Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Athletics Thread

Dina Asher Smith smashing a gold at the Euro Champs with a British Record and world lead 10.85.

From Orpington and runs for Blackheath & Bromley. Also seems to Ben the worlds nicest person.

Well done Dina !

Comments

• And Hughes and Prescod follow up with a 1-2 with both dipping under 10 seconds.

Rare golden night for British sprinting
  • And Hughes and Prescod follow up with a 1-2 with both dipping under 10 seconds.

Rare golden night for British sprinting

Well if the best sprinters in the world aren't allowed to compete.....
  • What side was it on @AFKABartram ? Was looking for it earlier and couldnt find it!
  • JohnBoyUK said:

What side was it on @AFKABartram ? Was looking for it earlier and couldnt find it!

BBC1
  • Hopefully after Brexit we won't have to compete against those pesky Europeans!
  • Great to see Laura Muir rewarded with gold for a typical gutsy effort
  • Can I be the first to congratulate Laura Muir and say how refreshing it is, to see a women's middle distance race with no men competing
    :smile:
  • Sponsored links:

• Gold for the men too, fantastic performance
  • McBobbin said:

Dina Asher Smith picking up another gold in an excellent 4*100 relay final. Well done to the ladies!

She is outrageously good
  • McBobbin said:

Dina Asher Smith picking up another gold in an excellent 4*100 relay final. Well done to the ladies!

She is outrageously good
    Would love to see her as fit & strong as she is now against the Americans & Jamaicans.
  • edited August 2018

Been a very good and entertaining champs with two absolute stars of the future breaking through. Jakob Ingebrigtsen and Armand Duplantis winning golds at 17 and 18 years old! Ridiculously talented.

Dina was also awesome and at 22(?) is going to be in the mix for medals at majors for a few years yet.

That series of vaults was incredible in any circumstances but even more so when you consider he is only 18 and competing in a strength event.

Only Bubka has ever gone higher as far as I know.
  • LenGlover said:

Only Bubka has ever gone higher as far as I know.

yep, though a few others have also jumped 6.05 including lavillenie

it was great to see lavillenie's reaction each time duplantis cleared a height

muir, mccolgan and asher smith are my 3 favourite athletes to watch right now so it was fantastic to see them all pick up medals tonight. Muir is just the best, mccolgan ran her own race to got the reward she deserved and asher smith is like watching bolt at his best, I can't have been the only one celebrating as she took the baton in 4th place knowing it was all over

• Did Duplantis not try to clear any further heights or did they just stop the coverage?
  • Pleased for Dartford's finest too- Adam Gemili - after disappointing in the individual sprints.
  • Did Duplantis not try to clear any further heights or did they just stop the coverage?

I think the organisers said "That's enough, you need to let the others think they've got a chance next time".
  • Sponsored links:

he retired without attempting 6.10 which would have been the next height
  • Asher Smith looking the real deal. Could be near her peak at the next Olympics.
  • Not only did Salpeter put in a sprint finish 1 lap too early, she was already disqualified for a breakline violation in the first half a lap. first training session back someone needs to be taught how to run 5,000m
  • edited August 2018
  • Pleased for Dartford's finest too- Adam Gemili - after disappointing in the individual sprints.

We have been lucky enough to make 5 sessions of the athletics in Berlin! Truly amazing performances, British and others. Saw Adam and all the winners tonight looking very happy! Shame the relay teams didn't get their medal ceremonies tonight. Great experience and loved Berlin, as haven't been here since 1973! Going back to a very different check point Charlie tomorrow!
    Wow ! Glad you enjoyed your trip !

Every time a major championship ends, I google where the following one will be held, just in case we save enough pennies to attend....I note that the venues for the 2nd of the "new edition" of the European Championships are due to be announced any time soon with London being possibly involved.

I can't believe it was 32 years ago that we took the family to the '86 Games in Stuttgart after the LA Olympics in '84.

We then "left" the kids with their grandparents in '87 when we went to Rome for the World Champs.

There's nothing like actually being at a major event of this kind IMO.

We have been lucky enough to make 5 sessions of the athletics in Berlin! Truly amazing performances, British and others. Saw Adam and all the winners tonight looking very happy! Shame the relay teams didn't get their medal ceremonies tonight. Great experience and loved Berlin, as haven't been here since 1973! Going back to a very different check point Charlie tomorrow!
    Wow ! Glad you enjoyed your trip !

Every time a major championship ends, I google where the following one will be held, just in case we save enough pennies to attend....I note that the venues for the 2nd of the "new edition" of the European Championships are due to be announced any time soon with London being possibly involved.

I can't believe it was 32 years ago that we took the family to the '86 Games in Stuttgart after the LA Olympics in '84.

We then "left" the kids with their grandparents in '87 when we went to Rome for the World Champs.

There's nothing like actually being at a major event of this kind IMO.
    Fantastic to be there, I agree. Keep me posted if you discover the venues. We booked our tickets for this meet during the World Championship last year as prices reduced.
  • Rosie Clarke, who came 10th in last night's steeplechase, has a Charlton supporting brother and her Gran used to go to The Valley in the Bartram era.
  • @Raith_C_Chattonell said:

WADA expected to lift sanctions against Russia today.

To recap. Back in 2016, when Russia was discovered to have masterminded the biggest doping scandal of the 21st century, it was decreed that the only way back into competition for this sporting pariah was to comply fully with all the conditions of Wada’s so-called roadmap, which included accepting the findings of the McLaren report into the affair, and granting Wada access to Moscow’s anti-doping laboratory. Neither of these conditions have been met.

So the Russians are to be trusted again? Was it only a few weeks ago that two Russian agents were intercepted en route to the Swiss chemical lab tasked with the old switcheroo trick, albeit with nerve agent rather than urine samples. The Russians it seems have found yet another way to carry on taking the piss
  • UK Anti Doping have written to WADA demanding that they do not reinstate Russia.