Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton v Shrewsbury | Sat 11 Aug | 3pm KO | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Charlton Athletic v Shrewsbury Town
Saturday 11th August 2018 … 3pm Kick-Off
Referee: Craig Hicks (Surrey)

Introduction

Football is a cruel game… Last Saturday saw Charlton opening their campaign away at Sunderland and almost began in some style – Deservedly leading for much of the game; Charlton legs would finally give out in the 96th minute with the home side managing to secure all three points in what was a 2-1 defeat for the Addicks.

Yet its time to roll out the red carpet (Oops sorry, cant afford it… forget the carpet) – Competitive football returns to the Valley for the first time in 93 days, and it begins against the team who ended our hopes last season… Shrewsbury Town!!

The Opposition
Name
: Shrewsbury Town | Manager: John Askey
Ground: The New Meadow

Of course, everyone knows the story of Shrewsbury’s season last time out so wont bother to bore you with it… Due to fan behaviour in their Play-Off Semi-Finals though you could say that their Wembley defeat to Rotherham was deserved and naturally due to their overachievements, a fire sale has taken place in Shropshire so for our opponents to challenge again this season would be an even more impressive achievement.

For a team built partly built on loanees, losing the likes of Ben Godfrey (less so Carlton Morris) and Jon Nolan was always going to be a tough ask so losing their Manager: Paul Hurst to Ipswich would make it harder – A narrow 1-0 defeat to Bradford on the opening day is always difficult to work out where a side will finish yet mid table should be an achievable target for Salop!!

So who has arrived at the club? – Well John Askey is a Macclesfield Town legend and won promotion last season from the Conference so will know how to get a side challenging, and will most likely set his side up in a 4-3-3- formation on Saturday – Signings have been quietly impressive with Charlie Colkett arriving on loan from Chelsea whilst fans appear to be raving about the free transfer signing of Alex Gilliead from Newcastle who impressed from the bench in their opening game.

Charlton Team News
I don’t think there is a Charlton fan out there who wasn’t impressed with the players performances against Sunderland last weekend which made their last minute defeat so much worse – Lewis Page got people worried the amount of times he needed treatment so may potentially be a concern, yet in all seriousness the biggest issue on the field is at Centre-Back

During the week Patrick Bauer all but stated that he wanted to leave and could still depart before the window closes this evening whilst Jason Pearce is the big injury worry having been on the end of a nasty challenge last week, a dependable leader, his absence will be sorely missed this Saturday if he fails to regain his fitness

Phillips
Solly | Bauer | Sarr | Page
Marshall | Aribo | Pratley
Lapslie
Taylor | Grant

Substitutes Bench: Maynard-Brewer | Maloney | Ajose | Hackett-Fairchild

Prediction
The opening day at the Valley is usually one of the highlights of the season yet with fans continuing to stay away (for understandable reasons) it’ll be sad to see the ground so empty – On the pitch the starting eleven should be able to hold their own yet if Shrewsbury resort to fouling that could greatly diminish our chances.

Comments

• If Bowyer sticks with the same formation it was actually a 3-5-2/5-3-2. Watching it I didn't realise, it just looked like Solly mostly stayed back while Marshall tracked back a lot.

Phillips
    Solly | Bauer | Sarr
    Marshall | Aribo | Pratley | Page
    Lapslie
    Taylor | Grant

Substitutes Bench: Maynard-Brewer | Maloney | Ajose | Hackett-Fairchild

Wouldn't be surprised if he goes back to 4-4-2 for this though.
  • Yeh was certainly an odd formation as Solly at times was out @ Right-Back yet others (like when he got the head injury) was in the middle of the park as originally thought it was Bauer or Pearce who'd gone down injured.

Only thing I could tell was the fact that Lapslie was sitting in the gap between Strikers and Midfield
  • We owe them one, they have lost a few players and manager so we will win 2-0, whilst we have half a team to play.
  • Here I go, feeling confident (where does that feeling come from), if Pearce is playing, I go for a 3-0 win, if not 2-1 win
  • Nice to see that they finalized the sales of Nolan and Nsiala a couple days ago. Happy to see the backs of them, along with Godrey who has gone back to Norwich, Dean Henderson has left, and none of their replacements jump out at me as upgrades.

That said, we're probably going to have four players on the bench, only one with any sort of substantive senior experience. Hopefully the likes of Doughty, Blumberg, and Mascoll will be drafted into the squad. They are better than literally nothing.

I think we might knick something, but I think a draw or loss where we concede late on looks more likely at this stage. Our players will tire and they will not be replaced.
  • 2-1 defeat and more injuries. All the fun of the fair !
  • I think we will have a full bench for this one. As Roland won't have to pay for train tickets, overnight stays and lots of cups of tea, we should be able to name a few youngsters as substitutes - Doughty, Maloney, Bowry, Blumberg, and maybe even Sarmiento (why not if we don't sell him today!)? If Bauer/Aribo goes, and nobody comes in, we can let fans sit on the bench so it looks better.
  • Pedro45 said:

I think we will have a full bench for this one. As Roland won't have to pay for train tickets, overnight stays and lots of cups of tea, we should be able to name a few youngsters as substitutes - Doughty, Maloney, Bowry, Blumberg, and maybe even Sarmiento (why not if we don't sell him today!)? If Bauer/Aribo goes, and nobody comes in, we can let fans sit on the bench so it looks better.

Not Bowry - he's gone on loan to Hampton & Richmond.

• Callum Harriott likewise
  • Sponsored links:

• LenGlover said:

Callum Harriott likewise

Harriott seems to be injured again... Cousins was on the bench for QPR last week
  • Shrewsbury has gone through the churn .. they'll still be organised and hard to beat, they'll still get stuck in .. it'll be a typical 3rd strata game that we're gonna have to cope with if we're to be successful ..
    I was encouraged with the display at Sunderland .. yes, we might have a few new injuries to cope with but the players will be fitter and we look better up front than last year

CAFC 2 v Shrewsbury Town 0
  • I’m expecting Shrewsbury to adopt a pretty physical approach to try and wear us down.

Good that Ipswich have signed the two players - especially Nolan - but I can’t see us winning this one. The silence on Jason Pearce is ominous and we have nothing on the bench to shore things up when the team starts to tire. I can see it ending in a draw, which at least gets something on the board.
  • edited August 2018
    I'm hearing from my sources, who are much better than anyone else's sources, that it'll be 2-1.
  • We will get beat!
  • Won't be there. Reckon it'll be 1-1, we'll get something with Taylor, but won't be able to hold on and Shrewsbury will remain agricultural. Suspect we'll pick up an injury as well.
  • 5 - 1 to the Addicks

Grant, Marshall (2) and Taylor (2) with the goals. Sarr gives away a pen.

Covered End mocks the Shrewsbury fans with chant of "Bowyer, Bowyer, what's the score?"
  • 1-1 Be leading on 90 mins and let a soft goal in during 6 minutes of injury time and hang on for a draw in a game we created several chances and should have had won by half time
  • I think practically any result is possible.
  • 0-2 defeat.
  • Sponsored links:

• I think practically any result is possible.

Usually is in a football game, bravo :wink:
  • I see you only have 4 on the bench, FA, it looks like after a few games we could have no one on the bench, unless we can get Keith Peacock out of retirement.
    1-1
  • I see you only have 4 on the bench, FA, it looks like after a few games we could have no one on the bench, unless we can get Keith Peacock out of retirement.
    1-1

Yeh sadly did it deliberately, maybe it was to save on hotel rooms etc. as Pedro joked above and that we'll see Morgan on there if he's recovered from whatever injury he's got - Sadly doubt it though
  • JamesSeed said:

I'm hearing from my sources, who are much better than anyone else's sources, that it'll be 2-1.

I told you that in confidence James, I will not tell you anything again :smiley:
  • Can't see past a 0-5 defeat.
  • Yeah, but will the fella in the orange shirt be there?
  • I'm ITK and it'll be 0-0.
  • 0:0

But then injury time will come with its golden (shower? ) kiss
  • It's an important game in many ways. If we play as well as we did first half at Sunderland and win the game, it should help us to keep going to a fashion. If we lose, get injuries, lose players to red cards or any the other things that can go wrong, we could crumble quickly. I see Bowyer as capable as getting the best out of the meagre resources he has available, but if the players' belief in what is possible goes downhill, we could be hanging around the bottom of this crappy league.