Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Aretha Franklin

Sad news that she is gravely ill.

A true legend and one of the greatest voices with which the world of popular music has ever been graced.

In my thoughts.

Comments

• Agreed a truly great singer
  • I'll say a little prayer for her. Hope she recovers.
  • edited August 2018
    Sad news, but she has been unwell for a few years.

The greatest female singer ever.

Take a listen, no better live version anywhere. Great piano and vocal intro as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9-yfeA2JZs
  • Fight the good fight Aretha,,,,,fight the good fight.
  • seth plum said:

She has enriched our lives, and enriched world culture, I hope she can recover.

Can’t argue with that Seth.
  • bobmunro said:

A true legend and one of the greatest voices with which the world of popular music has ever been graced.

In my thoughts.

I remember Dave Godin playing me "I Never Loved A Man" to me in his Soul City record shop in Depford High Street in 1967 and the goose bumps I felt hearing Aretha for the first time.

I bought thr 45 rpm single on red Atlantic there and then, which I still have to this day.

Hoping and praying the Queen of Soul pulls through.

• THE Queen of Soul and one of the all time great voices.

Hope she pulls through
  • Please not another legend to disappear. Keep fighting and get well soon.
  • Sponsored links:

• One of the greatest female singers, I will say a little pray for her
  • Great great singer who i hope graces us for a while yet. But the greatest ever? Maybe female blues and soul singer? There's one to debate forever.

Get well soon.
  • Just one for this very special lady.

RESPECT.
  • Poor lady has been I'll for ages, can't beat Aretha. Mind blowingly good singer and her records have helped me out over the years I was DJing
  • Yeah. Big call to call her the undisputed greatest. Lots to recommend - she had a stunning voice and a huge personality, but personally I prefer Etta and Nina. Hope she can pull through, though not looking hopeful :cry:
  • This is about as funky as it gets: https://youtu.be/KB5sMYw37gw
  • Fantastic voice and delivery, whatever happens with her current situation she will never leave us, or our kids who we play her music to,

Hopefully not to theirs either. Styles may change but real class is for sure permanent.

• bobmunro said:

In my thoughts.

I remember Dave Godin playing me "I Never Loved A Man" to me in his Soul City record shop in Depford High Street in 1967 and the goose bumps I felt hearing Aretha for the first time.

I bought thr 45 rpm single on red Atlantic there and then, which I still have to this day.

What a story!

I love telling people that a chap from Bexleyheath was responsible for helping put Motown on the map in the UK and, if the story is to be believed, coined the phrase “Northern Soul.” They never seen as amazed as me though....

Good luck Aretha, everything crossed.
  • Blues Brothers film was probably my intro to Aretha. What a woman she is. Powerful in all ways. Come on old girl give it all you got.
  • Sponsored links:

• HandG said:

bobmunro said:

In my thoughts.

What a story!

I love telling people that a chap from Bexleyheath was responsible for helping put Motown on the map in the UK and, if the story is to be believed, coined the phrase “Northern Soul.” They never seen as amazed as me though....

Yep, Dave lived in Church Road. I was at school at Graham Road from 1961 to '66 and after seeing an ad for his magazine F.A.R.B.S (Friends of American Rhythm and Blues) in the Record Mirror with his address on I knocked on his door one day on my way home.

He asked me in gave me the latest issue and showed me some of his awesome record collection.

Lovely man, sadly passed away in 2004.

• McBobbin said:

This is about as funky as it gets: https://youtu.be/KB5sMYw37gw

Hard now to imagine just how different and brilliant these clips from Black US TV shows were compared to TOTP and other mainstream pop shows at the time. And the dancing.

Great song too.
  • Whenever the dreaded sad day comes, George is waiting for her - and she knows it.
  • HandG said:

bobmunro said:

In my thoughts.

What a story!

Yep, Dave lived in Church Road. I was at school at Graham Road from 1961 to '66 and after seeing an ad for his magazine F.A.R.B.S (Friends of American Rhythm and Blues) in the Record Mirror with his address on I knocked on his door one day on my way home.

He asked me in gave me the latest issue and showed me some of his awesome record collection.

Lovely man, sadly passed away in 2004.

Cheers for that-good to hear he was a nice bloke.

Bought this book at a Motown exhibition which details when he and the Tamla Motown Appreciation Society flew some of the acts over. It includes photos of the Four Tops having a drink in the Bear & Ragged Staff in Crayford and the Marvelettes playing a pub in Abbey Wood. Also the TMAS stamp with Godin’s address.
  • edited August 2018
    @HandG & @mistrollingin That Pub in Abbey Wood was the Harrow Inn.

See tweet and photo below;
  • I saw the film Amazing Grace yesterday which features two sets by the amazing Aretha performed at a Los Angeles Baptist Church doing mainly Gospel stuff. Very powerful stuff if you like Aretha Franklin at all even though Gospel music is certainly not my bag. Worth a watch.
  • I saw the film Amazing Grace yesterday which features two sets by the amazing Aretha performed at a Los Angeles Baptist Church doing mainly Gospel stuff. Very powerful stuff if you like Aretha Franklin at all even though Gospel music is certainly not my bag. Worth a watch.
    Saw this at the cinema - definitely a watch for Gospel music fans.
  • RedChaser said:
    @HandG & @mistrollingin That Pub in Abbey Wood was the Harrow Inn. See tweet and photo below;
    Oooh ! I used to frequent The Harrow on Friday nights in the mid 60's. 

And The Black Prince on Sundays.
  • RedChaser said:
    @HandG & @mistrollingin That Pub in Abbey Wood was the Harrow Inn. See tweet and photo below;
    Fantastic!