Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Malta

2»

Comments

• TEL said:

Went once many years ago, wouldn’t ever go back, the toilet of the Med.

Margate?
  • cafcfan said:

Greenie said:

cafcfan said:

Greenie said:

cafcfan said:

Went to Malta a few years back. Would never return. Apart from it being a dump with mostly crap beaches.
    The incessant noise of shotguns as the locals enjoy slaughtering as many of the migrating birds as they possible can every year turns the stomach.

Despite being against EU legislation the politicians and police do nothing (except arrest Chris Packham of course).

Do not give this shithole any of your money until it changes its ways.

Oh yes I forgot to mention that, there were guns going off everywhere, it was like Beirut, it was incessant, never stopped, morning noon and night, bang, bang, bang, every local has a shotgun, and stand on street corners shooting, and as for the dead birds, couldnt even see the pavement or beaches for dead birds, millions of dead birds, I wont even mention the feathers...do me a favour.....what a crock.....!

Go to Malta, its a beautiful place to visit.
    Thank you for your most erudite input.

But you are right about a couple of things. First Malta does indeed have the highest density of hunters per capita in all of Europe. Second maybe millions is correct. Some estimates are 3mn per year. Others less, maybe only 300 per square kilometer.

The thing is, most tourists won't see or hear the slaughter because it happens in the spring and autumn on the migration routes.

Do wildlife a favour and don't support the economy of this boring, dusty, down-at-heel, low quality holiday destination. But if you do, enjoy the sights:

So because its a traditional thing a very few Maltese do, you think its Ok to tell people that Malta is a shit hole?
    On that basis dont go to Spain (bullfighting) Africa (big game hunting) Florida (big game sea fishing) I could go on, and they are all shit holes?
    We had a badger cull last year in the UK, so by your twisted logic no one should come to the UK?
    Many many countries have cultural traditions, that we may not agree with, thats why visiting places broadens the mind, but it seems to have narrowed yours.

Also that lisping fool Packham broke the law thats why he was arrested. No one else broke the law.
    https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2017/apr/19/chris-packham-charged-in-malta-after-confrontation-with-bird-hunters

Malta and its people are well worth visiting.
    Lovely. You question the breadth of my mind, then in the next sentence describe someone with Asperger's as a lisping fool?

Setting aside the bird thing, there are thousands of places in Europe that are so much better than Malta if you want to visit somewhere. It is so low-rent it makes Blackpool look like Cap Ferrat.
    You do realise that in being so OTT in your opinions no one is taking you seriously.
    None of us like the bird shooting culture but that doesn’t mean that Malta as a place to visit should be so harshly described.
    Excuse the pun but you’ve shot yourself in the foot old chap.
  • It's not just birds they shoot in Malta.
  • Great place...they drive on the left but the roads in many places are a bit rough. Where you are looking to stay is very English orientated as is Qwra nearby. But you have a bus station nearby. Buses are great and go to all over the island. If you hire a car be aware road direction signs are sparse, and their driving is manic.
  • Great place...they drive on the left but the roads in many places are a bit rough. Where you are looking to stay is very English orientated as is Qwra nearby. But you have a bus station nearby. Buses are great and go to all over the island. If you hire a car be aware road direction signs are sparse, and their driving is manic.

On my one visit to Malta thirty years ago I remember the roads being quite exciting. I think I'm going to go back next year as it seems a good place for a cheap holiday and MOST people seem quite positive about the place.
  • edited August 2018
    cafcfan said:

Greenie said:

cafcfan said:

Greenie said:

cafcfan said:

Greenie said:

cafcfan said:

Went to Malta a few years back. Would never return. Apart from it being a dump with mostly crap beaches.
    The incessant noise of shotguns as the locals enjoy slaughtering as many of the migrating birds as they possible can every year turns the stomach.

Despite being against EU legislation the politicians and police do nothing (except arrest Chris Packham of course).

Oh yes I forgot to mention that, there were guns going off everywhere, it was like Beirut, it was incessant, never stopped, morning noon and night, bang, bang, bang, every local has a shotgun, and stand on street corners shooting, and as for the dead birds, couldnt even see the pavement or beaches for dead birds, millions of dead birds, I wont even mention the feathers...do me a favour.....what a crock.....!

But you are right about a couple of things. First Malta does indeed have the highest density of hunters per capita in all of Europe. Second maybe millions is correct. Some estimates are 3mn per year. Others less, maybe only 300 per square kilometer.

The thing is, most tourists won't see or hear the slaughter because it happens in the spring and autumn on the migration routes.

Do wildlife a favour and don't support the economy of this boring, dusty, down-at-heel, low quality holiday destination. But if you do, enjoy the sights:

So because its a traditional thing a very few Maltese do, you think its Ok to tell people that Malta is a shit hole?
    On that basis dont go to Spain (bullfighting) Africa (big game hunting) Florida (big game sea fishing) I could go on, and they are all shit holes?
    We had a badger cull last year in the UK, so by your twisted logic no one should come to the UK?
    Many many countries have cultural traditions, that we may not agree with, thats why visiting places broadens the mind, but it seems to have narrowed yours.

Also that lisping fool Packham broke the law thats why he was arrested. No one else broke the law.
    https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2017/apr/19/chris-packham-charged-in-malta-after-confrontation-with-bird-hunters

Lovely. You question the breadth of my mind, then in the next sentence describe someone with Asperger's as a lisping fool?

Setting aside the bird thing, there are thousands of places in Europe that are so much better than Malta if you want to visit somewhere. It is so low-rent it makes Blackpool look like Cap Ferrat.
    Who knew that Aspergers caused someone to turn into a fool? As far as I am concerned it doesn't...oh I see, you either think it does, or you're playing the victim card by proxy. Well done.
    Who knew that you could try to change the strength of your personal abuse by not repeating the "lisping" bit now you've read that it's a fairly common symptom of Asperger's?

Good try but we've all read your thoughtless, mean-spirited and disparaging remark and know what you meant.

Or was the fool comment really because his intelligence, success against the odds, awards, and education make you feel just a tiny bit inferior?

Or are there more reasons why you think he's a fool, either lisping or otherwise?
    You're not gonna give up are you.

I dont give a toss wether 'lisping fool' Packham has Aspergers or not, it does not make any difference to me, as it happens I didn't know, so my (cheeky) attack was on Packham, as he irritates me, not on his or anyone else's Aspergers. But you chose to take it in that direction in your further responses, in a very lame attempt to deviate it away from your ludicrous opinion of Malta and its good people, and also to deflect (very basic tactics used in a debate) that Packham was arrested quite rightly for breaking the law, so I guess that makes him a fool who happens to have a lisp.
    I also notice you didn't come back about my comments on Spain etc, because as you must have realised, I made a very strong argument against your ridiculous comments.
    I think I'll draw a line under this now. Its getting dull.

Anyway, for anyone else, go to Malta its nice.
  • Greenie said:

cafcfan said:

Greenie said:

cafcfan said:

Greenie said:

cafcfan said:

Greenie said:

cafcfan said:

Who knew that Aspergers caused someone to turn into a fool? As far as I am concerned it doesn't...oh I see, you either think it does, or you're playing the victim card by proxy. Well done.
    Who knew that you could try to change the strength of your personal abuse by not repeating the "lisping" bit now you've read that it's a fairly common symptom of Asperger's?

Good try but we've all read your thoughtless, mean-spirited and disparaging remark and know what you meant.

Or was the fool comment really because his intelligence, success against the odds, awards, and education make you feel just a tiny bit inferior?

Or are there more reasons why you think he's a fool, either lisping or otherwise?

I dont give a toss wether 'lisping fool' Packham has Aspergers or not, as it happens I didn't know, so my (cheeky) attack was on Packham, as he irritates me, not on his or anyone else's Aspergers. But you chose to take it in that direction in your further responses, in a very lame attempt to deviate it away from your ludicrous opinion of Malta and its good people, and also to deflect (very basic tactics used in a debate) that Packham was arrested quite rightly for breaking the law, so I guess that makes him a fool who happens to have a lisp.
    I also notice you didn't come back about my comments on Spain etc, because as you must have realised, I made a very strong argument against your ridiculous comments.
    I think I'll draw a line under this now. It getting dull.

He didn't break the law. The bent local plod and illegal hunters tried to set him up. Unfortunately for them it was all filmed. The Judge commented: 'Is it any wonder we have problems when the police are acting like this?"

So, he irritates you and must therefore be a fool? I understand now.

Anyway, for anyone else Malta is really not worth going to. Apart as maybe a day trip to see Valetta's fortifications.
  • cafcfan said:

Greenie said:

cafcfan said:

Greenie said:

cafcfan said:

Greenie said:

cafcfan said:

Greenie said:

cafcfan said:

I dont give a toss wether 'lisping fool' Packham has Aspergers or not, as it happens I didn't know, so my (cheeky) attack was on Packham, as he irritates me, not on his or anyone else's Aspergers. But you chose to take it in that direction in your further responses, in a very lame attempt to deviate it away from your ludicrous opinion of Malta and its good people, and also to deflect (very basic tactics used in a debate) that Packham was arrested quite rightly for breaking the law, so I guess that makes him a fool who happens to have a lisp.
    I think I'll draw a line under this now. It getting dull.

He didn't break the law. The bent local plod and illegal hunters tried to set him up. Unfortunately for them it was all filmed. The Judge commented: 'Is it any wonder we have problems when the police are acting like this?"

So, he irritates you and must therefore be a fool? I understand now.

Anyway, for anyone else Malta is really not worth going to. Apart as maybe a day trip to see Valetta's fortifications.
    If you don't look for anything positive in a place you probably won't find it.
  • edited August 2018
    Greenie said:

cafcfan said:

Greenie said:

cafcfan said:

It would certainly influence my own personal choice of holiday destination, and as I mentioned earler I didnt think it was anything special in the first place.
  • I would say that Malta at least feels 'authentic' and is a real functioning place unlike some tourist destinations which seem solely geared to their foreign visitors.
  • Sponsored links:

On my one visit to Malta thirty years ago I remember the roads being quite exciting. I think I'm going to go back next year as it seems a good place for a cheap holiday and MOST people seem quite positive about the place.
    Where you are staying is quite good, not far from medina, selima etc. If you hire a car take a day trip to gozo and enjoy.
  • Went to Malta last year with my wife and our three kids. Loved it. Was really cheap, the locals are friendly and there is some great scenery. Of course it’s very British in parts, but you can easily avoid the Irish bars etc, or you can embrace it if you fancy a fry up, sky sports and some dodgy live music. Did a boat tour to a couple of the islands which involved visiting a couple of beaches too. Fantastic.

Where you are staying is quite good, not far from medina, selima etc. If you hire a car take a day trip to gozo and enjoy.
    Went to Gozo on my last visit - loved it.
  • edited August 2018
    I went in May to Qawra. To be honest the whole place is very shabby, lots of either half built or half collapsed buildings everywhere and the roads and pavements are in a shocking condition. But there are loads of amazing places to visit, the Maltese are lovely and it's really cheap!

If you want to laze on a sandy beach it's not really the place as they're rare, mostly rocky coastline.

Visit Valletta, Mdina, Gozo (Gozo people hate Maltese people!) and the fishing village in the south, can't spell the name.

Take the local buses, get a pass, it's cheap and reliable but NOBODY QUEUES so just fight your way on!
  • Wilma said:

I went in May to Qawra. To be honest the whole place is very shabby, lots of either half built or half collapsed buildings everywhere and the roads and pavements are in a shocking condition. But there are loads of amazing places to visit, the Maltese are lovely and it's really cheap!

If you want to laze on a sandy beach it's not really the place as they're rare, mostly rocky coastline.

Visit Valletta, Mdina, Gozo (Gozo people hate Maltese people!) and the fishing village in the south, can't spell the name.

Take the local buses, get a pass, it's cheap and reliable but NOBODY QUEUES so just fight your way on!

If you want a beach holiday in Malta you can't beat Mellieha Bay (Ghadira) in the north of the island. Spectacular views across the bay to the town as well, especially around sunrise/sunset with the Sepulchre silhouetted against the sky. Lovely place and nice people.