Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

PGA Championship 2018

So this isn't on BBC this year, nor Sky again. In case you hadn't seen, it is only live online - Eleven Sports have the first two rounds free on Facebook then you have to sign up for £6 a month (or quit after your free trial week).

https://www.elevensports.uk/

It's not ideal but it is cheaper than me buying Now TV for the week (£13 per major), plus there is the bonus of foreign football once all leagues kick off. I suppose long-term this is how we will watch more of our live sport.

Golf wise, I don't know much about Bellerive but apparently the greens are going to be slow and little bobbly. Tiger Woods (paraphrased) said "it's going to be hot, wet, and favour people who hit the ball high." In practice they've just had a break for thunderstorms and it sounds like that'll be happening a lot this week.

I've bet on Tony Finau E/W, it does sound like a Rory course so hopefully he turns up.

Comments

• Not USPGA related but a nice little golf story. I came into a VIP ticket for the Staysure PGA seniors tournament at the London Club last Friday. As it turned out it entitled us to free grub in the players lounge and access all areas in the course so we wandered around on the fairways inside the ropes watching Monty and McGinley which was a nice treat. At lunch we sat beside Rocca, Remesy and Van de Velde, all of whom had played in the morning. All were charming company, especially Jean. My mate who, how shall we put it, is not backward at coming forward had one of those moments that has you spitting out your drink. I said something along the lines of “you boys got the best of the draw as it’s going to be horribly warm out there this afternoon for Monty and the rest”. Jean said “I wa so hot this morning I felt like jumping into the lake” to which my mate retorted “well, you’ve got a bit of previous for doing that mate!” I nearly pissed myself. Jean took it very well. He did say that he has had similar remarks pretty much every day for the last 19 years. He reckons that decision to roll his trousers up and climb in cost him his marriage. Lovely man.
  • RedPanda said:

So this isn't on BBC this year, nor Sky again. In case you hadn't seen, it is only live online - Eleven Sports have the first two rounds free on Facebook then you have to sign up for £6 a month (or quit after your free trial week).

It's not ideal but it is cheaper than me buying Now TV for the week (£13 per major), plus there is the bonus of foreign football once all leagues kick off. I suppose long-term this is how we will watch more of our live sport.

Golf wise, I don't know much about Bellerive but apparently the greens are going to be slow and little bobbly. Tiger Woods (paraphrased) said "it's going to be hot, wet, and favour people who hit the ball high." In practice they've just had a break for thunderstorms and it sounds like that'll be happening a lot this week.

I've bet on Tony Finau E/W, it does sound like a Rory course so hopefully he turns up.

I find it staggering that one of golfs 4 majors is not on a "normal" tv channel. Its like The Champions League final only being available via whatsapp.

I expect most people over the age of 40 wont be watching it via facebook (how do you do that exactly) and most over 60's wont even have facebook

bonkers idea. I didn't even realise it was on this week as its not been advertised anywhere............and I have Sky & BT sport.
  • edited August 2018

RedPanda said:

I find it staggering that one of golfs 4 majors is not on a "normal" tv channel. Its like The Champions League final only being available via whatsapp.

I expect most people over the age of 40 wont be watching it via facebook (how do you do that exactly) and most over 60's wont even have facebook

bonkers idea. I didn't even realise it was on this week as its not been advertised anywhere............and I have Sky & BT sport.
    I have Facebook but I'm not sure. I guess you go on to their page and it'll have a playable link (beneath La Liga and Ronaldo advertising, obviously). I doubt you'll need a Facebook log in, if so I'll post it. Then at the weekend it'll be behind a pay wall on another of 11S's outlets. Hopefully there's a Smart TV/PS4 app so we're not all using HDMI cables or watching on 6 inch screens.

BBC don't care about golf sadly and I've no idea what happened to Sky showing it. I doubt it's money related for them so they must have fallen out with someone.
  • I'll try and pick it up online but it's ridiculous that one of the majors isn't available on TV. Looking for value, I've backed Finau e/w as well, he's finished in the Top 10 in the first 3 majors. Got 66-1 2 weeks ago. I also like Kyle Stanley & Olesen e/w, both played well last week.
  • Hasn't been on the BBC for years. The US PGA which has always been the poor relation of the Majors moves next year to May. Traditionally competed in August it is often forgotten as many fans are on holiday and other US sports reach important conclusions.
    So next year we have

Masters - April
    US PGA - May
    US Open - June
    The Open - July

Lovely! And with the Players back in it's old slot of March golf is sorted!
  • They could have the PGA every single month but if the vast majority of fans can't watch it then whats the point.
  • Riviera said:

Hasn't been on the BBC for years.

It was last year, stuck on the red button because of athletics. Everyone slated them for their poor efforts.

https://www.nationalclubgolfer.com/news/bbc-pga-championship-coverage/
  • edited August 2018
    Some absolutely fantastic groups along with the traditional 3 Major winners of the year.
    19:15 Brooks Koepka (US), Patrick Reed (US), Francesco Molinari (Ita)
    19:37 Jordan Spieth (US), Jon Rahm (Spa), Justin Rose (Eng)
    13:28 Martin Kaymer (Ger), Davis Love III (US), Rich Beem (US)
    13:39 Rickie Fowler (US), Hideki Matsuyama (Jpn), Ian Poulter (Eng)
    14:01 Jason Day (Aus), Phil Mickelson (US), Keegan Bradley (US)
    14:23 Rory McIlroy (NI), Justin Thomas (US), Tiger Woods (US)

Such a shame we have to watch it on Facebook. Anyway I'm at Lords!
  • Riviera said:

Some absolutely fantastic groups along with the traditional 3 Major winners of the year.

Sounds like the course will suit my mate Tony Finau , bet on him 3 times EW and won each time (not outright). Not checked odds yet, previously been at 80/70/70
  • Sky's dusdain for this years PGA shows no bounds. currently on their Golf channel are highlights from all 4 days of (what I assume to be) this years Players Championship. On a loop...2 hours for each days play. currently on is day 4. at 2pm its back to day 1, at 4pm its day 2, at 6 pm day 3.....I think you get the picture.

I think this is insane. A major is being held, which they have extensively covered in the past & they are showing re-runs of a completly different event.

wtf ???
  • Sponsored links:

• This is a joke, most PGA tournaments are on Sky Sports now. Annoying this one isn't, my mate said you can get free 7 day trial but i might not bother. Will keep an eye out on the live scores but just another different avenue for sports, dont mind if its on FB and can watch without signing up.
  • Sky's dusdain for this years PGA shows no bounds. currently on their Golf channel are highlights from all 4 days of (what I assume to be) this years Players Championship. On a loop...2 hours for each days play. currently on is day 4. at 2pm its back to day 1, at 4pm its day 2, at 6 pm day 3.....I think you get the picture.

I think this is insane. A major is being held, which they have extensively covered in the past & they are showing re-runs of a completly different event.

wtf ???

The PGA wanted £7.5m for the rights - as much as I despise Sky it's not disdain, rather a commercial decision.

Sky's contract with the other PGA events runs until 2021 I think - after then all US golf is likely to be on somewhere else - probably a streaming service, which is the way live sport on TV will go.
  • People moan at sky monopoly of sport.
    People moan when sport is bought by other companies.

go figure.
  • bobmunro said:

Sky's dusdain for this years PGA shows no bounds. currently on their Golf channel are highlights from all 4 days of (what I assume to be) this years Players Championship. On a loop...2 hours for each days play. currently on is day 4. at 2pm its back to day 1, at 4pm its day 2, at 6 pm day 3.....I think you get the picture.

wtf ???

The PGA wanted £7.5m for the rights - as much as I despise Sky it's not disdain, rather a commercial decision.

Sky's contract with the other PGA events runs until 2021 I think - after then all US golf is likely to be on somewhere else - probably a streaming service, which is the way live sport on TV will go.
    not for me it wont, unless I can watch it on a tv......which will mean buying a new one (how much for a 49/51 inch 4k thingy)
  • edited August 2018
    MrOneLung said:

People moan at sky monopoly of sport.
    People moan when sport is bought by other companies.

go figure.

I have been subscribing to sky for almost 30 years - also now paying BT sport too. I have no problem with companies buying sporting events but surely it should be via a medium that the majority of people watch. This is not Netflix or box sets or whatever it is that the under 40's watch nowdays. I bet the vast majority of golfers will not be watching the PGA Championship - I wonder if Jack Nicklaus or Nick Faldo are streaming it via Facebook ??

Also, there is no highlights package from either Sky or the BBC. This is one of golfs 4 majors fgs...........Even the Europro tour is shown on a weekly basis.
  • Riviera said:

Sounds like the course will suit my mate Tony Finau , bet on him 3 times EW and won each time (not outright). Not checked odds yet, previously been at 80/70/70
    +3 after 5, damn it.

I also went for DeChambeau, Woodland and Cantlay thankfully (not that they'll do much).
  • I got Poulter at 16/1 to be leading first round about ten minutes ago. 1/5 of the odds top 4.....
  • Just tried viewing via facebook. Got the official PGA page & tried to log in - 2 different ways & neither worked. I even sign up for some 5 day "free" site...........still nothing.

I give up. The PGA obviously aren't bothered with the older golfer & going for the under 30's. Good luck to them.
  • RedPanda said:

Riviera said:

+3 after 5, damn it.

I also went for DeChambeau, Woodland and Cantlay thankfully (not that they'll do much).
    Always the way, only put small on him. But normally starts well and been on good form. Didn't back anyone else, so wont follow if Tony goes out early. early days...
  • I went Finau, Bubba, Webb Simpson, and Matsuyama
  • Sponsored links:

• almost added deChambeau at last minute but decided against it, so bound to do well.
  • Just tried viewing via facebook. Got the official PGA page & tried to log in - 2 different ways & neither worked. I even sign up for some 5 day "free" site...........still nothing.

I give up. The PGA obviously aren't bothered with the older golfer & going for the under 30's. Good luck to them.

This is the Facebook link although I'm not sure it'll help you https://en-gb.facebook.com/ElevenSportsUK/

After a quick look at work, on mobile it's forcing me to enable/download the Facebook app (I usually access FB using Chrome).

To get that working on mobile I think you have to log into Facebook, which is really annoying for people like yourself.

The alternatives I believe are going to S11's website on a computer and taking the free trial for a week, or presumably their own mobile app is streaming it if you sign up for the trial.

This is pretty farcical. I don't think many people in the UK are going to be talking more so about the golf than the coverage.

• Anyone watching or able to watch?

Lots of complaints about the course. Not that it's bad per se but bomb it, knock it on, putt, no tactics needed like a normal tour stop.

Regarding S11we have someone who could be related to Danny Dyer and some bint who set the tone saying 'David Love'. Schwartzel was putting for a 62 yesterday and whilst they may not have control or the cameras, I don't think they even mentioned it.
  • Coverage on TSN1 for anyone with Kodi/IPTV.
  • Download the USPGA app. It has live coverage of certain three balls free of charge.
  • haven't watched a single moment if it.....and this is from someone who got up st 6.30 the other week to watch the first day of The Open.

I understand now how people can boycott our home games & be out shopping when we are playing.

total nonsense......or should that be nonce sense