Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Mike Franklin RIP

edited August 2018 in General Charlton
Thanks to @ShootersHillGuru, a friend of Mike's during his time with Charlton, for bringing it to the museum's attention that William Michael Franklin, who played 13 times in goal for the Addicks between 1972 and 1974, passed away peacefully at the Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital, Wonford, aged 62, last year.

Comments

• Much too young sadly...RIP
  • such sad news RIP
  • edited August 2018
    RIP Addick
  • RIP. I would have seen most of those games he played in goal...
  • Sponsored links:

• RIP Mike. Far too early.
  • RIP......Mike......RIP
  • RIP. Sad news.
  • Thanks to Henry for posting.

I was a close friend of Mikes back then. We lived in the same road ( Kinveachy Gardens) where Mike had “digs” via the club. Played cricket together for Tiverton Taverners and shared far too many beers. Those were the days when players enjoyed a few pints.

Mike was a Tiverton in Devon lad and returned there directly he was released by the club.

I lost contact with Mick over the years apart from a brief reunion in the late 80’s.
    It’s sad but I only discovered his death when trying to look him up as these days I spend quite a lot of time in Devon since my daughter moved there in 2017. I was hoping to meet up with him.

Trust me when I say that Mike was a gentle giant of a man and was very likeable and good company. You all would have taken to him.

RIP Mick

Lovely story, SHG. RIP Mike

Anyone else thinks he looks a lot like another keeper from that era, Graham Tutt?

• The original picture.

Quite a few Charlton legends in that squad.
  • Very sad. Definitely saw him play but memory dimmed by the years.
  • Remember him from my youth. Not much older than me. As the saying goes, enjoy yourself, it’s later than you think. RIP Mike Franklin #Addick
  • Sponsored links:

• addick05 said:

Very sad. Definitely saw him play but memory dimmed by the years.

This.

Sad news. I remember him being about the same age as me.

RIP Mike.
  • RIP.

Just before my time.
  • Pedro45 said:

RIP. I would have seen most of those games he played in goal...

Same here RIP.
  • RIP Mike, I also saw most of he's games
  • Lost his place in goal to Tutt circa 1974, same time as Nelson and the club released John Dunn.

Seemed quite a fair 'keeper to me at the time.

62 is too young...