he didnt announce this I dont think he's blocking the route for kids as there arent any really coming through

Both Solanke and Abrahams were highly rated at Chelsea yet neither have really started their Premier League careers too well with Liverpool and loan moves, whilst Brewster is injured for Liverpool and shows no sign of getting his debut

Sessegnon | Lookman | Sancho are the usual three to be mentioned yet see them more in the Sterling type role rather than the Kane type role (as we'd need someone to fill it if he got a nasty injury) - Certainly dont try and suggest Calvert-Lewin who I really dont rate
    Sancho came on at the weekend and had a lovely assist for Reus' goal. He's still raw, but you can really see what he's capable of in flashes. He showed it more and more as the season went on last year and he has such a tremendous amount of ability.

Really hope Lookie gets his move to Leipzig. Rangnick is a good coach who is good at fostering young talent. I think Lookman would play with some regularity there. Why Everton don't seem to fancy him is absolutely beyond me, but I hope they shut up and let him go.
  • Seems that Hoffenheim are trying to sign Reiss Nelson who will be out of contract next summer... Be another good England prospect to leave a big club (Arsenal) for further football - I wonder when the penny will drop for the clubs that are just stock piling talent