Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Karl Robinson (Ed. Page 79 - GONE- Mutual Consent)

Comments

• Criticism is justified but ....

He improved things for a time. We had some good performances under him early on.

He made a couple of decent signings.

He lost the plot.

End of.

All the ‘I always said he was rubbish’ posts are bull. Try reading the match reports. I can pretty well guarantee you weren’t saying it ‘right from the start’, or even near it.

Hang your heads in abject shame you revisionist charlatans ;-)
  • One trick smaller than a pony man. End of.
  • JamesSeed said:

Criticism is justified but ....

He improved things for a time. We had some good performances under him early on.

He lost the plot.

End of.

All the ‘I always said he was rubbish’ posts are bull. Try reading the match reports. I can pretty well guarantee you weren’t saying it ‘right from the start’, or even near it.

If you are saying revisionist...

We did not have some good performances under him early on.

He joined in November with the task of giving us promotion. We were just outside the play-offs.

Performances, and more importantly, results, were poor from the off and we were flirting with relegation before some late wins v mostly poor sides.

When then started the next season well although we were not really pushing for automatic promotion.

Injuries to Fosu and, critically, Clarke plus Robinson's refusal to change tactics led to a swift decline which culminated in his unprofessional attempts to get himself sacked rather than resign.

The immediate upturn in results when he left was plain to see.
    It was more a question of my not having featured in the Argument Thread for ages ;-)

But I just think people should remember the timeline. By the time of your Bromley meeting the mood was very upbeat. And it was a very well attended meeting.

And check out the positive match review threads before it went tits up. It’s just dumb to say things were always terrible when they weren’t. It dilutes the genuinely deserved criticisms, some of which you highlighted in your post above.
  • JamesSeed said:

JamesSeed said:

Criticism is justified but ....

He lost the plot.

End of.

If you are saying revisionist...

We did not have some good performances under him early on.

He joined in November with the task of giving us promotion. We were just outside the play-offs.

Performances, and more importantly, results, were poor from the off and we were flirting with relegation before some late wins v mostly poor sides.

When then started the next season well although we were not really pushing for automatic promotion.

Injuries to Fosu and, critically, Clarke plus Robinson's refusal to change tactics led to a swift decline which culminated in his unprofessional attempts to get himself sacked rather than resign.

The immediate upturn in results when he left was plain to see.
    It was more a question of my not having featured in the Argument Thread for ages ;-)

But I just think people should remember the timeline. By the time of your Bromley meeting the mood was very upbeat. And it was a very well attended meeting.

And check out the positive match review threads before it went tits up. It’s just dumb to say things were always terrible when they weren’t. It dilutes the genuinely deserved criticisms, some of which you highlighted in your post above.
    But it is you being revisionist

Managers have always had similar sized turn outs at Bromley Addicks and we'll get similar on 6 September.

Robinson did not start well

I didn't say it was always terrible but there was only a short period (12 games approximately) when it was even good and in that spell we lost to Gillingham.
    I know you didn’t, I wasn’t arguing with you, but with those who claim it always was.

What I meant by the size of the Bromley turn out was that there was only one vaguely critical question, and it wasn’t like there was just a small crowd of acolytes there.

His ‘12 game period’ wasn’t nearly long enough to get us where we needed to be. Yes he was unlucky that Fosu was injured, and the squad didn’t have the depth to cope, but he allowed the mood to become negative and as the performances dropped away he didn’t have a clue how to fix that, whatever you say in his defence ;-)
  • Likeable bloke, but a tad clueless when he has to figure things out. Like a rhinoceros trying to do a 5000 piece jigsaw.
  • I’m wondering if he might come back to Charlton as Lee Bowyers number two.....
  • Sponsored links:

• I’m wondering if he might come back to Charlton as Lee Bowyers number two.....

Fortunately, Lee Bowyer has already got a number 2.

And he's said, he feels they work well together.

That would be a crap idea.
  • Turned out he wasn't a very good manager, but he cared for the club and i never personally got people on here calling him cnut this and fat scouse gobshite while he boss here.

He cared for the job the club meant just a decent wage.
  • Oggy Red said:

I’m wondering if he might come back to Charlton as Lee Bowyers number two.....

Didnt someone say that Robinson ignored Bowyer or Jackson whenever they tried offering advice?
  • Oggy Red said:

I’m wondering if he might come back to Charlton as Lee Bowyers number two.....

Didnt someone say that Robinson ignored Bowyer or Jackson whenever they tried offering advice?
    No idea. But by all accounts so far, Bowyer and Jacko work well together.
  • Turned out he wasn't a very good manager, but he cared for the club and i never personally got people on here calling him cnut this and fat scouse gobshite while he boss here.

That’s where I stand on him. Think the personal abuse is over the top but we are definitely better off without him.

He was a shit manager.
    End of
  • Wasn't he the sign that RD had started listening to fans. Oh no, that was Russell Grant Brand Slade. The fact that he signed a second Ingerlish manager on the trot was definite sign that things were set to improve.
  • Sponsored links:

• Thought Robinson was an OK League One manager. Limited, but, on balance OK and he had achieved promotion from that level previously.

For me, since the January 2014 change of ownership our best managers have been Bowyer and Jackson (not too many games yet to assess them on but based solely on the late burst that got us to the play-offs) followed by Riga and Luzon (notwithstanding both of them having periods where they couldn't get results)...our most average Peeters and Slade....and our worst by some distance Fraeye. I'd put Robinson in that list slightly above Peeters/Slade.
  • He talked a good game and will eventually end up as a pundit on talk sport ... as a manager he is poor and tactically inept ( that’s being polite) -
  • Lighten up l
    jdsd42 said:

He talked a good game and will eventually end up as a pundit on talk sport ... as a manager he is poor and tactically inept ( that’s being polite) -

Certainly talks a good game, and certainly talksport is an option, the only problem is I’m not sure they’d have enough airtime for him too get his thoughts across.
  • Riga was ok. Slade, Fraeye, Peeters, Robinson and Luzon all shit.
  • Perhaps he should trying be a little bit more diplomatic and he may get a break !!

You reap what you sow - he will do well at oxford next year in Div 2
  • Poor old Karl. Absolutely vilified for being a tad over enthusiastic, wanting to do well with us while putting everything he had into the job. Granted, it didn’t work out but fuck me give the bloke a break.

Totally in agreement here.

• Talks a good game and quite charismatic in some ways but once his favoured formation fails he is like a fish floundering out of water.

A media career may beckon but the only way he can hope to stay in football is to develop flexibility and adaptability to changing game situations. He palpably lacked that ability at Charlton and that was what did for him.