Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

ACCRINGTON 1 CHARLTON 1 - 18th August 2018

ACCRINGTON 1 (Clark 78) CHARLTON 1 (Grant 15)

Attendance 2,265 (678 Charlton)

Accrington Ripley, Johnson, Hughes, Richards-Everton (Anderton 71), Clark, Brown, McConville, Finley, Sykes, Conneely (c), Kee (Zanzala 54).

Charlton Phillips, Solly (c), Bauer, Bielik (Maloney 90), Sarr, Page, Lapslie (Marshall 74), Pratley, Aribo, Taylor, Grant.

Summary

Charlton picked up their first away point of the season, but having led for so much of the game it felt like two points dropped. Grant opened the scoring for the Addicks, netting with his head for the second consecutive game. But it wasn't enough to secure the victory with Stanley equalising with 12 mins to go.

Post Match comments

Bowyer: "It wasn’t good enough. We missed too many chances and a point just isn’t good enough. The decision-making at times was horrendous and that’s what it boils down to, it isn’t good enough. For the players we had out there, that result is not acceptable. No disrespect to Accrington, I thought they did well, especially in the second half. But coming here and only getting one point isn’t good enough.”

“We were sloppy in possession. Our passing was OK at times, but what I’m witnessing at the training ground every day is not what we’ve just seen today. I told them it was unacceptable because they work hard all week for a reason. We tell them things to get them into certain areas, but we can’t make them make the right decision in the final third – that’s something that I can’t control – and that’s what let us down today.”

“We’ve got to start killing games off. Sunderland was the same and then we go and lose it. Last weekend was the same, although we snatched the win. There are times when we are outplaying teams and we look good, but there are other times when we seem to drop deep and invite pressure. Teams play long balls, it’s what a lot of teams in this division do. It’s not going to be a pretty football match all the time and today just wasn’t good enough.”

STATBANK Player Marks

Pratley = 6.88
Grant = 6.83
Phillips = 6.45
Aribo = 6.38
Lapslie = 6.38
Page = 6.31
Sarr = 6.17
Bauer = 6.14
Taylor = 6.05
Bielik = 5.95
Solly = 5.90

Team Average = 6.31

At The Game....

@RedChaser : Tidy little stadium only open on three sides at the moment and uncovered away end but luckily the weather was kind to us.

We lined up 3-5-2 with Sarr, Bauer and Bielik across the back from left to right. Page and Solly were pushed on Pratley was central with Aribo and Lapslie either side of him. Taylor and Grant up top. A good start from us with plenty of possession but little incisive play going forward until a good interception by Sarr to send Page away and cross for Grant to score off the crossbar which the ref gave eventually. Stanley were quite physical and got away with far too much for my liking from a very lenient ref and to cap it all one of our players was booked first. Apart from one save low down from a fierce cross shot which Phillips palmed out worryingly towards the penalty spot, neither keeper had much to do. We got to half time with our noses in front looking favourites to either get a second or see out the game for 3 points.

Alas this was not to be. Grant looked the more of a threat than Taylor who seemed more intent on getting two falls or a submission over his opponent than playing the ball and creating something for himself. Unfortunately with confidence for a striker comes, greediness and the former having done all the hard work should have pulled the ball back for Taylor to slot home instead of trying to squeeze the ball in through the eye of a needle. The midfield had worked tirelessly with flashes of brilliance from Aribo who drifts in and out of the action but seemed to find a second wind after half time. Lapslie grafts non stop and took a few heavy challenges for his efforts and was subbed late on by Marshall about whose cameo the less said the better. Pratley was everything we've been lacking with his guile and physicality (my MOM). Bielik had a good debut looks comfortable on the ball and was pushed up from one of three CBs to DM in what looked like a diamond to me after HT and again he did well there. Not surprisingly fatigue got the better of our new signing and having received treatment for cramp he was replaced by Maloney.

Just when we thought we would hold out for all three points in a fairly dreary game Stanley seemed to get stronger as we flagged the later the game went on. They helped themselves to a late equaliser with a swift break from the half way line which despite Phillips great save from the first effort couldn't do anything about the return shot. Final action of the game was a free kick 20 yards out which Grant bent round the wall clipping a post but it was spoils shared.

Two points dropped and quite rightly an unhappy Caretaker Manager with our decision making in the final third and failure yet again to keep a clean sheet late on.

Matchday Links

Preview
Match Thread
Post Match Views
Player Marks Thread
Statbank

Return to 2018/19 fixtures HERE

(Photo credit: Kyle Andrews)

Comments