Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post match views MK Dons vs Charlton: Lge Cup 1st Rd

Comments

• Options
    Macronate said:

Definitely there.

To me, that is not proof as he's not moving or anything.

How do we know that's not a mannequin?
    Judging by the crowd behind him it’s about halfway through the first half
  • Options
    Highlights can be found here... http://www.skysports.com/football/mk-dons-vs-charlton/391886

Feel really sorry for Cummings for that third - Would want to shoot Mascoll (?) for the second though, what's he doing standing there holding his head after being out muscled for the header, just get on with it or if not then go down!! ... Seems like Hackett-Fairchild might not be a bad option from the bench this season, unlucky not to score
  • Options

I'm not even sure what the point of entering cup competitions is if we're not going to take it seriously?

T'is a fair point but it's not Bowyer's fault we have a squad of about 14 players. Would obviously have been a stronger side if we'd had Pearce, Fosu, Clarke, Reeves and JFC fit for the league games.

But Bowyer simply wasn't going to risk his only 2 senior centre backs, his only 2 senior centre mids and his only 2 decent strikers and none of us can really blame him.
  • Options
    I actually thought this was a checkatrade game, hence the development squad we put out. Will blame the tinpot Carabao branding for that.

Glad the young lads got a run out but I would have at least liked to be in the hat for a decent cup tie. Nevermind.
  • Options
    The proverbial nudge to old Roly that the squad is beyond thin, unlike the Ian Abrahams.
  • Options

Highlights can be found here... http://www.skysports.com/football/mk-dons-vs-charlton/391886

Feel really sorry for Cummings for that third - Would want to shoot Mascoll (?) for the second though, what's he doing standing there holding his head after being out muscled for the header, just get on with it or if not then go down!! ... Seems like Hackett-Fairchild might not be a bad option from the bench this season, unlucky not to score

First goal is Sunday league stuff
  • Options

I'm not even sure what the point of entering cup competitions is if we're not going to take it seriously?

T'is a fair point but it's not Bowyer's fault we have a squad of about 14 players. Would obviously have been a stronger side if we'd had Pearce, Fosu, Clarke, Reeves and JFC fit for the league games.

But Bowyer simply wasn't going to risk his only 2 senior centre backs, his only 2 senior centre mids and his only 2 decent strikers and none of us can really blame him.
    Back in the day teams wanted to do well in the cups despite only having small squads - it just shows how low status these competitions have become.
  • Options
    seth plum said:

300 or so fans cared enough to travel.
    If we had staggered through we might have got a home draw against someone like West Ham, would have brought people in to the ground, and some money in too.
    We have had some very enjoyable League Cup runs and results in our history, Chelsea's first home defeat under Mourinho for example, the QPR game with the massive Valley crowd.
    I am not going to kid myself losing last night doesn't matter because to me it does.
    It is also the first time I can recall a Charlton manager not taking command of a first team fixture.
    Bowyer says he expects his future to be sorted soon. OK, I like him so far but I wouldn't want to see a lassaiz faire, almost 'disposable' attitude creeping in, and it is down to Bowyer to set the tone.
    Last night was another in the series of the club slapping the fans in the face in my view because some experienced players were needed in the team.

P.S. Did Valley Pass commentary eventually work? Anybody know?

Given the team that was put out the club should refund the fans - no attempt to treat it as a first team fixture.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2018
    seth plum said:

If we had staggered through we might have got a home draw against someone like West Ham, would have brought people in to the ground, and some money in too.
    We have had some very enjoyable League Cup runs and results in our history, Chelsea's first home defeat under Mourinho for example, the QPR game with the massive Valley crowd.
    I am not going to kid myself losing last night doesn't matter because to me it does.
    It is also the first time I can recall a Charlton manager not taking command of a first team fixture.
    Bowyer says he expects his future to be sorted soon. OK, I like him so far but I wouldn't want to see a lassaiz faire, almost 'disposable' attitude creeping in, and it is down to Bowyer to set the tone.
    Last night was another in the series of the club slapping the fans in the face in my view because some experienced players were needed in the team.

Yes, but they used a mobile phone rather than the normal system.
  • Options
    edited August 2018

seth plum said:

Given the team that was put out the club should refund the fans - no attempt to treat it as a first team fixture.
    The 'Club' is the Rat, burger boy and truckman of late, none of whom would even consider refunding fans especially as Bowyer made it public knowledge after the Shrewsbury game what side he was putting out.

Full respect to all those who still made the trip though your dedication to the cause is most admirable.
  • Options
    I would just like to say that I take my hat off in slightly bemused respect to anyone who bothered going last night. Looks like we had a couple of hundred hardy souls there.
  • Options

Slightly strange that it was Jacko doing the after match comments, if Bowyer was there

Absolute disgrace. I have it on good authority.
  • Options
    edited August 2018

I wonder what teams did 30 years ago when most clubs had a "squad" of around 15-18 players anyway. Look back at the records........virtually every club played their 1st team players - injuries are part & parcel of football. I watched a programme recently about Forest's European Cup glories of the late 70's / early 80's. Ian Bowyer (no relation chaps) said that he played all the league games (42) plus all the cup games that season - around 70 he reckoned (remember replay after replay & 2 -legged ties)

Did any of our players get injured ?? Yes, I know we are down to our bare bones but playing just 2 players that started on Saturday is not the way to go imo. Maybe rest a couple or at least have some on the bench. Just hope it was worth it as I now expect to hammer Accrington on Saturday as they lost 6-1 last night so must be cannon fodder. (I also know that they rested a few players too....)

PS. This was the League cup you know...........a cup that leads to a place in Europe if you win it. probably more important than " we're concentrating on the league" seeing as to me that only means surviving this season.
  • Options

I wonder what teams did 30 years ago when most clubs had a "squad" of around 15-18 players anyway. Look back at the records........virtually every club played their 1st team players - injuries are part & parcel of football. I watched a programme recently about Forest's European Cup glories of the late 70's / early 80's. Ian Bowyer (no relation chaps) said that he played all the league games (42) plus all the cup games that season - around 70 he reckoned (remember replay after replay & 2 -legged ties)

Did any of our players get injured ?? Yes, I know we are down to our bare bones but playing just 2 players that started on Saturday is not the way to go imo. Maybe rest a couple or at least have some on the bench. Just hope it was worth it as I now expect to hammer Accrington on Saturday as they lost 6-1 last night so must be cannon fodder. (I also know that they rested a few players too....)

PS. This was the League cup you know...........a cup that leads to a place in Europe if you win it. probably more important than " we're concentrating on the league" seeing as to me that only means surviving this season.
    Imagine thinking the League Cup is more important than the league. Yeah lets concentrate on a tinpot cup, get to the 3rd/4th round and go out to a prem side, then we can concentrate on the league with an even more decimated squad, at least we nearly got into Europe ay.

Get a grip Golfie.
  • Options

To boost our academy graduate stats (ignoring the fact that some were signed as pro's at 18/19 and some might never play for the first team again).
  • Options

Imagine thinking the League Cup is more important than the league. Yeah lets concentrate on a tinpot cup, get to the 3rd/4th round and go out to a prem side, then we can concentrate on the league with an even more decimated squad, at least we nearly got into Europe ay.

Get a grip Golfie.
    Lets just see at the end of the season if finishing 16th is better than a trip to Wembley to watch us play Spurs..........ala Wimbledon last season.
  • Options

Get a grip Golfie.
    Lets just see at the end of the season if finishing 16th is better than a trip to Wembley to watch us play Spurs..........ala Wimbledon last season.
    Even if we could somehow guarantee we got Spurs away (lol), would you take a game at Wembley and going down or no Wembley and coming 16th? I certainly know what I would prefer.
  • Options

Get a grip Golfie.
    Nobody is saying the League Cup is more important than the League - the point is clubs took these competitions more seriously in the past despite having small squads. Both the League and FA Cup are losing their status.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Get a grip Golfie.
    Wouldn't we have had a different ball number and therefore a different draw compared to Wimbledon?
  • Options

Get a grip Golfie.
    Nobody is saying the League Cup is more important than the League - the point is clubs took these competitions more seriously in the past despite having small squads. Both the League and FA Cup are losing their status.
    I think the FA Cup might yet regain some status, but it'd have to be at the expense of the League Cup. We can keep the paint trophy if they kick out the academies
  • Options
    Difficult to believe that we have to pay money to watch this rubbish. Go to Sparrows Lane and watch it for free this season if you have that much time on your hands.
  • Options

Back in the day the club had a reserve side that played in a league. This meant injured players could be covered by a match fit player.

There were no substitutes either let alone 5 or 7 players on the bench.

The players also wore proper boots which protected their feet. (Mind you the studs could do serious damage to others.
  • Options
    Scoham said:

Get a grip Golfie.
    Wouldn't we have had a different ball number and therefore a different draw compared to Wimbledon?
    No. The ball number is related to your tie number in the previous round.

The only exception to that is when the League clubs enter the comp, in the First Round or Third Round as appropriate; they are numbered in alphabetical order starting with ball number 1, and then the previous round winners are in draw order.

It didn't matter who had won our tie or if it had been a draw, we'd have had the same number in the Third Round draw.
  • Options

Get a grip Golfie.
    I’m sort with Golfie on this one (again, not sure what that means).
    Playing three matches a week on muddy Welsh pitches was the making of Jimmy Seed blah blah etc
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

Get a grip Golfie.
    I’m sort with Golfie on this one (again, not sure what that means).
    Playing three matches a week on muddy Welsh pitches was the making of Jimmy Seed blah blah etc
    I have to say I don't understand how teams played on far worse pitches, kicked lumps out of each other and managed with a small squad. Were the players just tougher?
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    That picture has obviously been doctored from the Belgian bat twat cave... Boooo!!!
  • Options
    Perhaps the physicality in terms of fitness and energy is more demanding now.
  • Options
    razil said:

Perhaps the physicality in terms of fitness and energy is more demanding now.

It's fair to say that in the old days players could booze, smoke, eat badly, be relatively unfit and carry a bit of spare weight.