Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Malta

Anyone been on holiday there recently ? I'm thinking of possibly going next year.

Last time I went was about 30 years ago and I imagine it may have changed a bit.

Comments

• Spitfires have left by now...
  • Went to Bugibba last year. I love Malta. A beautiful little country!

What's Bugibba like - one of the hotels I'm looking at is based there.

What's Bugibba like - one of the hotels I'm looking at is based there.
    We went last year and stayed in the Topaz. I thought it was a decent place , relatively cheap and found the locals friendly
  • Pedro45 said:

Spitfires have left by now...

I was there in June 2016, first time back since 1980, loved it, brilliant island, steeped in history and loads of cultural influences from the Moores to the Arabs plus of course us Brits.
    Stayed at The Seashells Hotel, Qawra 4 Star, it was pretty good especially as we more or less paid bugger all for all inclusive.
    Use the various tour buses, excellent value for money.
    Will go back one day. As @Chrissy\\\'s Army!! said I love Malta. A beautiful little country.
    The Spitfires are still there. Go to the RAF museum in Ta' Qali, well worth a visit.
    https://www.maltaaviationmuseum.com
  • Greenie said:

Pedro45 said:

I was there in June 2016, first time back since 1980, loved it, brilliant island, steeped in history and loads of cultural influences from the Moores to the Arabs plus of course us Brits.
    Stayed at The Seashells Hotel, Qawra 4 Star, it was pretty good especially as we more or less paid bugger all for all inclusive.
    Will go back one day. As @Chrissy\\\'s Army!! said I love Malta. A beautiful little country.
    The Spitfires are still there. Go to the RAF museum in Ta' Qali, well worth a visit.
    A friend went to Malta last year and was raving about it - I'm surprised how cheap it is!
  • Greenie said:

Pedro45 said:

A friend went to Malta last year and was raving about it - I'm surprised how cheap it is!
    Yes it still is, the only downside is that you are not guaranteed good weather.
    Also do the trips to the Islands of Gozo and Comino, I think the population on Comino is 3, thats right 3.
  • Greenie said:

Greenie said:

Pedro45 said:

Yes it still is, the only downside is that you are not guaranteed good weather.
    Also do the trips to the Islands of Gozo and Comino, I think the population on Comino is 3, thats right 3.
    Is there a Nandos there?
  • Lived there for a couple of years about 15 years ago. Have been going back now and then ever since.
    Great place, nice people.
    If you have teens, try and go when the music festival is on (Manoel is the location). Usually good current acts, not just the Venga Boys.
  • edited August 2018
    went out there for the England game last year, stayed in a cheap hotel in st Julians. choice of restaurants good and we done the big bus tour of the island getting off in Valletta and wandering around there for a few hours visiting "the pub" where Oliver reed had his last drinking session also full of naval relics and quite a cool place.

pretty cheap for eating and drinking - language isn't a problem because English is spoken everywhere, the local brew is cisk ( pronounced chisk) which there are a few variants of and is around 2/3 euro a pint
  • Sponsored links:

• edited August 2018
    stayed in the hilton, saint julians three years ago. there is a Scottish pub 5 minutes from the hotel, its run by an Englishman. it was shit.

other than that, I posted this on another thread three years ago
    hello mate, no real surprises in Malta.

outside the hotels the food was great everywhere we went (and cheap)

Drink wise, all local wines we tried are all very drinkable if not exceptional. local lager is cisk 4.2% (pronounced "chisk") and nice enough (I drank the cick excel 5%) and everywhere also stocks international lagers

Hotels are a lot more expensive but that will be the case in most places.

you will find waitroses dotted around if you need anything.

if you fancy a steak I would recommend buffalo bills by the Hilton, no frills steak house and I have honestly had worse steaks in goucho amongst other steak houses in the city.

soup, sides, salad cart, steak and choice of potato's, desert PLUS drinks including shots of limoncelo was 55euro's per adult (including tip)

if you fancy Thai, the blue elephant at the Hilton was also very nice.

the Avenue was also very nice food, great portions and again no frills.

but overall id recommend having a wonder and seeing what takes your fancy.

enjoy mate
  • edited August 2018
    Given Brexit them and Cyprus offer quick residency deals, giving us the access to Europe that JRM and Boris seek to deny us. Both married to foreigners who have no either right to be in the UK but seek to keep out Europeans that do. Oh and Jeremy Hunt. Is his wife Japanese or Chinese? Either way apart from marriage she has no justification to be here.
  • Nice proud country with friendly people - lots of interesting historical sites as well as the usual beaches etc. Very hot in summer.

Can feel a bit rough around the edges (roads not great etc) - Paceville is best avoided.
  • edited August 2018
    Went to Malta a few years back. Would never return. Apart from it being a dump with mostly crap beaches.
    The incessant noise of shotguns as the locals enjoy slaughtering as many of the migrating birds as they possible can every year turns the stomach.

Despite being against EU legislation the politicians and police do nothing (except arrest Chris Packham of course).

Do not give this shithole any of your money until it changes its ways.
  • cafcfan said:

Went to Malta a few years back. Would never return. Apart from it being a dump with mostly crap beaches.
    The incessant noise of shotguns as the locals enjoy slaughtering as many of the migrating birds as they possible can every year turns the stomach.

Dispite being against EU legislation the politicians and police do nothing (except arrest Chris Packham of course).

Do you work for the Maltese tourist board?
  • cafcfan said:

Dispite being against EU legislation the politicians and police do nothing (except arrest Chris Packham of course).

Yes, how could you tell?
  • cafcfan said:

cafcfan said:

Yes, how could you tell?
    By the glowing review!
  • Going on Monday so I will let you know.

Looking forward to doing very little, so I may not be the best judge of the place.

My old Dad was in the Malta convoy so will be taking a look at the War Museum and "The Gut" (Strait Street) that he spoke so much about. Sounds a bit like Soho.
  • cafcfan said:

Despite being against EU legislation the politicians and police do nothing (except arrest Chris Packham of course).

Oh yes I forgot to mention that, there were guns going off everywhere, it was like Beirut, it was incessant, never stopped, morning noon and night, bang, bang, bang, every local has a shotgun, and stand on street corners shooting, and as for the dead birds, couldnt even see the pavement or beaches for dead birds, millions of dead birds, I wont even mention the feathers...do me a favour.....what a crock.....!

Go to Malta, its a beautiful place to visit.
  • Not been over impressed in my brief visits there, lot nicer places to go to IMHO, like Corsica for instance.
  • Sponsored links:

• Greenie said:

cafcfan said:

Oh yes I forgot to mention that, there were guns going off everywhere, it was like Beirut, it was incessant, never stopped, morning noon and night, bang, bang, bang, every local has a shotgun, and stand on street corners shooting, and as for the dead birds, couldnt even see the pavement or beaches for dead birds, millions of dead birds, I wont even mention the feathers...do me a favour.....what a crock.....!

Thank you for your most erudite input.

But you are right about a couple of things. First Malta does indeed have the highest density of hunters per capita in all of Europe. Second maybe millions is correct. Some estimates are 3mn per year. Others less, maybe only 300 per square kilometer.

The thing is, most tourists won't see or hear the slaughter because it happens in the spring and autumn on the migration routes.

Do wildlife a favour and don't support the economy of this boring, dusty, down-at-heel, low quality holiday destination. But if you do, enjoy the sights:

• cafcfan said:

Greenie said:

cafcfan said:

But you are right about a couple of things. First Malta does indeed have the highest density of hunters per capita in all of Europe. Second maybe millions is correct. Some estimates are 3mn per year. Others less, maybe only 300 per square kilometer.

The thing is, most tourists won't see or hear the slaughter because it happens in the spring and autumn on the migration routes.

Do wildlife a favour and don't support the economy of this boring, dusty, down-at-heel, low quality holiday destination. But if you do, enjoy the sights:

So because its a traditional thing a very few Maltese do, you think its Ok to tell people that Malta is a shit hole?
    On that basis dont go to Spain (bullfighting) Africa (big game hunting) Florida (big game sea fishing) I could go on, and they are all shit holes?
    We had a badger cull last year in the UK, so by your twisted logic no one should come to the UK?
    Many many countries have cultural traditions, that we may not agree with, thats why visiting places broadens the mind, but it seems to have narrowed yours.

Also that lisping fool Packham broke the law thats why he was arrested. No one else broke the law.
    https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2017/apr/19/chris-packham-charged-in-malta-after-confrontation-with-bird-hunters

Malta and its people are well worth visiting.
  • Re the shooting, I hear the Italians are just as bad and as there are more of them, more birds die as a consequence.
  • Re the shooting, I hear the Italians are just as bad and as there are more of them, more birds die as a consequence.

the Cypriots too

• Greenie said:

cafcfan said:

Greenie said:

cafcfan said:

So because its a traditional thing a very few Maltese do, you think its Ok to tell people that Malta is a shit hole?
    On that basis dont go to Spain (bullfighting) Africa (big game hunting) Florida (big game sea fishing) I could go on, and they are all shit holes?
    We had a badger cull last year in the UK, so by your twisted logic no one should come to the UK?
    Many many countries have cultural traditions, that we may not agree with, thats why visiting places broadens the mind, but it seems to have narrowed yours.

Also that lisping fool Packham broke the law thats why he was arrested. No one else broke the law.
    https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2017/apr/19/chris-packham-charged-in-malta-after-confrontation-with-bird-hunters

Lovely. You question the breadth of my mind, then in the next sentence describe someone with Asperger's as a lisping fool?

Setting aside the bird thing, there are thousands of places in Europe that are so much better than Malta if you want to visit somewhere. It is so low-rent it makes Blackpool look like Cap Ferrat.
  • Well, this escalated quickly.

Classic CL.

Would anyone like to say anything rude about Margate?
  • Went once many years ago, wouldn’t ever go back, the toilet of the Med.
  • cafcfan said:

Greenie said:

cafcfan said:

Greenie said:

cafcfan said:

Lovely. You question the breadth of my mind, then in the next sentence describe someone with Asperger's as a lisping fool?

Setting aside the bird thing, there are thousands of places in Europe that are so much better than Malta if you want to visit somewhere. It is so low-rent it makes Blackpool look like Cap Ferrat.
    Can we have a snobbery thread about holiday destinations - you seem to be going a bit OTT about Malta.

Regarding Aspergers it's a bit patronising to say somebody with the condition can't act like a fool.

• cafcfan said:

Greenie said:

cafcfan said:

Greenie said:

cafcfan said:

Who knew that Aspergers caused someone to turn into a fool? As far as I am concerned it doesn't...oh I see, you either think it does, or you're playing the victim card by proxy. Well done.
  • Greenie said:

cafcfan said:

Greenie said:

cafcfan said:

Greenie said:

cafcfan said:

Who knew that Aspergers caused someone to turn into a fool? As far as I am concerned it doesn't...oh I see, you either think it does, or you're playing the victim card by proxy. Well done.
    Who knew that you could try to change the strength of your personal abuse by not repeating the "lisping" bit now you've read that it's a fairly common symptom of Asperger's?

Good try but we've all read your thoughtless, mean-spirited and disparaging remark and know what you meant.

Or was the fool comment really because his intelligence, success against the odds, awards, and education make you feel just a tiny bit inferior?

Or are there more reasons why you think he's a fool, either lisping or otherwise?