Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post match views MK Dons vs Charlton: Lge Cup 1st Rd

124»

Comments

• Options
    razil said:

Perhaps the physicality in terms of fitness and energy is more demanding now.

JamesSeed said:

I'm not even sure what the point of entering cup competitions is if we're not going to take it seriously?

T'is a fair point but it's not Bowyer's fault we have a squad of about 14 players. Would obviously have been a stronger side if we'd had Pearce, Fosu, Clarke, Reeves and JFC fit for the league games.

But Bowyer simply wasn't going to risk his only 2 senior centre backs, his only 2 senior centre mids and his only 2 decent strikers and none of us can really blame him.
    I wonder what teams did 30 years ago when most clubs had a "squad" of around 15-18 players anyway. Look back at the records........virtually every club played their 1st team players - injuries are part & parcel of football. I watched a programme recently about Forest's European Cup glories of the late 70's / early 80's. Ian Bowyer (no relation chaps) said that he played all the league games (42) plus all the cup games that season - around 70 he reckoned (remember replay after replay & 2 -legged ties)

Did any of our players get injured ?? Yes, I know we are down to our bare bones but playing just 2 players that started on Saturday is not the way to go imo. Maybe rest a couple or at least have some on the bench. Just hope it was worth it as I now expect to hammer Accrington on Saturday as they lost 6-1 last night so must be cannon fodder. (I also know that they rested a few players too....)

PS. This was the League cup you know...........a cup that leads to a place in Europe if you win it. probably more important than " we're concentrating on the league" seeing as to me that only means surviving this season.
    Imagine thinking the League Cup is more important than the league. Yeah lets concentrate on a tinpot cup, get to the 3rd/4th round and go out to a prem side, then we can concentrate on the league with an even more decimated squad, at least we nearly got into Europe ay.

Get a grip Golfie.
    Lets just see at the end of the season if finishing 16th is better than a trip to Wembley to watch us play Spurs..........ala Wimbledon last season.
    I’m sort with Golfie on this one (again, not sure what that means).
    Playing three matches a week on muddy Welsh pitches was the making of Jimmy Seed blah blah etc
    I have to say I don't understand how teams played on far worse pitches, kicked lumps out of each other and managed with a small squad. Were the players just tougher?
    I think they are more finely honed than they used to be; like a finely tuned racing car, prone to going wrong. I think playing the three matches a week was all the fitness training they needed back in Jimmy’s Mid Rhondda days.

• Options
    JamesSeed said:

razil said:

JamesSeed said:

I'm not even sure what the point of entering cup competitions is if we're not going to take it seriously?

T'is a fair point but it's not Bowyer's fault we have a squad of about 14 players. Would obviously have been a stronger side if we'd had Pearce, Fosu, Clarke, Reeves and JFC fit for the league games.

But Bowyer simply wasn't going to risk his only 2 senior centre backs, his only 2 senior centre mids and his only 2 decent strikers and none of us can really blame him.
    I wonder what teams did 30 years ago when most clubs had a "squad" of around 15-18 players anyway. Look back at the records........virtually every club played their 1st team players - injuries are part & parcel of football. I watched a programme recently about Forest's European Cup glories of the late 70's / early 80's. Ian Bowyer (no relation chaps) said that he played all the league games (42) plus all the cup games that season - around 70 he reckoned (remember replay after replay & 2 -legged ties)

Did any of our players get injured ?? Yes, I know we are down to our bare bones but playing just 2 players that started on Saturday is not the way to go imo. Maybe rest a couple or at least have some on the bench. Just hope it was worth it as I now expect to hammer Accrington on Saturday as they lost 6-1 last night so must be cannon fodder. (I also know that they rested a few players too....)

PS. This was the League cup you know...........a cup that leads to a place in Europe if you win it. probably more important than " we're concentrating on the league" seeing as to me that only means surviving this season.
    Imagine thinking the League Cup is more important than the league. Yeah lets concentrate on a tinpot cup, get to the 3rd/4th round and go out to a prem side, then we can concentrate on the league with an even more decimated squad, at least we nearly got into Europe ay.

Get a grip Golfie.
    Lets just see at the end of the season if finishing 16th is better than a trip to Wembley to watch us play Spurs..........ala Wimbledon last season.
    Playing three matches a week on muddy Welsh pitches was the making of Jimmy Seed blah blah etc
    I have to say I don't understand how teams played on far worse pitches, kicked lumps out of each other and managed with a small squad. Were the players just tougher?
    I think they are more finely honed than they used to be; like a finely tuned racing car, prone to going wrong. I think playing the three matches a week was all the fitness training they needed back in Jimmy’s Mid Rhondda days.

There is no such thing as playing 3 games a week.
    Saturday Tuesday
    Saturday Tuesday
    Saturday Tuesday
    Repeat until bored equals 2 games a week.
  • Options

JamesSeed said:

razil said:

JamesSeed said:

Get a grip Golfie.

Saturday Tuesday
    Saturday Tuesday
    Saturday Tuesday
    Wot, Never on a Sunday!?
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

razil said:

JamesSeed said:

Get a grip Golfie.

In the old days, they weren't monitored every step of the way: could take foot off gas and hide for a bit. Now everything is recorded as evidence, including those bra things that measure precisely how far they run during the game.

• Options
    Didn't someone post about having a couple of pints with Killer BEFORE the match?
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

JamesSeed said:

razil said:

JamesSeed said:

Get a grip Golfie.

Saturday Tuesday
    Saturday Tuesday
    Saturday Tuesday
    Wot, Never on a Sunday!?
    Still only 2 games James.
    Now come on and give us something to cheer tonight is the takeover happening.
  • Options

JamesSeed said:

JamesSeed said:

razil said:

JamesSeed said:

Get a grip Golfie.

Saturday Tuesday
    Saturday Tuesday
    Saturday Tuesday
    Wot, Never on a Sunday!?
    Still only 2 games James.
    I don’t know what you mean.
  • Options

Didn't someone post about having a couple of pints with Killer BEFORE the match?

Don't think anyone worried about booze and diet so much back in the day - if social media had been present most players would have been f***ed.
  • Options
    edited August 2018

Yeah, but that was 1924.

• Options
    seth plum said:

300 or so fans cared enough to travel.
    If we had staggered through we might have got a home draw against someone like West Ham, would have brought people in to the ground, and some money in too.
    We have had some very enjoyable League Cup runs and results in our history, Chelsea's first home defeat under Mourinho for example, the QPR game with the massive Valley crowd.
    I am not going to kid myself losing last night doesn't matter because to me it does.
    It is also the first time I can recall a Charlton manager not taking command of a first team fixture.
    Bowyer says he expects his future to be sorted soon. OK, I like him so far but I wouldn't want to see a lassaiz faire, almost 'disposable' attitude creeping in, and it is down to Bowyer to set the tone.
    Last night was another in the series of the club slapping the fans in the face in my view because some experienced players were needed in the team.

P.S. Did Valley Pass commentary eventually work? Anybody know?

But I thought we don't want money into the club ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    Oggy Red said:

Yeah, but that was 1924.

Actually 1919/20 just before he joined Spurs
  • Options
    Was Phillips playing a sign that Steer will replace him in goal Saturday? If not then why did Steer not get a gun out?
  • Options

Was Phillips playing a sign that Steer will replace him in goal Saturday? If not then why did Steer not get a gun out?

I know they call keepers shot stoppers, but this is a first, I’ve never heard of a keeper actually getting a gun out :wink:
  • Options

seth plum said:

If we had staggered through we might have got a home draw against someone like West Ham, would have brought people in to the ground, and some money in too.
    We have had some very enjoyable League Cup runs and results in our history, Chelsea's first home defeat under Mourinho for example, the QPR game with the massive Valley crowd.
    I am not going to kid myself losing last night doesn't matter because to me it does.
    It is also the first time I can recall a Charlton manager not taking command of a first team fixture.
    Bowyer says he expects his future to be sorted soon. OK, I like him so far but I wouldn't want to see a lassaiz faire, almost 'disposable' attitude creeping in, and it is down to Bowyer to set the tone.
    Last night was another in the series of the club slapping the fans in the face in my view because some experienced players were needed in the team.

But we do want bums on seats, which comes with playing success, which comes with an owner who desires playing success.
    The game was an indicator as to how much the absentee owner cares about playing success.
    Bums on seats inevitably brings some money in, that is more or less unavoidable, but as I say, if they came because of footballing success somebody is doing something right.
    The result last night will be replicated as the season continues unless something changes. These youngsters might have a spring in their step in the Autumn sunshine, but the away slogs on Tuesday nights in November and February in some distant northern stadium may prove a step too far.
  • Options

Ha ha what planet do you live on? We're a league one side with a severely depleted squad and you want to play a full strength side in the 1st round because it leads to a place in Europe? We'd have to fucking win the thing to get in Europe!

No doubt you'd have been straight on here moaning at Bowyer if he'd played a first choice side and Bauer and Taylor had gone off injured.
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    Thanks @Fanny Fanackapan @Carl Leaburn for your summaries of the game.
  • Options
    edited August 2018

If Steer I’d going to shoot our players, I think it’s best he goes back to Villa.
  • Options
    seth plum said:

seth plum said:

But we do want bums on seats, which comes with playing success, which comes with an owner who desires playing success.
    The game was an indicator as to how much the absentee owner cares about playing success.
    Bums on seats inevitably brings some money in, that is more or less unavoidable, but as I say, if they came because of footballing success somebody is doing something right.
    The result last night will be replicated as the season continues unless something changes. These youngsters might have a spring in their step in the Autumn sunshine, but the away slogs on Tuesday nights in November and February in some distant northern stadium may prove a step too far.
    Supporting Charlton on CL is such a brain ache these days.
    We've got fans calling for a boycott to reduce RD's revenue.
    Then we have Seth, one of RD's greatest critics saying,

"If we had staggered through we might have got a home draw against someone like West Ham, which would have brought people in to the ground, and some money in too."

The whole situation is a quandary and I'm not having a pop at Seth or anyone.
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    So would potentially have been away to Bournemouth had we won - Of course depend on whether we'd been the same ball No.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

So would potentially have been away to Bournemouth had we won - Of course depend on whether we'd been the same ball No.

Have we played them since the 1-0 in the L1 title season?
  • Options

14/15 when they won the Championship
  • Options

Because Steer is match fit and not one of those defenders is going to be a fixture of the first team defence unless injuries get REALLY bad. Phillips might as well play and keep his eye in.
  • Options
    Scoham said:

14/15 when they won the Championship
    How could I forget their title celebrations! :blush: