Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Confirmed- Josh Magennis joins Bolton

Comments

• He will be the modern day Simon Makienok.
    Transferred, scored a hat trick for his new club, and never heard of again.
  • Wish him well - I'm sure he'll be glad to leave.

A decent enough player at this level with a good attitude.
  • Good luck Josh. You had your limitations but also your strengths. We will miss those strengths this season, no doubt about it. Not sure he is quite up to Championship standard, but I hope he proves me wrong as he never did less than try in a Charlton shirt, had some very good games for us, and was a likeable bloke off the pitch.
  • clive said:
    Interesting how he comments on Recco as an option

Don't want to keep dragging Ibiza up yet sounds like Bowyer doesnt expect him to be unavailable at any stage
  • Always feel sad to see a player with a good attitude leave. So it is with anger and resigned mind that I wish him all the best.

As my old nan would have said, "That Roland is getting right on my wires."

I on the other hand would say "Fuck Off Roland!!!!"

My wife said to me yesterday, if you could do something to rid Roland of all his wealth would you do it. Even as a reasonably pleasant bloke, if I say so myself, relaxing in the Antibes sunshine, it would be absolutely yes.
  • Doctor Kish thinks Ajose is leaving too.
  • CAFCTrev said:

Doctor Kish thinks Ajose is leaving too.

Here's hoping.
  • Would love Mr Cawley to put some headline piece in the South London Press online and in the paper that explains the crisis this Belgian has created from day one of his ownership up to now. He could ask me for comments if he feels that he can't because of his position as an unbiased journalist.

Beyond shameful! Lee Bowyer appears to be having to put on so much "spin" in his comments to Cawley in trying to mask the Belgian's intentional squad weakening, that he should be in the Test side. Whether it's being done for money reasons, or out of spite at fans, or to pressurise the Aussie consortium - possibly all three - this despicable owner continues to ruin our Club. No wonder Standard Liege fans aggressively rioted against him.
  • Sponsored links:

• I don’t think the budget that Bowyer has to work with would allow him to sign Ince, Ward and Dawkins or alternatives and still look at bringing in the loans targeted. I’m guessing Josh leaving was not seen by Lee as a disaster but more a way of stretching his budget. If we really wanted solely to cash in on players I think there are others that would fetch in more in fees. Josh and Ajose were big wages . Haven’t I seen somewhere that NA is on 8k per week ? I’m certain that a replacement for Magennis will arrive. I don’t think Josh was sold from under Bowyer.

Just as the Holmes sale stretched his budget to loan Kai Kai & Zyro - that went well.
  • If we beat Sunderlant there'll be no more 12/1 for the title.
  • Scoham said:

A Sign to me the deal is Dead with aussies

Because we sold a player for £200k? I think it’s just a sign Bowyer didn’t rate him.
    According to the Belfast Telegraph, Bolton had tried to sign him for £500k in January (https://belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/josh-magennis-signs-for-bolton-wanderers-37168309.html).

The mention about Bauer almost seems like the club offering BOGOF/multibuy deals to "customers"....

I'm a bit wary of Bowyer saying that no-one would be sold unless a replacement was lined up, rather than the deal agreed. It's a bit like me trying to suggest that I have (plucking the only current female celebrity he can remember out of the air) Taylor Swift lined up; not even I truly believe it will happen, and I am nothing if not delusional.

PS Disappointed to see Josh go, I don't think we were ever really set up to get the best out of him.
    The replacements are as lined up as the new contracts for Aribo, Bauer & Fosu.
  • JamesSeed said:

If we beat Sunderlant there'll be no more 12/1 for the title.

I think Sunderland will be pretty down if we beat them.
  • Sounds like he didnt want to be @ Charlton from January anyway

Shame as come May, could easily have been Charlton in the Championship and Bolton in League One had the Play-Offs / Relegation worked out differently
  • Think it was the Coventry game and we sat right at the front of the covered end so we could lob pigs or whatever it was on the pitch and Magennis had a beast of a game .
    We were up close and could see him bullying their centre halves for fun with every run and 50-50 shoulder charge , I’m sure he scored and assisted that day , he was virtually unplayable .
    I liked him but don’t think those days of dominating teams came around enough but I wish we’d kept him but wish him well in the future always came across as a nice fella

Yes, that was Magennis' best game by a country mile.
    If only he could have done it more often.
    (Lisbie v Liverpool).
  • edited July 2018
    Anyone that thought we would remotely be building on last season’s squad without departures hasn’t been paying attention. No idea if Josh was a big part of Bowyer’s plans or not but I’m sure the wages saved on Big Mac and possibly Ajose will add some wriggle room to LB in what is undoubtably a very tight budget.

Duchatelet wants out and is not going to be spending additional monies on anything he doesn’t have to. The squad is thin. Very thin and I expect our wage bill this coming season to be less than last.

Let’s just pray for a takeover before the Belgian buffoon does irreparable damage to the club.
  • se9addick said:

I think we will sign someone know Magennis has gone, possibly Dawkins. Problem being if it’s one out one in we are screwed because we need another 4/5 and only Ajose and maybe Reeves are players we wouldn’t miss

One in one out is ok in May. In August the one that is coming in has had a pre-season with another team or, worse, no pre-season at all (remember Reeves last year).
    It never is 1 in 1 out with us though when we always have so many players in on loan. But yeah can't disagree with your statement. To be honest it's getting boring, it happens every year under Roland and would have happened again irrespective of whether he was selling or not.

We will only even get a chance of progression/excitement when he's gone.
  • Ferryman said:

I don’t think the budget that Bowyer has to work with would allow him to sign Ince, Ward and Dawkins or alternatives and still look at bringing in the loans targeted. I’m guessing Josh leaving was not seen by Lee as a disaster but more a way of stretching his budget. If we really wanted solely to cash in on players I think there are others that would fetch in more in fees. Josh and Ajose were big wages . Haven’t I seen somewhere that NA is on 8k per week ? I’m certain that a replacement for Magennis will arrive. I don’t think Josh was sold from under Bowyer.

Just as the Holmes sale stretched his budget to loan Kai Kai & Zyro - that went well.
    mention of Zyro .. I wouldn't mind having him back on loan
  • Ferryman said:

I don’t think the budget that Bowyer has to work with would allow him to sign Ince, Ward and Dawkins or alternatives and still look at bringing in the loans targeted. I’m guessing Josh leaving was not seen by Lee as a disaster but more a way of stretching his budget. If we really wanted solely to cash in on players I think there are others that would fetch in more in fees. Josh and Ajose were big wages . Haven’t I seen somewhere that NA is on 8k per week ? I’m certain that a replacement for Magennis will arrive. I don’t think Josh was sold from under Bowyer.

Wow.......assume that is comic post of the week? Poor at best
  • Sponsored links:

• edited July 2018

Ferryman said:

all a matter of opinion
  • 27 and only gets a 2 year deal, seems strange.

If he has a good season, but Bolton struggle they will be forced to sell him as he will be in the final year of his contract
  • Ferryman said:

all a matter of opinion
    Had a few decent games but didn't look interested in last couple I saw. His performance against Rochdale as one of the worst I have ever seen in a Charlton shirt.
  • Ferryman said:

all a matter of opinion
    Had a few decent games but didn't look interested in last couple I saw. His performance against Rochdale as one of the worst I have ever seen in a Charlton shirt.
    probably something to do with him not getting a move in january, tbh i dont blame him he gets a lot of stick but then in our current situation most players are going to get pelters - but players know that before they sign.
  • Think it was the Coventry game and we sat right at the front of the covered end so we could lob pigs or whatever it was on the pitch and Magennis had a beast of a game .
    We were up close and could see him bullying their centre halves for fun with every run and 50-50 shoulder charge , I’m sure he scored and assisted that day , he was virtually unplayable .
    I liked him but don’t think those days of dominating teams came around enough but I wish we’d kept him but wish him well in the future always came across as a nice fella

Yes, that was Magennis' best game by a country mile.
    If only he could have done it more often.
    (Lisbie v Liverpool).
    He scored a hattrick against Bristol at home, I think that outdoes the Cov game.
  • Can anyone venture how much money Roland has received this window selling players? £4M?
  • edited July 2018

Last season we had games postponed on international weekend, dont have to worry this season

JDS-Gone
    Konsa-Gone
    Magennis-Gone

Definitely a positive outcome. International breaks interupt any momentum, increase the likelihood of a player getting injured or losing form because of a poor outcome of their international game, cause a fixture backlog that we rarely benefit from and most importantly piss off my weekend because we haven’t got a game
  • Ferryman said:

all a matter of opinion
    He was talking about Zyro
  • Ferryman said:

Thought he was excellent in his first game against Plymouth then tailed off. Must surely be fitter now than when he arrived.