Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

You win the £88 million jackpot...

What do you spend it on?

Comments

• Greenie said:

Coke n Tarts.

Different order but not dissimilar!
  • Pay off my debts, buy a new car and have a few good holidays.

• Dazzler21 said:

I have had a long think about this, it may be boring but:

1. I would buy a large plot of land in the country but near enough to home. About £1m
    2. I would have a house built on that plot of land. About £2m
    3. I would buy a Dodge Viper and a Tesla.About £120k
    4. I'd also take my family on a massive holiday. About £30k
    5. I'd put £10m into an account for my daughter that pays out on my death. £10m
    6. I'd invest in property and hire a manager to manage my properties. £20m
    £33.15m)
    7. Drugs & Hookers £54.85m

BOOM £88m gone...but with some income from properties...

I think option 7 might kill you pretty quickly....
  • Stick it on Red
  • With interest rates as they are it is difficult to find a safe bolt hole for that sort of mon...e...y

Nah coke and whores!
  • Sponsored links:

• A GT car and bugger off touring round Europe in it until I get sick of travelling.
    An acreage close to the mountains in Alberta, Canada with a big workshop to hold lots of toys and do hobbies in.
    Flat in central London.
    House on the South Island of New Zealand with a similar setup to the one in Canada.
    Switch between Canada and New Zealand so as to avoid the winters in each, stop over in London on the way to visit family, catch some football , get some european culture etc.
    Miscellaneous holidays to interesting parts of the world as the mood takes me.
  • Buy Cowdenbeath football club.
  • See my answer in the If you could own any car thread.
  • There was a programme on the radio a few weeks ago that had interviewed several big money lottery winners. None have done since what they said they would do, apart from looking after family, and real friends plus the odd charity.
  • I’d wait for Palace to be relegated.
    Then I would buy them.
    Then I would close them down.

Are you actually Roland?
  • Sponsored links:

• WSS said:

PaddyP17 said:

I have a big plan in place. It's boring, but oh well. Given lottery winners are tens or hundreds of times more likely to be murder victims; robbed; die of a drug overdose; be kidnapped; bankrupted; and so on - I've needed a cast-iron plan.

These numbers, of course, aren't exact.

1a. TELL NO-ONE. (At least, not immediately, despite the likely urge.)

1b. Get on to Camelot. They know what to do. Insist on anonymity when they come round, and all that.

1c. Hire a lawyer. Ideally a proper big nob lawyer, partner at a firm, that sort of thing.

2. Still TELL NO-ONE. I'm not going public. I'm probably not telling family or friends yet, as much as is possible. I will "fall ill", or something.

3a. Tell my lawyer I intend to give £15m of this jackpot to family and friends. This will NOT be in the form of a lump sum. I may, however, clear a few debts (student loans, mortgages, what have you).

Trust funds going through stock indices and what have you shall be set up for my cousins; money shall go toward an annuity from which my brother can pull money out of/house deposit/that sort of thing, if he so wants; and for my parents and other relatives etc etc.

Get lawyer/accountant to sort all that out. This leaves £73m.

3b. I'll take £3m to myself "for the time being" (immediate expenses e.g. my lawyer, maybe an accountant, buying a property quickly so I can do all this in private). This leaves £70m.

(Might have to do 3b immediately post-Camelot as part of step 1, but who knows)

4. If possible, dump £15m in UK government bonds that should be paying at around 2-3% (or another govt, if possible). That should be a bona fide income of, hopefully, £300k-450k a year. That is rock solid money. If the UK stops paying on their government debt, then money is nowhere near our biggest worry. This leaves £55m.

5. Be boring again and dump £30m into an index fund, with low fees. Hopefully said fund will pay out at around 4%. In 20 years, that £30m becomes £65m. Tidy. This leaves £25m.

------------

So - I have now, hopefully, guaranteed myself an income of at least £300k a year unless the Bank of England is burning; provided for family and friends in a way they would never have imagined; and I have a huge pot in the form of an index fund that will keep growing at market rates.

Life is good, so step 6:

------------

6a. Donate perhaps £10m, if that, to charity. Likely contenders are Anthony Nolan, Alzheimers Research, and NSPCC.

6b. Tell everyone I've won £8m* on the lottery, and do what I want! Buy a couple of houses here and abroad, go on holidays to wherever, party with mates, maybe invest in a couple of fun-looking startups, maybe even go back to university.

(*£8m being roughly the sort of amount I reckon would set oneself up for life - I'd still have £7m left.)

Sorted.

Not sure you've thought about this enough, Paddy.

What about the coke and tarts?
    That's what the £7m that I've not told anyone about is for. And one of the startups I might invest in could be a brothel.
  • A GT car and bugger off touring round Europe in it until I get sick of travelling.
    An acreage close to the mountains in Alberta, Canada with a big workshop to hold lots of toys and do hobbies in.
    Flat in central London.
    House on the South Island of New Zealand with a similar setup to the one in Canada.
    Switch between Canada and New Zealand so as to avoid the winters in each, stop over in London on the way to visit family, catch some football , get some european culture etc.

You might have revise your plans, New Zealand have just banned foreigners buying property.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-45199034
  • edited August 2018

A GT car and bugger off touring round Europe in it until I get sick of travelling.
    Flat in central London.

You might have revise your plans, New Zealand have just banned foreigners buying property.
    Okay, add get a lawyer and obtain New Zealand Citizenship
  • edited August 2018

A GT car and bugger off touring round Europe in it until I get sick of travelling.
    Flat in central London.

Okay, add get a lawyer and obtain New Zealand Citizenship

And I'm sure there will be ways around that if you're actually living in the house 6 months of the year.

• Would sign these imaginary players Bowyer keeps going on about.
  • PaddyP17 said:

I have a big plan in place. It's boring, but oh well. Given lottery winners are tens or hundreds of times more likely to be murder victims; robbed; die of a drug overdose; be kidnapped; bankrupted; and so on - I've needed a cast-iron plan.

These numbers, of course, aren't exact.

1a. TELL NO-ONE. (At least, not immediately, despite the likely urge.)

1b. Get on to Camelot. They know what to do. Insist on anonymity when they come round, and all that.

1c. Hire a lawyer. Ideally a proper big nob lawyer, partner at a firm, that sort of thing.

2. Still TELL NO-ONE. I'm not going public. I'm probably not telling family or friends yet, as much as is possible. I will "fall ill", or something.

3a. Tell my lawyer I intend to give £15m of this jackpot to family and friends. This will NOT be in the form of a lump sum. I may, however, clear a few debts (student loans, mortgages, what have you).

Trust funds going through stock indices and what have you shall be set up for my cousins; money shall go toward an annuity from which my brother can pull money out of/house deposit/that sort of thing, if he so wants; and for my parents and other relatives etc etc.

Get lawyer/accountant to sort all that out. This leaves £73m.

3b. I'll take £3m to myself "for the time being" (immediate expenses e.g. my lawyer, maybe an accountant, buying a property quickly so I can do all this in private). This leaves £70m.

(Might have to do 3b immediately post-Camelot as part of step 1, but who knows)

4. If possible, dump £15m in UK government bonds that should be paying at around 2-3% (or another govt, if possible). That should be a bona fide income of, hopefully, £300k-450k a year. That is rock solid money. If the UK stops paying on their government debt, then money is nowhere near our biggest worry. This leaves £55m.

5. Be boring again and dump £30m into an index fund, with low fees. Hopefully said fund will pay out at around 4%. In 20 years, that £30m becomes £65m. Tidy. This leaves £25m.

------------

So - I have now, hopefully, guaranteed myself an income of at least £300k a year unless the Bank of England is burning; provided for family and friends in a way they would never have imagined; and I have a huge pot in the form of an index fund that will keep growing at market rates.

Life is good, so step 6:

------------

6a. Donate perhaps £10m, if that, to charity. Likely contenders are Anthony Nolan, Alzheimers Research, and NSPCC.

6b. Tell everyone I've won £8m* on the lottery, and do what I want! Buy a couple of houses here and abroad, go on holidays to wherever, party with mates, maybe invest in a couple of fun-looking startups, maybe even go back to university.

(*£8m being roughly the sort of amount I reckon would set oneself up for life - I'd still have £7m left.)

Sorted.

£7m you say?? Just enough to pay off the ex-directors and get the takeover back on track
  • @PaddyP17 nice plan cuz!