Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Leon Best

Does anyone know what happened to Leon Best? I took a shine to him and thought he looked lively, direct, and quite skilful. Real shame he picked up such a nasty injury at a ‘last chance saloon’ time in his career.
Hope he’s doing ok.

Comments

• I think he is still rehabing with the club
  • Decent journeyman pro. Did ok at Coventry and Newcastle (roughly a goal ever four games), but found his scoring touch at Yeovil (10 in 15).

Leon Julian Brendan Best (born 19 September 1986) is a professional footballer who plays as a striker. He is currently a free agent. He has played for the Republic of Ireland national football team. Best represented Ireland at under-21 level and won his first full international cap against Nigeria on 29 May 2009. Best had a youth career at Notts County. His first professional club was then Premier League club Southampton. He has also played for Coventry City and Newcastle United before his 2012 move to Blackburn Rovers.

2004–2007 Southampton
    15 (4)
    2004–2005 → Queens Park Rangers (loan)
    5 (0)
    2005 → Sheffield Wednesday (loan)
    2 (1)
    2006 → Sheffield Wednesday (loan)
    11(1)
    2006 → Bournemouth (loan)
    15 (3)
    2006–2007 → Yeovil Town (loan)
    15 (10)
    2007–2010 Coventry City
    92 (19)
    2010–2012 Newcastle United
    42 (10)
    2012–2015 Blackburn Rovers
    13 (2)
    2014 → Sheffield Wednesday (loan)
    15 (4)
    2014–2015 → Derby County (loan)
    15 (0)
    2015 → Brighton & Hove Albion (loan)
    13 (0)
    2015–2016 Rotherham United
    16 (4)
    2016–2017 Ipswich Town
    11 (0)
    2017–2018 Charlton Athletic
    5 (0)
    Didn’t play many minutes for us, but often looked like scoring.
  • Good article in FLP today. Says he will start running in a few weeks. Would be nice if we offered him training facilities and the carrott of a contract. Would be useful to come off the bench.

Good news.
  • It was a torn groin right? I think it was predicted that he would be out about a year. And if he's due to start running in a few weeks that timeline would sink up.

Definitely think he would have a part to play in this squad. I hope we give him use of the training facilities to rehab if nothing else than because it's the right thing to do. Could see him doing something similar to what he did last year which is training with us for a while recovering from an injury/not playing, then looking to try to secure another short term contract. That said I wouldn't expect him to be anywhere near ready until November/December.
  • SDAddick said:

It was a torn groin right? I think it was predicted that he would be out about a year. And if he's due to start running in a few weeks that timeline would sink up.

Definitely think he would have a part to play in this squad. I hope we give him use of the training facilities to rehab if nothing else than because it's the right thing to do. Could see him doing something similar to what he did last year which is training with us for a while recovering from an injury/not playing, then looking to try to secure another short term contract. That said I wouldn't expect him to be anywhere near ready until November/December.

Ready for the promotion run-in in the new year :smiley:
  • edited August 2018
    SDAddick said:

It was a torn groin right? I think it was predicted that he would be out about a year. And if he's due to start running in a few weeks that timeline would sink up.

‘Sync’ up, SDA old bean.

Apologies for pedantry.

There was definitely something about Best that looked promising. Was it just a couple of games he played?
  • Heard he’s was training as an estate agent in Medway
  • Gumbo said:

Heard he’s was training as an estate agent in Medway

Fake news. No-one trains to be an estate agent. You just need a flash suit and be able to talk bollocks and you're in business.
    Now you tell me. I can talk bollocks to gold medal level.
  • Sponsored links:

• He had an abcess on his groin prior to joining us which he played through. Sounded horrendous, must he a hard bloke. With us he did a knee ligament. Hope we parted on friendly terms.
  • Leon Best has scored four goals in the last four years, during which time he failed to score in spells at Derby (15 games), Brighton (13), and Ipswich (11). He scored once in his five games for us - an own goal. Surely we can do better.
  • Gumbo said:

Heard he’s was training as an estate agent in Medway

Fake news. No-one trains to be an estate agent. You just need a flash suit and be able to talk bollocks and you're in business.
    So Karl Robinsons next job is sorted
    In a flash suit? No chance
  • I thought he left us years ago. Am I getting him mixed up with another Leon?
  • Oh yeh. Clarke. As you were.
  • FFS DO NOT TELL ROLAND...
  • I thought he was improving with every game he played for us last season, so i think there is a useful first div striker in him if he get's fit.
    let him train with us - nothing to loose.
  • edited August 2018
    VF as I said he was playing despite carrying a serious injury. Not surprising he had a lean spell. Looked decent for us. We are shopping in Poundsavers. Sign a guy who has scored in the Prem or play a kid with no senior goals? Toughie!