Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Sport of Kings discussion thread

Comments

• Terribly sad. RIP
  • Glorious Goodwood starts today! Anyone got any fancies?

I seem to remember it was an absolute car crash for the punters last year...
  • 1.50 - Rainbow Rebel @ 9/1
    2.25 - Confiding @ 5/1
    3.00 - D'bai @ 8/1
    3.35 - n/a, maybe Desert Skyline to chase home Stradivarius?
    4.10 - lol nope. Rhydwyn has come in sharply, though, which is interesting
    4.45 - Pettochside @ 7/1
    5.15 - n/a but if I had to, then Kalagia @ 8/1
  • edited July 2018
    Stradivarius is buying money at 8/11
  • bobmunro said:

Obviously there is value in any price potentially, but I tend to think that at that sort of price you haven't found anything that isn't well known already!
  • bobmunro said:

Obviously there is value in any price potentially, but I tend to think that at that sort of price you haven't found anything that isn't well known already!
    I'm not saying it's too big - but seems a very fair price to me.
  • 1.50 - Tuff Rock e/w
    2.25 - Drogon e/w
    3.00 - Tip Two Win
    3.35 - No Bet
    4.10 - Napanook e/w
    4.45 - Boom The Groom e/w
    5.15 - Odessa e/w
  • 2 v backable faves so far.
  • Think I’ve finished last in the first 3 races
  • Sponsored links:

• That was the only one to let me down on a short price 5-fold. Dodgy little mug.
  • edited August 2018
    certainly is a glorious goodwood for bookies yet another red hot aob hyped machine lands plum last.

edit - when you make it easy for bookies they will make money - aob has confirmed that an illness has hit the camp and his horses are out of form and still people plough into them.
  • I hate Goodwood. Lovely place but I think 90% of the horse I’ve backed this week have found trouble and finished with plenty in hand. Glass Slippers yesterday and Star Rock today being the main two.
  • Some more thoughts for today - there's a few interesting runners:

1.50 - Red Verdon @ 4/1, who if recreating his form from Ascot is a huge player

2.25 - Ostilio @ 5/1

3.00 - I like Cape Byron e/w @ 18/1. Has a tough draw to overcome again - but shaped well last time, better than the result suggests.

3.35 - Battaash will probably piss up but I am happy enough in taking him on e/w at a massive price with Take Cover @ 33/1. His figures are 1214 in this race (with another second place in a different one at Goodwood), so he loves this track and a place is plausible.

4.10 - Leading Spirit, probably. Not much interest there

4.40 - you've seen Betty F @ 33/1 above

5.15 - You can do a lot worse than Celestial Force @ 16/1, or Groveman @ 12/1.
  • Betty F is 60/1 on Betfair and approx. 12/1 for a place .
  • edited August 2018
    dont usually do many bets on the flat but had a nice 16/1 win on sharjah at galway yesterday so having a little play on;

1.50 mirage dancer - 1st
    2.25 ostillio - 2nd
    3.00 master the world & poets society ew - nowhere & 2nd
    3.35 sioux nation
    4.10 alfie solomons ew
    4.40 lida ew
    5.15 candidate ew

small stakes just for a bit of fun.

pretty happy with that have made profit.
  • PaddyP17 said:

A friend sent me this:

Spotted something very interesting. 4.40 Goodwood - Betty F @ 33/1.

Lightly raced. Unexposed. Frankel filly. Jim Crowley rarely rides 33/1 shots but he gets the leg up here. Connections obviously think a huge amount of this horse throwing her into the Juddmonte on just her second start. She ran Threading (now rated 110) to half a length. Didn’t like the AW on next start and had a terrible draw at Ascot over 1m. Won back over 7f on firm ground on latest start holding a Godolphin horse that has since bolted up.

I am absolutely convinced off 92 carrying 8st11lb that this horse is very very well handicapped. Other than Dans Dream who ran in the 1000 Guineas this field is littered with listed and Group 3 horses. None of them have been thrown in a proper Grade 1 like this horse has and I think everything about this looks right. Trainer has a 28% place record at Goodwood which is a better strike rate than every other trainer in this race, and that includes the likes of Hannon, AOB, Haggas, Balding etc. J Noseda won this race in 2012 and It just stands out a mile for all the reasons stated

Just smashed this in from 66s to 40s on the exchange... If it wins I owe you a fewpints
  • Could be a statement in itself that they are running here rather than a handicap!
  • Sponsored links:

• edited August 2018
    3:00 I really fancy Master of the World and Escobar, but having the luck in running I’ve had this week, I’d avoid both these as they usually come late.
  • 3:00 I really fancy Master of the World and Escobar, but having the luck in running I’ve had this week, I’d avoid both these as they usually come late.

See what I mean. Don’t think I’ve seen a horse meet as much trouble in running as Escobar then.
  • 3:00 I really fancy Master of the World and Escobar, but having the luck in running I’ve had this week, I’d avoid both these as they usually come late.

See what I mean. Don’t think I’ve seen a horse meet as much trouble in running as Escobar then.
    Cos I backed it, sorry
  • Two 2nds and a fourth thus far. Frustrating.
  • That's one second I'm absolutely delighted with! Flat's never really been my game!!
  • A more prominent ride on Betty F and that would of finished in the money
  • Gah. Shame that.
  • bollocks one bet today at york on the fave in the 3.00 and it gets beaten by its fucking stable mate. roll on cheltenham
  • bollocks one bet today at york on the fave in the 3.00 and it gets beaten by its fucking stable mate. roll on cheltenham

Even worse when you have it in a double with Roaring Lion